What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CPC (Chronic Pain Club)

letmeout

I have a question for the people here that are on pain management.Which is probably all of you.I need to know when your pain management doctor gives a urine test,is he just looking at the levels of the pain medicine prescribed in my system?or are they going to look for other drugs in my system such as marijuana.If they are just checking the levels of prescribed meds in my system i am ok.If they check for marijuana i will have major problems.
I had another friend that is on pain management and he took some xanax ,which he isn't prescribed ,and the next day he got tested.The doctor never said anything to him about finding it in his system.So i am hoping this is the common practice.If it isn't i could use the urine of my cousin ,because i'll give him pain pills to take for three days before the test and put his urine in a urinator which keeps it at body temp.I don't have to worry about them being in the room while i am peeing.I just need to know if i need to do this every time i go for pain management or not.If they are only checking if i am taking my meds i have no problems.So i need to know if they check for other drugs if i give them no reason too.Thanks in advance for your help.Sorry the post was so long ,i just wanted to make sure you have all the info so i can get a helpful answer.

M

Marywanna

The only time my pain mgt Dr does a UA on me is when I get epidurals. He never does them any other time. Did you do something to make him suspicious? Like go thru your RX too fast?

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
hi king of nyc iam in the process of applying for my med card,i ve been suffering from chronic pain , insomnia. and for chronic pain relieve u need chronic medicine i would b down to check out the group send an invite? i guess thnx

letmeout

No i haven't done anything for him to expect me.My family doctor does my pain management and i had to sign the contract.He told me when he first started giving me my pain meds that he would have the right to give me random tests.But now that you mention it he did say ,he would test me if he had reason to believe that i may be doing something wrong.I guess i'm just being a little paranoid,but i can't lose my pain meds because i couldn't take the constant pain.Thats the bad thing is i need both the painkillers and marijuna,it works best when i use both,but neither one by itself does that good of a job.
So i was just wondering if anybody new if they would just be checking for the levels of morphine in my system or for other drugs also.

E

emerald city

I have a question for the people here that are on pain management.Which is probably all of you.I need to know when your pain management doctor gives a urine test,is he just looking at the levels of the pain medicine prescribed in my system?or are they going to look for other drugs in my system such as marijuana.If they are just checking the levels of prescribed meds in my system i am ok.If they check for marijuana i will have major problems.
I had another friend that is on pain management and he took some xanax ,which he isn't prescribed ,and the next day he got tested.The doctor never said anything to him about finding it in his system.So i am hoping this is the common practice.If it isn't i could use the urine of my cousin ,because i'll give him pain pills to take for three days before the test and put his urine in a urinator which keeps it at body temp.I don't have to worry about them being in the room while i am peeing.I just need to know if i need to do this every time i go for pain management or not.If they are only checking if i am taking my meds i have no problems.So i need to know if they check for other drugs if i give them no reason too.Thanks in advance for your help.Sorry the post was so long ,i just wanted to make sure you have all the info so i can get a helpful answer.
Depends on your doctor..Im on a federal pain contract which allows for random testing....In the last 4 years ive been pulled once for a test...I meen random,no notice,you walk in to pick up a script and they usher you to a room to go pee.No time for any switching of samples...My test came back showing only the levels and types of narcotic's that were in my system at the time...I ask my doc why the test didnt show marijuana?Was told they did NOT test for that unless asked...My wifes bro in law had a differant experience,they taged him as a drug seaking person and when they tested him ,they ran test for all drugs.He was baged for being out of compliance...He has haD prior issue's before tho....I would recommend being honest with your pcp,if you cant, time to find a new one to work with you.....to all a good day.E.C /out

M

Marywanna

Well,apparently I also signed a contract with him. Been seeing him for 7 years now. After your post I was curious and looked thru my folder of med records from him,and found it. Says I cannot get any other pain meds from a different Dr. Moot point,can't take them anyways. Guess thats how they cover their asses after they get you addicted to pain meds..............................And yet MARIJUANA is considered dangerous. What bullshit.

letmeout

Well i feel a little better now because i have never told any doctor that i smoke marijuana,and have never been labled a drug seeker.
I have never asked for a refill before i was legally ready to get one.
I always get them refilled every 30 days,So i'm thinking i should be okay.If i would ever get caught i would just have to explain to him that it helps my pain,and helps me sleep.He was giving me ambien and i stopped taking it,it made me very tired but still couldn't sleep more than 1-2 hours at a time.
I just want to thank everybody for the quick responses ,I feel alot better about my situation now.Thanks again.

G`Morning Everyone :)

let if your taking a Narcotic or several your primary care Dr. or any Dr, your seeing has the right to ask you to do a random drug test and the test is for several reasons the 1st is to make sure you are taking the prescribed meds, 2nd Is to make sure you are not taking to many of them at a time, 3rd the reason is many Insurance plans or the state you live in request any narcotics prescribed for a patient the Dr. has to do random or monthly drug test and report to the state he is complying or have his license to practice in that state.

