What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Prices & The Coming Devaluation of the Dollar

R

rick shaw

The OP obviously never studied any business or economics if he thinks the dollars value is based on gold and silver,nor is the cost of living tied to the precious metals commodity market.
The OP should go back to watching Glenn Beck and fox news for his understanding of the world around him.

whodare

Veteran
Whodare - Whose to say there arent rich schmucks out there like that now? I am sure there are plenty of rich dbags paying stupid prices because they think they are getting something really special. What will be the difference except for far fewer rich people!

of course there are im just sayin they will still be there after SHTF

The OP obviously never studied any business or economics if he thinks the dollars value is based on gold and silver,nor is the cost of living tied to the precious metals commodity market.
The OP should go back to watching Glenn Beck and fox news for his understanding of the world around him.

lol first parts probably true...

dont start bringing politics into this thread unless you want it closed, regardless if fox can skew news all major networks do, who do you watch The ED Show? :biglaugh:

dollar, euro, yuan... they're all losing purchasing power if that's the point you're trying to make. Oil is more expensive around the world. Silver, Gold, w/e... World-wide inflation. [YES, WORLD-WIDE INFLATION][Caused Globally by Globalist Bankers, Devaluing the currencies around the world.]

Against which currency has the dollar lost purchasing power? I'm still waiting for that answer.

The future is Green Energy. Energy is a necessity, and the future is solar/wind/geothermal energy. Long term stored organic food? lol... Grow/can your own and sit in your bomb shelter waiting for the revolution to come.

I'll go on to achieve more financial gain and accelerate in my career of choice because of my slightly above average education. please... people come from around the world to get an education at a US University. Luckily my education has also taught me when my words have fallen on deaf ears.

College Education = Brainwashing for some

Proof=

Inflation IS THE DEVALUATION OF THE DOLLAR......Mr. Helpless, thoughtless, wandering Economics Major Moron.

Sorry, I have to put you down as well, since you bashed my uneducated Original Post. Who is uneducated now?

DUH!

Winning! :wave:

whodare

Veteran
what's the point of this thread???

you are both saying the same thing essentially...

inflation is happening.

thing is Bobble is trying to say because the dollar is the worlds reserve currency when our dollar is devalued so is everyone elses.

until the world reserve currency changes we wont get killed with hyper inflation because the fed will continue to print money.

so we will see a rise in prices but it wont be as bad as anywhere else in the world (for now at least) because our government is printing money to pay it's own debt

M

Milhouse

Im sorry but the few interviews with that Max Keisler, he is just a little theatrical for me! This may just be my opinion but when someone is overly dramatic, especially when talking about economics and finance (both of which are truthfully incredibly boring), it makes their message seem not as credible. Again, that might just be me.

It is the same situation with Glenn Beck! While he may have SOME good points from time to time, his delivery makes him lose all credibility. Same goes for Cramer!! If these guys would stop making everything sounds like the end of the world, more people might take them seriously!

what's the point of this thread???

you are both saying the same thing essentially...

inflation is happening.

thing is Bobble is trying to say because the dollar is the worlds reserve currency when our dollar is devalued so is everyone elses.

until the world reserve currency changes we wont get killed with hyper inflation because the fed will continue to print money.

so we will see a rise in prices but it wont be as bad as anywhere else in the world (for now at least) because our government is printing money to pay it's own debt

But one of the things I mentioned, is how the US is about to lose its status as the World Reserve Currency. That's what's in the works. If the bankers have their way, then we'll experience hyperinflation in the US and lose our status all at once. Insiders who have been interviewed lately, have mentioned this as a possibility. There is no guarantee it will happen, but from what I hear and see everyday, this is the direction it's going.

My main question and point was, what will happen to cannabis prices, when the dollar devalues? Will it go up, like gold and silver, or will it go down with the dollar?

I speculate it will drive the prices up, and whoever grows, will make the same amount, relative to economics, that they make today.

That's the whole point of the post. To debate and question what will happen to cannabis prices, based on the current market trends.

Im sorry but the few interviews with that Max Keisler, he is just a little theatrical for me! This may just be my opinion but when someone is overly dramatic, especially when talking about economics and finance (both of which are truthfully incredibly boring), it makes their message seem not as credible. Again, that might just be me.

It is the same situation with Glenn Beck! While he may have SOME good points from time to time, his delivery makes him lose all credibility. Same goes for Cramer!! If these guys would stop making everything sounds like the end of the world, more people might take them seriously!

