What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Buffering CoCo?

ChillinjAh

Hello everyone, I've been reading a lot about coco recently. I've always been a fan of this medium. The reason I'm writing I have a few question regarding buffering the medium. So I usually get bricks of coco. They are quite nice quality, it says that it's been washed with soft water, buffered and pressed to bricks. What I used to do is just simply rehydrate them in ph'ed water and rinse again with 5.8 ph water. I use tap water which is quite hard and I guess has quite a lot of cal/mag in it as a result. Before replanting into a final pot I wet it again with water and 1/2 strength nutes(canna). Now I've been reading specifically cocoforcannabis.com and he leaves his coco in cal/mag solution for 8h+ hours to change cations. So my question is since I already get +- good quality brick and have hard water Am I basically doing the same and changing cation sites without knowing that i buffer them right? I haven't had problems with cal/mag, but I still want to improve my methods and knowledge. The only cal/mag nute that I have available for me is no brand 4-0-0 which has quite a lot of Nitrogen on it's own so if it's not necessary I would like to avoid using it. Any suggestions? As always, Am thankful for your help.

ridoo

hi ChillinjAh,
i use good coco brick when i need, tap water and canna nuts to

i use to hydrate my bricks with a "light" solution
for 1L solution :

canna A+B nuts 1ml
cannazymes 2ml or more
rhizotonic 1ml

and i set ph around 5.80

i don't even rinse again, i pot my seedlings or clones right into it

even more, i reuse coco from previous harvest as it is, i just flush it with more enzymes than usual one or two then i pot my clones inside, and that's it

i use new bricks only if i need to pot more clones than previous harvest :)

h.h.

Veteran
Coco has a lot of salt.
Cal/mag displaces the salt.
Once its done, it's done.