I have been taking percs & valiums for 2 straights years and just recently I received a phone call last month that from now on every months I have to take a monthly drug test but once a month Isn't a bad thing and only takes a few minutes but as for my Dr. it has to be done in his office bathroom and I can come any time and do the test dro it at the front desk sealed in the ziplock bag with the plastic cup and I'm done ;)

I hope this helped.

herbwarts

I spent 20 years on the poison pushed by Doctors

I spent 20 years on the poison pushed by Doctors

I spent 20 years going to a pain doctor taking the heavy Narcotic he was pushing. Spend days and months sick to my stomach from the endless compound. It got to the point after two major heart attacks sick and tired of living from the endless hopeless dazy . I had to do something! So I mistakenly spoke to my Doctor (I'm behind enemy lines) ask him about smoking. He blew up and throw me out of his office. I started grow that day. For me it's been like pushing peanuts up a mountain with my nose. I had my spine compressed after being hit with a 50 ton hook in an accident while serving in the navy. They gave me two aspirin and sent me back to work. My garden Herbwart keeps my mind busy but it's a lot of work. But it proved me with pain relief that doesn't make me sick.
Ken

M

Marywanna

DO NOT TELL YOUR DR if you are a MMJ pt. It will go into your chart,from there your insurance company can find it. Who knows what they would do if they found out. The ball is in their court for right now.

V

vonforne

I put my submission in and I am waiting on the members approval.

V

letmeout

my insurance company is medicare,i'm on disability.I would never tell my doctor just for that reason.Also i'm not in a med. marijuana state.
I would never admit to doing something illegal especially when it will be in my medical records forever.In my eyes that would be a reason for them to test me for it.

my doctor is the one who wrote up
my medical history
on my neck
so I could get my mmj license
in May, 2009

In Oct., 2009 I received yet another mmj accreditation
diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia
referred to as CML

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Letmeout - My doctor has just been forced into starting the UA's on his pain patients by the DEA. His take on it is that they think they are going to be out of the pot business in California soon and are looking for other ways to show how necessary they are by keeping people from diverting their opiates onto the street. I took my first test a while back, it was a double-sided doodad that tested for about 12 different drugs. There were no levels, just a yes-no thing for presence in the sample. I thought it pretty remarkable to be tested to make sure that I was taking drugs! When I told him that I wanted the documentation to get my MMJ card, but was concerned that the contract I had signed said that I could be dropped out of pain management if I tested positive for pot, he said not to worry. Pot was fine for medical reasons, they just didn't want people buying it on the street. In this case (California), it is apparently a good thing to have it noted in your chart. What a long, strange trip it's been!

Every Dr. that is board certified has a number asigned to them when they write presriptons and the DEA has a data base with every Dr. on their register and every narcotic perscription written is logged and into a data base were it can be obtained at any time, this Isn't something new.

Also Mary is correct if you mention or it comes back that you are useing MJ the Insurance company has the right and will excersise it to refuse to cover your medications and even treatments and your Dr. has to make notes and file his reports and he also could refuse to treat you any further.

My wife is an Occupational Therapist and my oldest sister is a Nurse practitioner so when I have questions my sister works very closely with her Dr's and assist them in the OR and works right along side them in surgeries and even stictches up or staples up patients, their a step before becoming a Dr.

I'm very aware of many things and my rights but the biggest way to get refused any health care unless you live in a state like california is to mention you smoke mj, you all know as well as I do in many states it's still taboo to talk to your dr's about useing mj as a med treatment and a very good excuse for your medical Insurance company to refuse to pay for any further medical coverage.

Mary is right on with the comment she made ;)

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DR - if your post was in reply to mine, I'm not sure where the triplicate script comment came from. I was talking about my Dr. having to start testing all of his pain patients to make sure that they were taking their med's and not selling them. I couldn't figure out a way to test positive for morphine and hydrocodone, but negative for pot. I am not going to go to every appointment with a sample of warm urine from someone who takes the same narcotics that I do, but doesn't smoke pot. I understand what you are saying, and it makes me happy that there are still a few reasons to live in California!

M

Marywanna

The only state that does not follow Drs.rxs for narcotics is Florida,I believe. Here in Michigan the DEA follows any RX that is for schedule one drugs. In fact a local Dr. in our town just got out of Fed prison for writing RXs for oxys and those morphine patches. They busted into his office,it was a real big deal in our little town. Yet still,I cannot walk down the street using the meds I am legal for. Rives......you can take an RX called Protonix for acid reflux and it comes up postive for cannabinoids.