What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2019 starting all from feminised

I should have my 2019 feminised beans in the next 7-10 days.

I went with:

SensiSeeds California Indica
Sensi Seeds Hindu Kush
Royal Queen Blue Cheese
Royal Queen Pineapple Kush

I’m going to germinate them middle March indoors. They’ll eventually be going into 200 gallon shorty soil saver pots that are 14” tall and 65” wide. I was going to get clones again this year but after seeing someone grow from seed outdoors on YouTube I’m curious to give it a try this year. The person I saw growing was pulling 3 to 4 units per 65 gallon pot. Best I got from clones last year was about 2 per pot and not all yielded that much.

Accu Weather is telling me this year the coldest day of May is should/could be 34 degrees and on the 1st.

I’m at 41 longitude. May 1st day length is 14 hours 3 minutes. May 16th day length is 14 hours 34 minutes. May 31st day length is 14 hours 57 minutes.

If I germinate seeds middle March should a 10 gallon fabric pot be enough to hold them til they go in their final pot?

I’ve heard you can plant seed starts earlier than clones. I plan on keeping them in a greenhouse until I do the final transplant. When do you think I should plant in their final pot?

Sorry in advance if these are dumb questions I browse threads an google search all the time trying to learn more and watch tons of YouTube videos. I think the hardest thing for me to do in growing which I hope to some day is going to actually grow organic. I’m hoping to switch over in another cpl years when my soil is tapped out.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
If you germinate them soon 10 gallon pots should be plenty of space, fabric pots can be a pain in the ass to transplant out of though and recommend starting in plastic containers. After the last chance of freezing temperatures is when its safe to put them outdoors in the final pots/holes, early May is pretty common.

My neighbors put out some clones 3rd week of May and some started flowering. This putting them out after last frost is for seeds only or clones too?

My neighbors put out some clones 3rd week of May and some started flowering. This putting them out after last frost is for seeds only or clones too?

green-genes77

Veteran
Clones can sometimes be more sensitive than seed plants to short day length in my experience. If you're worried about them flowering on you I would simply wait until late May. I am at 44N and I generally wait until then to plant out. I have noted that many people tend to push it and plant on Mothers Day but in my experience these only have marginally more actual vegetative growth and basically no additional yield compared to plants set out a few weeks later in spring. That Hindu Kush in particular might have a tendency to flower or just languish and do nothing if planted out too early. Many cultivars descended from temperate region stock will flower at 14 hours of light. That California Indica might do the same.

Personally I would go with rigid plastic #5 squat pots. That should be sufficient for two plus months of growth from seed and they'll be easier to work with at transplant time than fabric as noted above.

I have some 5 gallon hard plastic pots that I used last year on some clones I got March 25th. I kept them under fluorescents for 3 weeks then put them under 1000w gavita knock offs til June 1st. The clones grew quick and were super floppy when put outside. I used a 3’ diameter cage when I planted them cuz its windy where I am. I just don’t want them to get root bound in the 5’s.

40degsouth

Hi Smokinfat,
In my experience successful transplants has more to do with the soil temperature than the ambient temperature!!!!!!!
Once the soil has risen to 10deg c it's ready for transplant.
Raised garden beds get hotter, quicker than normal soil and you can even put black plastic over the surface to expedite this process, this will shine from the air when new.
If you have the space, plant straight into the biggest pot you've got, alowing for propper root development, i.e. the roots have penetrated the soil enough to hold it together at transplant without falling to bits and damaging the system. Alowing the pot/plant to dry out a bit will help with this, in plastic pots. Tailor the size of the pot to the plant's root system and vigour at transplant and if it's not ready leave it to develop properly!!!!
90% of plants will stall if you take them from a cosy inside/greenhouse environment and put them in cold soil.
To give you an example, this year l planted six Space Monkeys seven days before the no moon in early October, kept them under a sky light inside and transplanted once they had their second set of leaves. As an experiment, l planted another three, using the same lunar cycle, in November and these plants are now bigger and more healthy than their early siblings and when l say "bigger" they are growing into nine feet tall and are eight to ten feet wide and were planted one month later.
In short, if you can keep your plants warm and growing vigorously indoors/greenhouse don't be tempted to plant them out until the soil temperature has risen to ten degrees celcius and they have the potential to grow into true outdoors monsters.
Hope this helps,
Cheers 40

Thanks 40DS that sounds like it makes sense haha. I’m watching Kali Grown Buds on YouTube and also Mendo Dope who both plant in April. I’d like to get em in as soon as possible so I don’t have to camp out on my property too long.

Can’t wait to get started!

Thanks 40DS that sounds like it makes sense haha. I’m watching Kali Grown Buds on YouTube and also Mendo Dope who both plant in April. I’d like to get em in as soon as possible so I don’t have to camp out on my property too long.

Can’t wait to get started!

40degsouth

Glad it made sense Smokinfat.
I must admit l still persevere with early planting of new genetics to find vigorous phenos that do well in the wet, cold conditions that my R and D garden dishes up every year.
This season l found three, one Wookie leaning Space Monkey and two Sunshine Daydreams.
I find that the selection process of most breeders seems to be towards early vigour in green houses rather than early vigour from direct plantings, for gorilla applications; so this is something I'm trying to breed towards in my own program.
Cheers 40

Latest posts

Latest posts