What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Movies - How Did I Miss That?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
You heard of Spaghetti Westerns? Well how about the Chinese version?

5 Fingers of Death.

I became a fricken ninja after watching that. lol. (seriously)
So you've seen Five Element Ninja? AKA Chinese Super Ninja.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwk8aOVuvO4
and Duel to the Death?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxmQCFkHaCY
And I mean I bet a lot of people purposely forget it exists, but there is even a live action Fist of the North Star.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRxlusrAT4

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Zachariah! Yes! The Ultimate Cult Movie!
I love this thread. Anybody remember Liquid Sky? Low budget gender bender.

I freaked out on a Japanese movie called Tetsuo:The Iron Man, a lucky pick back in the Blockbuster Video days that blew my mind.

Anybody that hasn't seen The Warriors, should bake up and see it. Keep 'em coming!

WelderDan

Veteran
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry is worth it just for the first 15 minutes alone. It's pretty nuts.

Natural Born killers with Woody Harrelson is good

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Classic

Raising Arizona

You'll laugh at this but The Birdcage just cracks me up. I never thought anyone could upstage Robin Williams, but Nathan Lane did. And Hank Azaria as the Guatemalan houseboy was hilarious. "You know I can't wear shoes, they make me fall down!"

Second hand Lions with Robert Duvall and Michael Caine

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

Megaforce

Bobby Boucher

OMG. TETSUO. I haven't seen that since i was like.... FIVE. Caught a good bluray dl, should be up in 5 min.

Watched Frankenhooker last night for the first time. Patty Mullen is a stone cold fox.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Great thread Idea Tycho, Off the top of my head:

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford (Such a good movie)
Point Break 2015
Into The Wild
Across The Universe (beetles musical movie)
Lord Of War
The Matrix Trilogy
Fight Club
The Butterfly Effect
Requiem For A Dream (saw it was mentioned already)
Vanilla Sky
The Last Samurai
Limitless
Law Abiding Citizen
Blow
Catch Me If You Can
Saving Private Ryan
Aviator
Free State Of Jones
Three Kings
The Perfect Storm
Forest Gump
Gladiator
Troy
Layer Cake
El Mariachi, Desperado and Desperado 2 trilogy
The 5th Element
chappie
American Made
Kung Fu Killer (martial arts fighting movie)
Man Of Tai Chi (martial arts fighting movie)

Less seriuos/comedy movies:

I Heart Huckabees (One of my all time favorites)
Burn After Reading (seen it mentioned already, loved this movie)
Idiocracy
Hamlet 2 (Rock me Sexy Jesus!)
Freddy got fingered
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Year One
Tenacious D Pick Of Destiny
Youth In Revolt
Walk Hard
Step Brothers
Blades Of Glory
Semi Pro
The Big Lebowski

shithawk420

Veteran
So you've seen Five Element Ninja? AKA Chinese Super Ninja.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwk8aOVuvO4
and Duel to the Death?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxmQCFkHaCY
And I mean I bet a lot of people purposely forget it exists, but there is even a live action Fist of the North Star.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRxlusrAT4
Yep,seen than all.my dad and I busted out laughing when the gold ninjas started spinning thier fans.

It was a Shaw Bros movie right?

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry is worth it just for the first 15 minutes alone. It's pretty nuts.

Natural Born killers with Woody Harrelson is good

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Classic

Raising Arizona

You'll laugh at this but The Birdcage just cracks me up. I never thought anyone could upstage Robin Williams, but Nathan Lane did. And Hank Azaria as the Guatemalan houseboy was hilarious. "You know I can't wear shoes, they make me fall down!"

Second hand Lions with Robert Duvall and Michael Caine

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

Megaforce
The Birdcage is one of my favorites. If I'm ever in a bad mood, I watch it and laugh my ass off.

"She work hard for the mony, eh eh, eh eh." Hank Azaria upstages all of them with his "natural heat" and Guatamaleness.

kaochiu

Veteran
A few objectively good random movies:
-Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (Paul Newman with a long beard)
-The Long Good Friday (Bob Hoskins finest role)
-Trouble In Mind (because of Alan Rudolph's atmospheric filmaking)
-Raging Bull (nails you in your seat from the opening scene with Cavaleria Rusticana)
-Once Upon A Time In America (Leone, Morricone, De Niro and so on)
-Bienvenido, Mr Marshall (oscar winning funny spanish movie from the fifties)
-Good Morning Babylon (Taviani bros. Hollywood tale)
-Paris, Texas (Ry Cooder takes you through it)
-Cyrano de Bergerac (one of Depardieu's finest moments)
-Carandiru (Brazil's largest jail, book and script written by the prison's doctor)
-Dersu Uzala (By Kurosawa, 24 images per filmed second, 24 pictures to hang on the wall)
-The Elephant Man (David Lynch directing, Truffaut acting, John Hurt performing)
-Muerte de un Burócrata (Black 60's comedy from Cuba)
-Deprisa, Deprisa (Madrid outskirts in early 80's played by non-proffesional actors)

White Beard

Spaghetti westerns - gotta love ‘em, many are cowboy versions of Samurai movies.

One that really breaks even *that* mold is Duck You Suckers, aka Fistful of Dynamite. Sergio Leone gives us James Coburn’s Irish bomber and Rod Steiger’s Mexican bandit as a pair of unlikely revolutionaries.

On the Chinese side, everybody’s seen Crouching Tiger, but Hero, House of Flying Daggers, and Curse of the Golden Flower are ALL great: beautiful to see, gripping to watch...but for the dedicated, I highly recommend Red Cliff.

It’s the story of one of the most pivotal battles in Chinese history, and it’s FIVE HOURS LONG, but fukken DAMN it’s good. There is a 3-hour version, but it leaves out a lot of what really makes the thing great.

Kurosawa’s been mentioned, but if you haven’t seen Seven Samurai or Rashomon, you’re missing some of the very best.

Another hilarious oddball movie is Invasion!, also called Top of the Food Chain...I won’t even try to describe it.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
One movie I'd like to see again is A Boy And His Dog, starring Don Johnson. I'm not a Don Johnson fan, but this isn't a typical Don Johnson movie.

kaochiu

Veteran
K is for Kurosawa, but also for Kieslovsky. The Dekalog is very god cinema, also the trilogy of White, Blue and Red. The Double Life of Veronique has a really amazing soundtrack, music is signed under the name of Van Budenmayer, a fictitious composer from the XVI century, but in reality is the job of his usual composer Zbigniew Preisner and himself. Haunting.
On another line, two old italian comedies i fondly remember. One is "Guardia e Ladri" (Police and Thieves) with the great Totó in the role of thief. The other is "Mimi Metallurgica", about a sicilian man's revenge plan as he suspects of his wife infidelity. I watched it in VO without subs and still laughed like a maniac. Italian cinema is a planet.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Gonna Git You Sucka!

Awesome blacksploitation movie, beginning with the aquarium platform shoes with dead fish inside. Oh yeah!

Spaghetti westerns?

My Name is Nobody, with Henry Fonda and some kid I don't remember. Hilarious. :D

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
^^ ya ya... Terence Hill. Terrence did a lot with Bud Spencer. lol. Loved those two together.

Gun/Slap. lmao!!
[iframe1]9C-fRdCmzDk[/iframe1]