What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Issue with growroom amps

Just found out/realized/remembered my room only has 50 amps available... just did the math and mid summer if I’m using everything plus a/c I’ll be running @ 52amps out of 50 the breaker has... will it instantly start popping?? Not everything runs 24/7. By the team I need a/c I’d be in flower so lights and ac would only run same time for 12 hours... thoughts??? That’s everythung lights/fans/pumps/ac/dehuy ect.

Just found out/realized/remembered my room only has 50 amps available... just did the math and mid summer if I’m using everything plus a/c I’ll be running @ 52amps out of 50 the breaker has... will it instantly start popping?? Not everything runs 24/7. By the team I need a/c I’d be in flower so lights and ac would only run same time for 12 hours... thoughts??? That’s everythung lights/fans/pumps/ac/dehuy ect.

I'm no electrician but as a rule i only run 80% of amps available so this would be 40AMP's if I was at this place.

Please don't run 52amps on a 50amp circuit your asking for a fire?

How many amps is your A/C, How many lights and what amps are they?

Badfishy1

Theoretically, you should only load a breaker to 80%. Also you would have to check actual draw. For instance the start up on an AC is not the same as run load. But what’s the worst that can happen? A fire...

Theoretically, you should only load a breaker to 80%. Also you would have to check actual draw. For instance the start up on an AC is not the same as run load. But what’s the worst that can happen? A fire...

Same way I work, 80% of the breaker. Also matched to the same amps or most times more amp cable, Delay start up if running 600 Watt HPS, Testing all kit for there real AMP/Power on start up etc..

NO one want's a fire hey!

Nvm. I added my ac twice in the original calculation and I added 2 extra fans. I’m at 41/50 so I think I should be okay. And again, it’s not even summer yet.

Badfishy1

Nvm. I added my ac twice in the original calculation and I added 2 extra fans. I’m at 41/50 so I think I should be okay. And again, it’s not even summer yet.

Another thing to consider (as touched on briefly) is wire size. Are you running a single breaker? As in 1-50 amp breaker feeding everything? Or are you feeding a sub panel then have multiple smaller branch circuits? If running a single 50a breaker make sure you aren’t attaching 12 or 14 awg wire to it

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I'm in the UK, working to EU regs.

A 50 amp mcb is designed to protect a 50 amp load. It must not trip until at least 56.5amps, but must trip within an hour at 72.5amps.

Most mcb's are type B, but if your getting nuisance tripping due to inrush current, it's common to reassess the circuit for Type C usage. Typically specified for HID's and motors.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Where is the 50 designation coming from?

It's so easy to loose track when we all use slightly different terms. I'm hopeful that you found it's fed with a 50 amp fuse in some other panel. As I have not seen a 50a panel before. It would be a 60 here, but could still be fed with anything up to that value.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Simple, if it overloads the breaker will flip. If the wire is sized right the breaker will flip to protect your wire from overheat
Quickest way to a fire is to depend on tripping breakers as a 'warning.' Keep in mind, breakers are designed and manufactured by humans. They DO fail, sometimes the first time they're supposed to trip.

:tiphat:

Badfishy1

Where is the 50 designation coming from?

It's so easy to loose track when we all use slightly different terms. I'm hopeful that you found it's fed with a 50 amp fuse in some other panel. As I have not seen a 50a panel before. It would be a 60 here, but could still be fed with anything up to that value.

Agree very little info... would suspect it is main lug panel with either a 50a at main distribution or a main breaker conversion

Badfishy1

Simple, if it overloads the breaker will flip. If the wire is sized right the breaker will flip to protect your wire from overheat

Guess you aren’t familiar w Chinese knock off breaks that are literally nothing more than a single pole switch in a plastic casing.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Make sure you have at least a 6 awg wire. Preferably 4 awg. If you dont the wire will melt/ explode long before the breaker trips.

troutman

Seed Whore
Just cut a light or two out your production goals to get below 50 amps. :tiphat:

Don't push a circuit to the max and expect no problems forever.