I've been studying law, economics and currency for nearly 15 years now. I would NEVER place Beck, Kramer and Max Kieser in to the same category or use them in the same sentence. Max Kieser is way ahead of the crowd, and holds nothing back, hides nothing, and is no paid stooge/tool, like Beck and Kramer. There is a huge difference. Take another listen to Max when you have some time. I assure you, he makes much more sense than the other two, because he tells it like it is, not like the globalists would like to have you believe it is. Seriously.

whodare

Veteran

yep... i watch all sort of shit and beck, cramer, usually raise great points, but if you take them too seriously you'll lose sleep at night which could make ya crazy too.

modern economics kills me though, with all the different ways to manipulate a market who knows what is going on for real... or who's behind it...

daheadies

poppin' outta control
Regardless of the relationship between herb and other goods, I think that the price of herb right now is directly a simple Supply vs Demand equation.. Supply has gone up tremendously, and the risks associated with growing marijuana has gone down due to medical legalization, making one of the "input values" of supply less.. Although demand has also risen, any and all savvy entrepreneurs are trying to maximize production/supply as much as possible right now, especially because things are new and only MORE and MORE regulation and tax will be implemented in the future. ALSO, along with the legal supply of weed, there is still a underground market of supply and a very low market of underground demand now (at least in medical states).. These underground'ers, in a desperate attempt to keep afloat and pay their bills, have resorted to trying to undercut the legal market, by offering RIDICULOUSLY low prices... Not all dispensaries are legit, and some will still buy from these undergrounder's, which then infiltrates the price of the dispensary/legal scene.
so, along w/ some assuming factors, it all comes down to supply vs demand- basically the surplus. ALSO- this happens in pretty much EVERY industry once major competition is allowed into the marketplace. Now, the next step is "weeding" out the small ones and Only the strongest will survive.
-Now, dont get me wrong, im not saying the value of the $ isn't going down..

M

Milhouse

I have no doubts he has some very good points relating to the world economy and the devaluation of the dollar. He wouldnt be where he is today if he did not bring up very good points. I dont dispute that. I just feel that the method / manner in which he delivers his message hurts his credibility.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
i would consider cannabis a "luxury item", so when the essentials for life raise in price there will be less demand for luxury items. So cannabis prices will drop along with things like luxury suvs and mink coats, to name a few. Corn, rice, potatoes, milk, beef, chicken all will rise. Housing prices will drop to try and keep up with demand while occupants per household will increase.

Thats just what I think, so just because the dollar is loosing value doesn't mean the price of every item will rise, only items in demand.

M

Milhouse

I agree with Sam. Using your same reasoning MG, the cost of a BMW would be $150,000 - $250,000. The cost for a case of cheap beer would be $50 and decent beer would be almost $100. The cost of cigs would be $15 - $20 a pack. All these fall roughly inline with price increases you are speaking of for cannabis. Under any of these circumstances, if the producers dont find a way to produce thier product for far cheaper, than they will cease to exist in that curreny marketplace....same goes for cannabis.

Someone might try to take advantage of the situation by selling their product at an "inflated" price. I would assume if this all takes place, the govt would be much less worried about finding and prosecuting pot growers, especially the smaller ones. I think that would open the gate to outdoor growing again which is much less to produce than indoors. If that would happen, then the price could drop much lower, lower than todays market even, to accommodate the consumers drop in purchasing power. Just another way to look at it.

bobblehead

Veteran
I've been studying law, economics and currency for nearly 15 years now.

uh huh... and what books have you read? cause I have a couple U$S thousand worth in books explaining how it all works... well, I spent thousand on books anyway... Text book raquet...

College education = brain washing? sigh... What are you gonna tell me next? G13 is the best pot there is. G stands for government who created it, and 13 cause M is the 13th letter in the alphabet... lol

The price of cannabis will continue to fall as the supply increases.... I mean really, they're running specials on CNBC and CNN about how prevalent cannabis is around the world... and how the war on drugs is failing... Eventually it's not going to be a high ticket item.

whodare

Veteran
for comparison tobacco sells for around 6 dollars a kilo wholesale...

when cannabis is legalized, unless you can keep production under that good luck getting big...

its a good thing though, maybe hemp legalization will be pushed, it would help domesticate our sources for fuel, cotton fiber, and wood.

I think you need to finish business school before asking such complex questions. :) Too many factors involved. The price of cannabis doesn't move unilaterally with gold. You have to take into account economies of scale with the cannabis industry. More and more people are getting into the medical industry, more states are decriminalizing consumption... Who told you the dollar is losing power? lol... Against which currency? Do you know how the value of a currency is calculated? The yuan has been held artificially low for at least the past decade... And the Chinese are holding TRILLIONS of dollars... they're not about to let the dollar collapse, and lose their investment. ;) Tell me of a country that's not experiencing recession now.

Like I said, you have more to learn before you can truly understand what you're asking.

honestly, you are uninformed to say the least, and have your head up your ass most likely. the dollar will be gone in 5-10 years and replaced with a currency of their choosing. you are sadly uninformed. the OP had some valid points, more valid than you will ever realize until its too late for you and your family. however, when this drastic devaluation occurs, which the process has already started, you would be a fool to trade your hard grown cannabis for a million of those dollars, because by the time you do the deal and drive to the bank that million wont buy a loaf of bread. trade your cannabis for gold, silver, and other use full commodities(like toilet paper, food, guns, ammo, coffee etc. etc.) when this process takes place; not for dollars. if you aren't already making plans to maintain your wealth you will starve to death when that time comes, just like they want you too. why do you think that the worlds wealthiest people have been dumping stocks and bonds for the last 10 years and putting billions into commodities, especially silver. silver is currently unde rvalued, even at 36.00 an ounce. buy as much as possible, you wont get rich off it, but maybe you can pay down all your debt with the inflated dollars you will get when it hits its target. as my friends are doing. i unfortunately was too broke to buy it when it was 5-6 bucks an ounce 5 years ago. when warren buffet was saying it will hit 25/ ounce and may go to 50. He put over 4 billion in silver over the last 10 years. every one told him he was nuts, but the people who listened are well off now because of his insanity. people who are worth billions rarely let you know how they are investing, when they speak, we should listen. they are all saying the dollar will collapse soon. maybe soone rthan 5 years, no one is sure. it all depends on how fast the rest of the world (especially china which has been slowly dumping t-bills for some time now, if they did it too fast it would hurt their own currency) starts dumping out treasurey bills(our debt). our debt has outpaced our GNP. AND THE REST OF THE WORLD KNOWS IT. PLANS ARE ALREADY BEING MADE TO REMOVE THE DOLLAR AS THE WORLDS RESERVE CURRENCY. as soon as the arab nations stop trading oil in dollars, our dollar will collapse. ITS THAT F-ING SIMPLE!!!!!! you can take your degree and shove it. im nearly out of debt my self because i listened and got in on silver when it was around 11 an ounce. when it hits 44 an ounce i will essentially be out of debt. but im going to wait till it goes even higher so i can have some real inflated dollars to buy an nice car with. price of manufactured goods has been kept artificially low in the US against the true value of the dollar. so if you have good credit, and can borrow someone else's money or can afford to dump a shitload into commodities, then when the dollar hyper inflates you can use those inflated dollars to pay off the debts you made today. it is a strategy the rich have used for decades. the only difference is they are wealthy enough to move the markets when they invest in them. and by the way, i dont believe gold and silver to be an investment at all, i believe they are a tool to maintain your wealth and purchasing power. an ounce of gold today will buy you the equivalent nice 3 piece suit it would buy you in 1925. ponder on that a minute.

Sour Joe

@ Chief Rbud that sounds a little like what Ive been reading and cacthing on a couple programs. I knew its was legit when I logged on to seedbou and the prices in every other currency was higher in value than us currency. Its that close to home.

MadBuddhaAbuser

Kush, Sour Diesel, Puday boys
Veteran
http://www.ctv.ca/generic/generated/static/business/article1933137.html

Mighty greenback losing its lustre

JEREMY TOROBIN

Currency traders are betting on a lower U.S. dollar as interest rates in other leading economies look set to rise while the Federal Reserve stands pat, a glimpse of what could become a more enduring shift as market faith in the greenback slowly ebbs away.

When European Central Bank president Jean-Claude Trichet all but said last Thursday that he plans to raise interest rates in April to keep inflation in the 17-country euro zone from accelerating, a big gap opened up in expectations for monetary policy. Two days earlier, Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke made clear to lawmakers on Capitol Hill that he is still comfortable with extraordinarily low borrowing costs, and that he has no intention of scaling back the central bank’s bond-buying program before it runs its course in June.

Policy makers in emerging markets from China to Brazil have already tightened this year, and central bankers from the Bank of Canada’s Mark Carney to the Bank of England’s Mervyn King are expected to follow suit well before the Fed.

As the gulf between the U.S. central bank and others widens, and as concerns ease that Europe’s debt problems could lead to a breakup of the euro zone, investors are “short selling” the U.S. dollar – betting that it will decline in value – and flocking to the euro to take advantage of the coming difference between European and U.S. interest rates.

