What's new

Help find my PTSD dose

starlys

Hello, I'm here looking for help on choosing amounts and kinds of cannabis for my situation.

In a nutshell I have chronic stress, complex PTSD from childhood (things like being queer, controlling mother, emotional neglect), and being in certain public settings is very triggering. I'd like to take the social fear away so I can function better.

I don't know anyone else who uses it and knows anything, and I've never had a chance to use it recreationally so I don't know where to turn for advice. (I hardly know anyone.)

I got a PTSD official diagnosis and tried edibles so far. I tried 8 times and kept a log of the effects and doses. It's very mixed, but in general it has consistently given me these negatives: some dizziness and lack of focus, hunger, and some tension. It has occasionally given me a slight sense of calm and a few waves of happiness. But I lose strength and am too dizzy to drive if I take enough to get any good effects.

I tried these doses of THC and CBD, in mg:
THC:40, CBD:0 - overdose (got bad instructions)
THC:10, CBD:0 - giggly, hungry, tired, lazy, dizzy
THC:5, CBD:0 - not much effect at all
THC:2, CBD:3 - loosened congestion, tired, a few small waves of euphoria
THC:6, CBD:0 - alternating between dizzy/tired and slightly happy; negligible
THC:3, CBD:6 - almost no effect
THC:8, CBD:3 - bouts of dizzy and tension and loss of focus, hungry

Should I give up on edibles, or what? Am I possibly just not a person that it would benefit?

St. Phatty

Edibles and smoke-ables can have a very different effect.

I used to take edibles all the time when I was younger.

Now, I take them for one day. Then I need to take a break.

Smoke-able pot - that I can do every day.

If the edibles ain't working, maybe try smoking it ?

Croissant

For your situation I recommend the strains yumboldt, Deep chunk, and djshorts blueberry.

All three of those strains have a very powerful anti-anxiety component while leaving the head relatively clear albeit rather dreamy.

Deep chunk feels just like seraquel without the insane side effects like dementia.

Yumboldt is my personal favorite from that list and I think could easily replace benzos.

Both the deepchunk and yumboldt have an extremely relaxing effect that is very good for releasing muscular tension, especially tension you are not even aware of but just feels like hypervigilince.

and while those strains may help with symptom management they are no replacement for an analysis with a psychoanalyst.

Last edited:

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm diagnosed with Combat PTSD, Last time i was in Iraq i was smoking hash the entire time i was there, Smoke is the only way to go and I personally smoke Sativa dom Hybrid from time i wake till just before bed then ill smoke something 100% indica and do find.

Edibles only work for me when they have to cause, i cant smoke like on a plane, in court, At work, Etc.

what you're really looking for is something, I find the OG kushes very good cause they have a slight narcotic high, But something that lasts for hours, Much of the strains i stay away from have short or mild or weak highs.Get yourself a weed pen vap like the PAX, or a pipe and pack a small amount and smoke till you feel your head change then stop. If you're not a smoker it could take two or three weeks of of taking a hit up to six times a day to become acclimated, but you're not looking to get ripped like smoking out a bong or such. Even a whole joint is to much for me alone if I'm only trying to control the symptoms and carrying the rest of the burnt joint is just to foul.

Last edited:

Irotas

Edibles don't seem to have much of an effect on me, so that could be the case with you too.

When you smoke, you get the taste, and effects from the terpenes which can have an influence on the high you experience.

mogroith

Smoking is the way to go, have 2 friends with PTSD, me PTSD, ADHD we all prefer different strains to medicate, but agree sativa dominant or pure sativa work the best, I mix a couchlock stain with mine at the end of the day to relax and sleep, which my high alert PTSD affects, nearly 50 from 22 the most I have slept is 3 hours without being sedated in hospital.

Enjoy the journey, every strain works differently on each person when medicating, I find strains with a lemon, pepper, lime, sandalwood, smell work best for me, my friend says berry smells and flavours are best for him.

Edibles need to be dialled in to the individual, to get full effect, that's my opinion.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Question is, HOW much are you ingesting or smoking at one time? Cut down on the dose, like 1 toke, apportion of an edible. You want to "function" not be blitzed.

