What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to remove 'HPS Orange' quick and easy!

G

Guest 16149

I have to agree with Mace, rather than buy a 600 dollar program, or pirate it, I would rather just mess with a few camera settings, IE white balance, and Exposure Compensation.

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
I've taken quite a few pics during lights on....was showed a little trick by someone who does quite a bit of pro photography work in grows, and requires only a prop of sorts...as long as you hold up something like a piece of cardboard or something to block the light from directly shining on the subject, you will get no orange, but of course you do need to use flash.

Below is a pic taken with 6 x 1k hps on using this technique. I'm not skilled at photo programs at all, and don't have the time to mess about with them...find it much easier to just try and get the image taken with no orange effects with lights on.

As long as the subject has a shadow cast on it from the prop you use to block the hps light landing on the subject it should turn out like this:

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
I have to agree with Mace, rather than buy a 600 dollar program, or pirate it, I would rather just mess with a few camera settings, IE white balance, and Exposure Compensation.

There are free programs, shown in this thread, that do the same.

I've taken quite a few pics during lights on....was showed a little trick by someone who does quite a bit of pro photography work in grows, and requires only a prop of sorts...as long as you hold up something like a piece of cardboard or something to block the light from directly shining on the subject, you will get no orange, but of course you do need to use flash.

Below is a pic taken with 6 x 1k hps on using this technique. I'm not skilled at photo programs at all, and don't have the time to mess about with them...find it much easier to just try and get the image taken with no orange effects with lights on.

Nice one DG! If you don't use any editing software, how do you get them adjusted in size for the forums, though?

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
What I meant NT is that I don't have time nor knowledge to mess about fussing with programs to alter the orange out....I simply open my image with a program that resizes it, which I know very little about, go to file, then save for web....click a box that says yes I know the image is quite large and may not reproduce as clearly (or something to that effect) then get to the next screen, choose a size (usually 1200) and it automatically resizes it down, then I save it in a file to upload here. Takes me about 1 minute per image in total to go thru all those steps.

I'm not saying any programs mentioned here don't work....for those folks who are proficient in image editing programs it probably does benefit images they've taken during hps lights on....just saying that if you are not too literate about editing software, like me, or do not wish to purchase one, there's a way around it to capture the image during lights on so that you don't have to rely upon a program to remove orange that could have been prevented from being orange during the initial photographing.

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
To be quite clear NT....I'm not knocking your suggested method, and for someone who knows their way around PS it's good info....but my whole point really is that if the photo is taken the first time around using a shadow over the subject then there is no orange to remove.

arrrgghh, today isn't my day for explaining things I guess. ;)

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
No, no, it's cool, I wasn't trying to seem confrontational. I really was just curious what you used. There's a program I have that will auto resize in batches, and I thought maybe you had something similar.

It's a pretty easy way to do resize, but that's all it can do. So if that's all you want, I can PM you the link. It sounds like it might be just the thing you're looking for :yes:

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
That would be awesome NT. OMGosh that would make my life a bit easier for sure! I often take around 3-400 pics at a time, trying so hard to get the perfect shot....and usually wind up keeping 25-30 of those....lol...I'm still in the lower percentile of photographers that are able to create quality images with fewer shots. I'm still learning this new camera as well, so tend to take quite a lot of pics. Most appreciated....if it's something that I can get that I don't have to worry about any malware stuff like that I'd be interested....I've found that many free programs contain stuff that my computer doesn't like and refuses to install when it looks to see if it's got hidden ad stuff and things like that. Really irritates me those things happen to so many otherwise useful good free programs.

:ying:
DG

S

Stankie

If you can force your flash to fire even under HPS you will get better results.