What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SCHIZOPHRENIA

FishmanK

my friend from another chat netowrk asked if I knew what type of Ganj might help w the symptoms of schizophrenia he lives with...

since I didnt know but want to help, I thought Id ask here...

shithawk420

Veteran
My cousin is schizophrenic and weed sets it off really bad.sorry I can't answer your question but based on my experience, schizophrenic people should not smoke

WelderDan

Veteran
As someone with two family members with schizophrenia, my advice is to tell him to avoid it. No one here is qualified to advise anyone on mental health issues. You will only get a bunch of different answers anyway, and some dumb ass will eventually say "try a nice uplifting haze." Which would likely be a baaad idea.

FishmanK

my friend says he's not sure he is truely schizophrenic and has had differnet diagnosesesesesss (ok I fudged that spelling...) and says that he is tired of pharmaceuticals not helping him and is ready to try cannabis

he says his limited trials so far have helped him...

personally, I have a hard time beieveing that mental issues can be categorized clearly and are multi-faceted...

but thank you SH4 for your reply, and "Jambles" thanks you too

chronosync

Well-stoned member
My brother is too. Same deal. It sucks for that reason and so many more but we used to smoke together a lot so that sucks. Sometimes he smokes and it's ok, but he can get really weird and it's scary. My buddy too. He says it "bugs him out" sometimes. Hes bipolar, he can't smoke weed.

Stinkymutt

Ok now for a different answer as mentioned . I can only say what a very close friend tells me works for her . She is bi polar schitzo and even has had episodes to where she was talking to the big five foot tall mouse sitting on her desk at work . She is non violent in her episodes so I cant remember which type that is ? But anywho she swears by marijuana as it focuses her mind on something and allows her to work through any problems that arise , She doesnt need to be high all the time to get the medicating effects but she smokes heavily while at home from work. She loved the harlequin I had and I didnt tell her anything about it besides "here check this out" . She does not like sativas unless in a very good surrounding . But again she is not violent and I wouldnt say she is severe in her condition . I have Bi polar disorder / manic episodes . I use mary j to keep symptoms at bay and have learned to enjoy life more . So I guess I would say I wouldnt recommend smoking up to just anyone with schizophrenia , but maybe a one in however many people type thing it could help ? And I do remember reading about tests being done on this . Must have been high though because the outcome I cant remember lol .
peace

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Smoked some killer herb with a friend and some older dudes when I was fifteen.

On the walk back to my friend’s house (his mom’s house, actually) he started talking all this nonsense about the cops. How they were following us and asking me if I could hear the sirens... I was high as a kite — in a good way! All was GREAT with the world... and no, I didn’t hear any sirens... found out a couple of years later that he was a schizophrenic...

He didn’t stop smoking after his diagnosis. Smoking, sadly, did not help.

I’m a proponent of the medicinal properties of cannabis, but there doesn’t seem to be much benefit for a schizophrenic condition.

This is just me sharing my limited experience with a clinically diagnosed schizophrenic who partook in cannabis. The two didn’t seem to mesh very well.

Take all this for what you will. But just be forewarned that the two may not be the best combination...

I tend to agree with WelderDan & shithawk420...

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
CBD is anti psychotic so look for a strain that is high in it. In other words, you want hemp. Very little stone but lots of anti stone which is cbd.

He might be able to handle some regular strains that are mostly thc but I doubt it will help his symptoms.

GoatCheese

Veteran
CBD is anti psychotic so look for a strain that is high in it. In other words, you want hemp. Very little stone but lots of anti stone which is cbd.

He might be able to handle some regular strains that are mostly thc but I doubt it will help his symptoms.

Yea, maybe CBD-rich strains could be worth to try. There are alot of 1:1 thc/cbd strains on the market, indica and sativa leaning varities
..but i'd stay away from racy high-thc sativas and such hybrids.

:)

zapallo

yes, i've just read in other forum testimony of a schizofrenic that started taking high CBD cannabis oil (it was a harlequin i think) and has done pretty well :) also as it has no psycoactive nor any secondary effect, it's not really a risk to tell him to try (as far as the thc remains really low)

FishmanK

Thanx!

Thanx!

actually he isnt a member but has been following the thread and asked me to thank all for their input!

Clinical trials have been done in Israel and Spain using cbd rich cannabis to control schizophrenia and psychosis , conclusions of the Israel trial were that cbd or cbd rich cannabis controls schizophrenia just as well as the standard pharmaceutical cocktails but the patients did better on the cbd rich cannabis because they experienced no side affects. The fact is that the patients on CBD or CBD rich cannabis were concerned that they were recieving a placebo because they just felt no side affects. Very impressive results seeing as how the #1 complaint from pharmaceuticals is the side affects and this is the #1 reason schizophrenics stop taking their meds. These studies and the results are easily found with the help of google, good luck all !

GoatCheese

Veteran
Also, you can somewhat control the effects of cannabis with a proper dosage. You don't all ways have to smoke the "whole joint", but take only one or two puffs and then put it out.
One or two puffs in the morning can give a nice "background feeling" for a good while without the "over powering" effect you feel after big hits.

Consuming cannabis with a full-stomach might help to get the "comfortable feeling" med-users are after, cause smoking weed on empty stomach can give you an uneasy feeling, and so could have a psychological effect for people with mental issues.
Also..
- Eat and live healthy in general...vitamins and minerals (good nutrition) have a big effect on our mental health.
- Try to sleep well cause sleeping (- disorders) have a huge effect on humans.

PS.
If your friend gets to try some of the CBD-rich cannabis, let us know how it worked for him/her.

:)

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Years ago, I gave 1/8 oz of recreational to a 50 yr. old non-smoker friend who was always a little bit paranoid but curious.

Anyhow, shortly thereafter I started to notice personality changes as he gradually drifted into a severe bout of paranoid schizophrenia and was hospitalized/incarcerated (against his will) several times before regaining control.

He was most likely already on the downward slide but I know smoking the pot didn't help and may have made things worse.:tiphat: