What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High Grade Vintage Cannabis photography

D

Dalaihempy

Thia veryed a great deal my first experence with it was in 79 and i saw and smoked a lot of it grew it from the seeds we found in the mj imported in that was basicly ow seed store them days.

I saw it come in as sticks and in comprest brick form the best thia i rember came in a roll of papper with asia writing it was comprest rock hard the size of a sigar and had an almost incent smell to it that was around 80 or 81 but the opiumated thia was intresting to.

The quolity of thia realy started to drop around the mid 80s to say 87 then it stoped being imported in house.

The last few times i saw the imported thia it was infact rather poor quolity but most had good thia genetics growing here any way so it was not a big deal theres still pure old thia grown here genetics still to be found.

I must admit i larft at the comment that the old sats look like swag and the indoor stuff would blow it away funny that if they only knew the true quolity of the mj pictured in this post.

Brings back a lot of fond memorys this post i would gladly pay $500 for most of the old lines in this post for 10 seeds these lines are not going to give you a 2 hour tops affect like most commercial crap of today each sativa would give you a unique yet special high that would last and last.

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
Looks are deceiving, I would take these classic wacky weeds, puna budders, kona golds, oaxacans, thais, jamaicans over anything modern and indoor, you just cannot get the same quality of high indoors.
They are available, it just takes an effort to find them and access of course as mentioned previously. Those pics are awesome, that mountain of hash is incredible and I can believe some insane quality hash may not be as abundant as before, but the flowers are, may take alot of travelling and meeting the right people in the right locations. I just think the US and technology has made it harder for that poorly grown great genetic herb to make it across on ships, but the awesomely grown herb nowadays is by far better grown, cured and handled. I've had insane spicy Sativas for sure in some third world countries, but you can't compare genetics, they are all awesome and none loose potency as you guys said the old weed was stronger? Tolerance also changes, a newby smoking some mex brick is gonna get BLASTED.

That reddish haze you posted looks soo dang spicey, earthy good, I agree it's really hard to find a good long flowering Sativa like those pictured, that's for sure. But Sensimilla grown to perfection indoor is not worse than those, it's all about the way you grow the herb too..

I love Thai Haze mmmmm'

Typical "HEad Shop" paraphenalia in 1973

35-1.gif

Canadian troops in a modern Afghani field, I bet there are some dank Sativas in there..

061012_plants_vmed_2pwidec.jpg

MaryJane420_247_2008

Celticman

It is amazing how much better things become as they fade further and further in the past.
I too remember how hard the exotics used to hit you back in the day- but I believe part of that is due to the day-to-day weed most people smoked was amazingly weak (campared to today) so hitting an exotic would be 3-4 (maybe more) potent than the everyday herb being ingested.

here is the thing-
if all these (or even any of these) were truly better than what is being grown today, it never would have been phased out. THERE IS ALWAYS A MARKET FOR THE BEST. Doesn't make much sense that all the groups of drug growers would switch to a less desirable product. Oh, some might... for the increased yeilds or shortened flowering times but some would say I am gonna keep growing the best because in the end- the best sells the best. It just doesn't make sense.

Anytime something becomes part of the past- NOSTALGIA sets in... Alot of people remember and associate the good times that had with the weed (ah, early 70's... college... freedom) and part of those feelings are transfered to the weed.

Just like the times of yesteryear, if you have a good connection you can get shit that will hit you like a sledgehammer or send you soaring to the clouds.

My belief is that the weed of today is BETTER! More taste, more potency, and more variety. There have been scientist (and non-scientist) working these very genes of yesteryear for improvement.

Would you dump your CD player for a cassette player?

Nor would a weed connisour dump "better" weed for "worse" weed.

And I do agree- lots of blandness out there. As it always was. Only the blandness is better to. I remember times in the early to mid seventies where all we could get for months at a time was low-grade mexican dirt weed. After smoking that for months you get you hands on some "good" weed- of course you are gonna be blasted!