MrBungle

if you are planning to try smoking it... its probably easier to smoke out of a bowl rather than learning to roll a joint.. there is an art form to smoking out of the bowl...
a lot of the glass ones these days have a carb hole you have to cover with your finger while you inhale, then let go to allow air to mix with the smoke and cool it down... it also works well to stoke the fire in your bowl once you get the process down...
lots of folks freak out cause they have to light a lighter with one hand while using the other to control the airflow.. so I suggesst getting some hemp wick and a candle.... so you dont have to concentrate so hard at doing it all at once.... the hemp wick also burns cooler and doesnt leave residual butane in the smoke.. a lot easier on your throat and lungs....
if you can roll a doob.. then by all means roll it up light it up smoke it up! :D

starlys

Thanks everyone. It sounds like vapor or smoke may be better for me. And I'll try the ones that Croissant recommended if I can find them.

danuttmahn

Hello, I'm here looking for help on choosing amounts and kinds of cannabis for my situation.

In a nutshell I have chronic stress, complex PTSD from childhood (things like being queer, controlling mother, emotional neglect), and being in certain public settings is very triggering. I'd like to take the social fear away so I can function better.

I don't know anyone else who uses it and knows anything, and I've never had a chance to use it recreationally so I don't know where to turn for advice. (I hardly know anyone.)

I got a PTSD official diagnosis and tried edibles so far. I tried 8 times and kept a log of the effects and doses. It's very mixed, but in general it has consistently given me these negatives: some dizziness and lack of focus, hunger, and some tension. It has occasionally given me a slight sense of calm and a few waves of happiness. But I lose strength and am too dizzy to drive if I take enough to get any good effects.

Should I give up on edibles, or what? Am I possibly just not a person that it would benefit?

I would recommend vaporizing. It is the most efficient method of consuming cannabis. As for meds, many strains can help, but I believe how the plant is grown is just as important as the strain. You need quality meds. Good luck

I have PTSD since childhood. I have been self-mediating my entire adult life. I can tell you, to smoke slowly, until your brain slows down and you stop thinking about things so much. Smoke enough to relax first and go from there. Smoking is better as you can control your levels. The ideal situation is to smoke enough to forget why you feel the stress from the cause of the PTSD. meditation also works for PTSD. I used to work in health care and mental health support. meditation or quiet time to focus the mind is as important if not more important than the MMJ. Start by forgiving yourself for what you endured and congratulate yourself for surviving this long. Self Compassion is important in growing from PTSD to normal, whatever normal is. I have never been normal. I am a savant.

Bongstar420

Hmmm. I bet an atomizer with lavander oil would do the trick.

I never noticed anything but good sleep from Seroquel. In fact, there were less after effects than Ambian.

I don't see how pot could be more antianxiety than benzos without the placebo effect. At the very least, THC is the last thing "helping" in that equation.

As an ADHD person, oral CBD though its hardly evident now as an adult and I never got my hands on CBD 10 years ago. Smoking THC sounds like a reason to get high to me.

I probably have PTSD, but I don't want to talk about it nor have I ever thought of my drug use as treatment for it. It was from my late childhood to teen years, and not related to my career choices.
For your situation I recommend the strains yumboldt, Deep chunk, and djshorts blueberry.

All three of those strains have a very powerful anti-anxiety component while leaving the head relatively clear albeit rather dreamy.

Deep chunk feels just like seraquel without the insane side effects like dementia.

Yumboldt is my personal favorite from that list and I think could easily replace benzos.

Both the deepchunk and yumboldt have an extremely relaxing effect that is very good for releasing muscular tension, especially tension you are not even aware of but just feels like hypervigilince.

and while those strains may help with symptom management they are no replacement for an analysis with a psychoanalyst.

EastFortRock

I would second that idea of getting some strain with Yumbolt in it. My personal pollen chucked seeds from a Yumbolt cross don't seem to get people paranoid and anxious.

LostTribe

Premium user

I could go for some of the giggles! Best of luck you probably want something that hits you but leaves you functioning. I don't find functioning at all with medibles you might try vaporizing.

LostTribe

Premium user
If you haven't toked before I recommend a water bong or joints for starters.

The first times a Hell of a Trip!

Latest posts

Latest posts