I've not frequented this thread this summer since it was/is a busy season.
Unfortunately a drought like never seen before kinda messed up the fertilization plans of my guerilla patches . I did lab tests, calculated the needed input, gave it all as a top feed beginning of May. But then the weather decided to skip the rain for around 10 weeks. So my top dress did not have the chance to make the changes I wanted to see till July.
The real test for those amended beds will thus be next year. That aside, the plants that did not suffer from the drought were super healthy and made thick full stems and branches.
For my first indoor peat mix I made the mistake of adding too much N in the form of bonemeal. I ran it anyways, but without feed. Plants were happier than ever before. I did already recycle that soil 3 times without any additions and now I have to start to feed them a bit.
I wanted to mix a new soil, but this is giving me some headaches. I was hoping someone here could crack the puzzle that this mix is giving me. Something very strange is happening: the pH of the mix keeps at around 5.1-5.3, regardless of how many CaCO3 I put into it.
This is what I did:
Base mix = 300l Latvian peat (moist volume) + 60l leafmold + 1800g Maerl (34% CaCO3)
The peat I used here, was from a different brand of the first mix I made which is not giving me trouble. The pic at the end of this message gives the bag that I'm using. The leafmold came from the same batch.
1. Mix the dry peat and moist leafmold, after that add the calcium 'dissolved' in groundwater. Mix thoroughly.
2. let sit for 2 weeks
3. Mix all the other fertilizers in groundwater and add that to the basemix. Mix thoroughly.
This mix gives a 5.1pH. Which is weird because 1l peat alone (from the exact same bag) + 5g Mearl gives 6.2 pH.
Now, when trying to resolve this I started by adding 3g Maerl mixed into tapwater to 1l mix, without any pH effect.
I did the exact same thing with 30g Maerl for 1l mix (let it cook 6 days at room temperature) , but this only bumps it to 5.25 pH.
I did calibrate my pH meter, I did a control measurement with litmus paper, but still same findings.