What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Defoliation: Hi-Yield Technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
Any chance anyone would be willing to do a side by side of clones, one defoilation one regular.
Would be a nice contribution if anyone has the time and energy.

bs0

Any chance anyone would be willing to do a side by side of clones, one defoilation one regular.

My last run I didn't do it and this run I am. All other variables are the same, including temp, wattage, plants, nutes, and medium.

I'll be able to give a straight percentage gain.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I've been thinking about this ever since I came across a thread on another forum where the dude takes nearly all the foilage off before flowing. This is his trim when inducing 12/12:

nm can't post links or pics hosted on other forums.

k33ftr33z

I could do this side by side, have done it too many times inadvertantly by not staying on the defoliating. The leafy clone will rapidly outpace the defoliated one after that first pluck. The leafy one will get 3-5" node spacing once it achieves it's 6th or 8th set of leaves, and be oversized for this kind of compact endeavor. The fan leaves will take over the veg area and the leafy plant will otherwise be ready to flower depending on setup. We want to focus on the defoliated one. It takes preparation and an extra week or two. Extra time in veg should be inconsequential in the long run as veg is a constant operation. All that is being adjusted is the size and structure of the clones in preparation to become 10-12 oz compact finishers.

burnt out og'er
Veteran
I've been thinking about this ever since I came across a thread on another forum where the dude takes nearly all the foilage off before flowing. This is his trim when inducing 12/12:

nm can't post links or pics hosted on other forums.

There was a great thread here at icmag on this method.
I believe the members handle was jrosek last I saw jrosek was listed as a guest however that thread should still be kicking around somewhere here

I like what I see k33ftr33z :dance013:

k33ftr33z

Positive feedback

Positive feedback

That's quite an encouraging response. 5 years ago on OG/CW this subject got thrashed. Good to see open minds and some with experience along these lines.

k33ftr33z

My girls don't lollipop

My girls don't lollipop

No, it can be used instead of lolipopping. Defoliating allows the light through to the lower branches but lilipopping would have no lower branches.

I never got the lollipopping thing. I've seen too many setups with 6' plants and 5' of stem. Seems like something got out of hand to have to remove so much growth. Should have been flowered sooner or something if top growth so outpaced the bottom to require removal. Bud sites are valuable and desired. They take time to develop so they should not be removed but rather accommodated by creative bending and leaf removal. I like to see tough nugs on the very bottom nodes.

burnt out og'er
Veteran
I believe the members handle was jrosek last I saw jrosek was listed as a guest however that thread should still be kicking around somewhere here

ooops, I might be wrong on who the right handle was I just searched and didn't find the thread I mentioned and btw I was wrong about jrosek being listed as a guest, he's still a member.

ime...lollypopping only works well with less branchy strains like afghanni

k33ftr33z

this technique works!

the majority haters of defoliation style techniques are usually more educated than experienced... in my experience anyways.

keep deleafing!!!!!

Well said, I've heard extensive dissertations on photosythesis and total leaf area and "why mess with nature" and "deleafing will hurt the plants" and more...

I wanted to find out a long time ago so I just pulled the leaves to see what happens. Yield and structure improved. I remember meeting a grower in Santa Cruz doing it outdoors in 1974.

Results speak for themselves. Indoors is about intensive cultivation. That means making the most of a limited amount of light in a limited area. This is akin to bonsai, but applied to a rapidly growing weed.

bs0

That's quite an encouraging response. 5 years ago on OG/CW this subject got thrashed. Good to see open minds and some with experience along these lines.

Don't mean to post all over your thread but I'm super pumped about this topic and had been intending to create a thread about it myself.

I'm about 5 days from harvesting my first test batch, but mine is more SOG to your supercropping/scrog. I'm so excited to see what the change is, here I thought I was figuring out something new but turns out... 12 days or so I'll have numbers to share. The lower buds are literally 3-5 times bigger than before and everything looks right (instead of the pale green of immature). I have a 60 day plant and I defoliated at 4 and 6weeks.

I love your supercropping. So many elbows!
:thank you:

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I have always removed fan leaves that were blocking the larger buds and also to get more light into the interior of the plant, but never total removal. I am interested in seeing the side by side grow with numbers. This has been a nice civilized thread. Good read.

TGT

B

bipotato

I can almost guarantee you that had it not been for the pictures on post #1, things would not be so civil right now... pictures seem to have a calming (aka "STFU") effect on haters.

TexasToker

ooops, I might be wrong on who the right handle was I just searched and didn't find the thread I mentioned and btw I was wrong about jrosek being listed as a guest, he's still a member.

ime...lollypopping only works well with less branchy strains like afghanni

Here is that thread you were talking about. This is what made me start trying it.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I could do this side by side, have done it too many times inadvertantly by not staying on the defoliating. The leafy clone will rapidly outpace the defoliated one after that first pluck. The leafy one will get 3-5" node spacing once it achieves it's 6th or 8th set of leaves, and be oversized for this kind of compact endeavor. The fan leaves will take over the veg area and the leafy plant will otherwise be ready to flower depending on setup. We want to focus on the defoliated one. It takes preparation and an extra week or two. Extra time in veg should be inconsequential in the long run as veg is a constant operation. All that is being adjusted is the size and structure of the clones in preparation to become 10-12 oz compact finishers.

are the benefits of this mainly beneficial in SoG grows or those severely limited in grow space?

one Q

Quality
Veteran
thanks TEXAS. I was about to post it too.

also a good read.
growing consensus synopsis paper. it's an OG faq you can find it floating around maybe google

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
i don't know- Everything i've read on plant physiology sez that leaves are solar cells to provide energy for flower production through photosynthesis. flowers and fruit "ripen" by plant derived hormones not sun/lumens on the bud. on some fruit crops they try to shade the fruit cause light degrades the flavors and essential oils. Why do i want to exposure my buds to extra light while there developing thc but then shade those same buds during the curing, drying and storage stage because light and heat damages and degrades thc????? I think nature is just a little smarter than me, and if it was better to drop its leaves early, it would do it without my help, which by the way it does when its finished growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts