What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What changes did you make to go from 1 to 2 pounds per 1000w light?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I have a 630. Side by side with a 1k I got exactly half with the 630. There is nothing hard about a 1k light. Get a hood with glass or a cool tube and an 8" fan on a fan speed controller. Done

As for co2, if I get two lb a light without it I would get two lb plus 30% with co2.

This is proven growing methods that yield excellent and excellent quality cannabis. There are many ways to grow but that is one way to get results proven time and time again.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
There is nothing hard about a 1k light. Get a hood with glass or a cool tube and an 8" fan on a fan speed controller. Done

If you use glass, you don't have 1000w of light. It's an 850. I don't see that as good management. It's getting you nearly a gram a watt though, so it's alright. Imagine using lamps that didn't need you to chuck 15% away though. You might break through the 1gpw ceiling.

1gpw. That would barely get a second look on the 14w led thread. Now that really is manageable light.

Using the rather unfair lumen measurements, a typical 1000 puts out 130,000 and clean glass might leave you with 110,000 of them. A 600 gives 90,000 which makes a 1000 behind glass 66% more fuel hungry for 20% more light. Ask a polar bear if he thinks that's good light management.

budsicles

Using soil and 2-3 weeks of veg time, I've never been able to consistently get more than 0.6 gpw from a 1000w hid lamp. I replaced one of my 1k hps with around 430w of cxb3590 cobs and immediately started getting 1-1.2 gpw with no other changes. The quality is also slightly better. Just a little more resin and aroma. Probably from the lack of infrared baking the buds 12h a day.

I think that's going to be your easiest way to get 2 lbs from 1000w. With hydro/aero and a super high yielding cut in a sog grow, 4 lbs could be possible.

Drop That Sound

No one's mentioned a vertical grow, with a perfectly scrogged 360 degree canopy all the way around a 1k bulb. I don't mean having a bunch of plants with vertical bulbs in between them all, i'm talking a full canopy around the bulb, not a single wasted space in the trellis.

I like to train large wide single plants into a bowl shape under a 1k, can easily hit 1gpw or get 2 that way. I imagine if I bare bulbed it and grew a plant upside down on the ceiling too (if I had room) and also had canopy around the walls I could at the least double it. As if my canopy was a perfect sphere around the light. I've yet to ever try a vertical cylindrical style grow, but I can see how it would be the best way to maximize any HID.

Drop That Sound

Anyone ever wonder if the super lumen "overclock" setting (1100w) on digi ballasts would make up for some of the 15% loss through the glass?

I already have heard the 50 and 75% dim feature causes 1k HPS bulbs to have less pressure and mess with the spectrum, making the bulbs even weaker than just running a 400 if your on 50%, or a 600 if your on 75%, etc. Makes me wonder if the 1100w feature does the opposite and is worth anything more than a marketing gimmick.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Overclocking would run the lamp hotter, giving a warmer light I expect. Which may actually help older lamps, but Hg free one's could see a diminishing blue spectrum, that in turn could lead to problems. It's a 1000 though. It wasn't lacking, so some lost could mean little. I don't know though. It's just logical.

I don't think you can grow a plant down from the ceiling. Have you tried to grow up past a lamp? They don't bend down towards it. My experience is they get ill. I once turned off my hids and left on the floor lights to get a few days away. They didn't like that at all.

Your method of making a 1000 work is without doubt a working one. You have seen how far to keep from the lamp, and placed your buds accordingly. The 'how far' is a use of space though. Smaller lamps have less use of space. There is a question of how much space do your lights need. Verse how much space do you have. Training can try to eliminate this equation. But I'm starting to see this as hard work to use 1000s, that offers no advantage over 600s. Where the canopy will also take on a hollowed out appearance under the lamps. But it's more of a ripple on the ocean, then a larger crested wave. The difference is enough that a scrog is typical under 600 or less, but under 1000s people start looking at different methods.

I don't think overclocking 10% to offset the glass loss would make the polar bear any happier. Perhaps dimming then taking the glass off would be better. Or just get a 6 and run it at the right temperature. No cool tubes.

Edit: I can see what I put.. but I'm not pointing it out. 600s are generally more efficient, so using a 1000 and then covering it in glass is an environmental disaster. I won't say anything to support that behaviour. I will add the fan though. A 1000w cooled lamp, probably has an 80w fan attached. Dropping efficiency a further ~8%

Last edited:

blubear

Canopy management was one of many components that greatly improved yields. Patience is key with canopy management. Lastly, find one grower you really respect and if he gives you the recipe for his grow, follow it down to every little detail.

Ruby_Abu

Some commercial growers said they can get 2 gram each wattage from HPS light. 2 pounds one 1000W light seems very less.
Many growers tend to use HPS with LED together to get better yield. I tried but failed. Is it a rumor?

popta

No one's mentioned a vertical grow, with a perfectly scrogged 360 degree canopy all the way around a 1k bulb. I don't mean having a bunch of plants with vertical bulbs in between them all, i'm talking a full canopy around the bulb, not a single wasted space in the trellis.

I like to train large wide single plants into a bowl shape under a 1k, can easily hit 1gpw or get 2 that way. I imagine if I bare bulbed it and grew a plant upside down on the ceiling too (if I had room) and also had canopy around the walls I could at the least double it. As if my canopy was a perfect sphere around the light. I've yet to ever try a vertical cylindrical style grow, but I can see how it would be the best way to maximize any HID.

I talked about that style in post #16 if you're interested. HID bulbs don't actually throw "spheres" of light. Obviously zero light can shine up through the base & socket at the top of the bulb, but very little shines out the bottom either. The light pattern looks like this:

J5JOHGV.png

(That's from the spec sheet for a 600w HPS) So there's about a 60 degree cone above and below the bulb that's actually very shady and the full strength light is only being thrown out to the sides. This is why people focus on perfecting the cylinder walls and don't worry about the roof so much.

Drop That Sound

Ahh I overlooked it. Cylindrical vertical grows for the win. Wonder if anyone has used a light mover (more like a mini winch) that raises and lowers the bulb in a vertical cylinder, even just a ft up or down?

Unless of course you designed a bulb spinner contraption with an electrical swing connection of sorts, that rotates the bulb around in circles to light a sphere. Not practical but fun to think about anyway!

I've tethered my cool tubes with strings and eye hooks to act like pullys, to a 16" oscillating fan on the wall before. As the fan moves back and forth it also pulls the bulbs back and forth (and even up and down slightly). Almost perfectly in the curved bowl shape of the scrogged plants. Kept the 1ks from scorching the buds too, without dimming them.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
That was supposed to be a pic.
How can I edit?

there are 2 ways to post pics, probably more, but clicking album and loading your pic to the album works well. you can then click the pic to full size, scroll down coppy paste the link with the img tags and you can post full size pics.

or you use the advanced reply where you will find manage pic where you can load a pic directly to the thread, without putting it in your albums.

Rosco

there are 2 ways to post pics, probably more, but clicking album and loading your pic to the album works well. you can then click the pic to full size, scroll down coppy paste the link with the img tags and you can post full size pics.

or you use the advanced reply where you will find manage pic where you can load a pic directly to the thread, without putting it in your albums.

Thanks.

I think I dragged and dropped it from my desktop....I dunno.

I'll try the album.

Rosco