Several analysts still see the greenback’s recent slide as a temporary swing that could reverse itself once the Fed starts raising rates, perhaps by the end of 2011. Still, alarm bells rung by Mr. Bernanke and the International Monetary Fund hint that the current episode may be a taste of things to come. A weaker currency would help U.S. companies sell their wares abroad, but those benefits could be overwhelmed if a selloff occurs because faith erodes that the U.S. government can make good on its debt obligations and calls increase for a new world reserve currency.

“I’m not certain that people are losing faith as opposed to trying to make a quick buck on a weaker buck,” said Michael Gregory, a senior economist with BMO Nesbitt Burns, noting that the share of foreign holdings of U.S.-denominated debt continues to rise, a sign that bond markets haven’t yet concluded that Washington is too risky a borrower.

At the same time, Mr. Gregory acknowledged that “over time, as a theme we have been seeing efforts to diversify U.S.-dollar holdings, not only among large institutional investors but particularly central banks, sovereign-wealth funds – those that have always used the U.S. dollar as core holding for liquidity purposes.”

Amid concerns about a looming fiscal crisis in the world’s biggest and most important economy, and as tensions in the Middle East and North Africa raise the prospect of energy prices rising so high that they slow or even derail the global recovery, the selloff of U.S. dollars that’s so far happening “at the margin” could broaden.

David Watt, a senior currency strategist at RBC Dominion Securities, said in an interview that while the amount of time the United States has before investors turn away from the dollar on a larger scale remains “the million-dollar question,” it is a matter of when, not if.

``What we’re talking about is the speed with which it will continue to lose altitude,” Mr. Watt said, pointing to factors like questions around whether fiscal stimulus measures in the United States are achieving their desired effect, and Washington’s persistent failure to come up with a long-term plan to attack the country’s debt.

“We’re not getting the growth rebound, so we’re not getting the rebound in revenues, so you get this idea that, yeah, maybe the U.S. debt situation is going to be a little bit more challenging than we had anticipated.’’ Still, until that so-called day of reckoning, a lower greenback has its perks.

President Barack Obama is trying to double U.S. exports over five years, and the weaker dollar helps American companies compete overseas with Asian or Latin American rivals.

Also, as recently as last month, the IMF told Group of 20 policy makers in a report that it views the greenback as overvalued, suggesting that “some further real effective depreciation” of the U.S. dollar would help rebalance the global economy.

And depending on its size, the boost that a weaker dollar could give the American rebound could benefit Canadian exporters too, even as it pushes the loonie higher.

“If we do see the U.S. economy really benefiting from a weaker U.S. dollar and growth is picking up, presumably stronger growth in the U.S. sucks in Canadian exports, regardless of the loonie,” Mr. Gregory said.

Meanwhile, recent research suggests that prospects for the U.S. economy have more influence on the Canadian currency in certain situations than energy prices, despite the notion of the loonie as a “commodity currency” because of the country’s status as a net oil exporter.

Marc Chandler, global head of currency strategy at New York-based Brown Brothers Harriman, wrote in a client note on Monday that while the loonie is at its highest level against its U.S. counterpart since 2007, it is actually among the weakest performers among the Group of 10 major currencies since Feb. 15, gaining less than 2 per cent even as oil prices soared 25 per cent.

Mr. Watt noted that in a fragile recovery where oil prices are being driven by concerns about supply, the relationship between oil prices and the loonie breaks down at $100 (U.S.) a barrel. At that point energy costs can become an impediment to growth.

“If oil prices are rising because demand is going up and the global economy is firing on all cylinders, then it’s out-and-out positive for the Canadian dollar,” he said. “But if oil prices are going up for other reasons ... and not reflecting underlying demand fundamentals, it’s much less clear.’’

With files from reporter Kevin Carmichael in Washington, and Bloomberg News.

weed has kind of always been the same price though, i actually pay a little less than when gold was $400 an oz.

Sour Joe

ooohhhhhh now everybody wanna run and hide when an OG gets on the subject lol. Come on fellas lets discuss this shit. We need to honestly. Yall should cacth the documentary esoteric agenda. It covers exactly this and actually states how and why these things are gonna happen. What ssn are and who they are to be paid to.
ESOTERIC AGENDA its long so have a couple rolled already

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
So if I sold you an ounce for $300 today and sold you an ounce for $600 tomorrow, did u.s. Currency devaluate by half it's worth or did my price simply double?