What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How long to keep the dome on seedlings

Hi all,
how long do you usually keep the dome on your seedling trays? Mine are working on their third and fourth set of true leaves. When do I let them get some fresh air and take off the humidity dome?
Thanks.

zif

Veteran
They do fine with no dome at all. Do you have very low humidity without it?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hi all,
how long do you usually keep the dome on your seedling trays? Mine are working on their third and fourth set of true leaves. When do I let them get some fresh air and take off the humidity dome?
Thanks.
Depends on ambient climate but, once she has her 2nd set of serrated leaves, off it comes :)

troutman

Seed Whore
Domes are normally used more for cloning to keep humidity up than anything else.

From seeds, I don't use a dome ever to grow plants.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I agree with the consensus that its best not to use it all on seedlings buddy. The climate will be more likely to rot seedlings than help.

Once clones have decent roots they no longer need to be kept under cover.

Seedlings want to be at the same temps and humidity right through veg.. Ideal VPD from the get go otherwise you shock the plants when you change.

I soak my seeds till the tails are right out so they dont need anything doing to them, hardly watering. If you were putting the seeds straight in the soil without soaking then you could use a humidity dome but you'll lose way more to pathogens.