Just my .02,
Celticman

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Readers of this thread might enjoy the book, The High Times Reader. There aren't any photos, but there are some amazing stories.
picture.php

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Too much common sense in this post :joint:

I do agree, it is like anyone who did something FIRST, it was amazing, nothing beats it. King of like your first lay.... Not that it lasted long LOL but memorable just the same...

If it was amazing it would still be around, people have held onto clone only strains for 20-30 years and odds are more in seed/clone form that we don't even know about.

I simply think it is,

long flowering outdoors which can AGE versus indoors and done in 2 months...

here is the thing-
if all these (or even any of these) were truly better than what is being grown today, it never would have been phased out. THERE IS ALWAYS A MARKET FOR THE BEST. Doesn't make much sense that all the groups of drug growers would switch to a less desirable product.
Celticman

nick11

Veteran
I would kill to go back in time and score some of the LSD mentioned on those pages. All garbage these days, kids passing "research chemicals" as L. I think when the Grateful Dead faded so did it.

four seasons

Veteran
Thanks to everyone and Ros Pablo for posting the L. Cherniak pictures. Saved me a little time.

I started this thread to see what we can turn up.Im sure some of the other old timers have a few old pictures or publications stashed away in a box somewhere either in the garage or in the attic or maybe under that old pile of girly mags the wife put aside years ago....hhhmmm

OrganicMeds

Hey Celticman, I see what your saying mate but.......lol

No I would not give up my CD player for a tape deck but I would trash them both before I got rid of my Record player ;)

We used to have so many nice Sativa's here that were collected over 20-30 years by the Surfers hitting the South East Asian Islands in the search for the perfect wave. For many years the sativa's were pure and crossed with each other much like the Haze was created.

This kinda outdoor growing was bloody hard work, you had to contend with things like weather, pest's, bugs, mold, KANGAROO's, wandering livestock, bush fires, finding water, rippers, police, friends that rip you off etc...... Back then indoor growing was not an option for these sativa strains!

Unfortunately in the mid to late 80's the Indica's from the Dam hit our big Island and everyone was amazed at flower size & speed and breed there best Sativa's with these Indica's. The 1st F1's were very, very good but many problems were found in the following generation's as the recesive traits came to the surface Hemaphridites, low yeilds, no vigor etc......

By then most of the original sativa genetics had been lost & 30+ years of collecting was very quickly washed down the toilet :( And being that it is not so easy to collect these strains in the native countries anymore sadly many are lost forever :(

So, so sad as I think this area had some of the GREATEST sativa's from around the world!

I know of one bloke from my way that has stock of "Old Thai" and when he has bags of it, it does not last long! In fact the $ of his Thai bags are double that of his other strains and they are still the 1st too go. I have smoked with him & we have gone thru about 6 strains that I have brought & he pulls out the brown Thai that looks like ditch weed & 1 bowl just cuts thru the lot, beats them all fair & square!

"Nor would a weed connisour dump "better" weed for "worse" weed."

You see mate most growers thought the new Indica strains were better, bigger yeilds, better looks, ability to grow inside. When they new the truth most of the pure good old sativa strains were already lost, you cant keep something for 30 years that you aint got anymore.

My votes for the old landraces :)

four seasons

Veteran
Amen Nic 11, the last time I tripped was in 95. I used to dabble with mind expanding substances In my time,before 95 that is. Before my first battle with the big Cancer bug.

four seasons

Veteran
Good blotter Lysergic from the eighties.
From the Marc McCloud collection. This blotter and other fantastic examples of blotter art are on display at the San Fransisco Art Institute.

The Album Covers were incredible, at least 1000 mics on the first batches. By the early ninties if you were lucky to still find them they had degraded, probably because of heat and light contamination.
The A. Hoffmans is a sheet of 100. I never tried these but was told they were of special stock and were reserved for a small circle.
The Barrels of fun were everywhere from around 1979-85 I guess. Intense.

The last really intense trip I experienced was in Colorodo,the G Dead was playing at the Red Rocks amphitheater. I took some fresh Orange Stars and I was tripping so hard I realy have a hard time piecing together the show in my mind. I just remember the music was very colorful.

Peace

indifferent

Veteran
quality of high???:yeahthats
did you hit the crack pip pre-post or FUCKING WHAT?!:noway:
indoor grows can pump out stuff that makes you comatose, most people pull there shit way too early. "its good enough"...
not saying that crappy looking 70's didnt get you fadded.

It is impossible to grow plants that produce the QUALITY of HIGH that was available back in the day, there is a world of difference between a high altitude outdoor, tropical full season pure sativa and the indoor hybrids of today. Like others said, if you think comatose is the height of the cannabis experience, then you don't understand at all.

Besides, if you wanted to get stoned rather than high, you reached for the hash.

Sativas are for bud smoking, indicas are for turning into hash, wish it had stayed that way!

The moment they legalise cannabis, indoor growing will die out as it is a very poor substitute for the great outdoors, who will bother growing indicas indoors when they can grow them outdoors in quantity enough to make loads of hash? And outdoors makes sativas worthwhile, and sativas are where it's at for a truly great cannabis experience.

Harvest

...and sativas are where it's at for a truly great cannabis experience.

Ill argue that, all opinion man.... I hate Sativas, speedy heart racing up high aint for me, and they do nothing for the pain im in...Dont get me wrong, i appreciate good pot, sativa or not, but lets not knock peoples opinion or preference.
:dueling:

xOOx

wow four seasons..

i've done some cid' in my days, mostly the microdots..hundreds of them..the purple nerd lookin things.. and the ufo shaped orange dots..single and double barrels.. they were 2 hits for $5 .. buy 100 at a time, cheap.

maybe 3 or 4 times i've actually done the paper blotterz, and i had one corner of that tiger in your picture.. what a night, where did you find those pics.. i remember looking at it thinkin' this ain't a real.. it was expensive too..took it..and then was staring away and all the edges of the objects i was looking at starting to realllly stand out, like just the edges got brighter..almost neon bright edges..and i was like oh yeah it's not beat...here we go!.. 12 hours flew by... in about 1 hours time

except the peak felt like a week! time froze for me, with image blur..

blotter was way stronger then microdot .. i was taking 7 at a time towards the end of my experimentation..just felt too burnt out all the time..and just stopped one day, havent had any since..

edit: it was the tiger bottom left.

xoox

nick11

Veteran
Wow thanks for those pics four seasons...really cool! Man I can still remember all my LSD trips - what a great learning experience they were. I was completely changed after my first, and had a totally different outlook on life. Great memories

four seasons

Veteran
I agree that opinions vary and it is all up to the individual.
There really is no such thing as the "Best pot in the world".
There is great cannabis, good cannabis and poor cannabis and all levels in between.
To be honest I could not smoke some well grown heavy trippy S.E. Asian varieties all of the time, they tend make my heart beat too fast and sometimes I experience small rushes of paronoia.
I like the lighter sativas that give a nice euphoria and sense of well being. I use my Indicas for chronic pain and sleep while the Sativas keep me functioning during the day. The lighter sativas and hybrids also help stimulate my daytime appetite.I rarely smoke the heavy goods anymore, just cant function during the day on them. I am particular about my daily cannabiniod menu.

xOOx

it's definately an experience, almost everyone i know that was as deep into it as me has not done it in over 20 years as far as i know.. it's not really an addicting thing.. you experience it, and then you stick around for a while..then you move on..

for me ..just kinda hated the come down..feeling like a dirty ashtray ..and then one day just had enuff...no desire..except maybe for shrooms..never done those, but may try it if i ever had some..i'm guessing its probably similar..might wind up regreting it tho.. don't have the time to be high that long anymore.. lol

xoox