What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sun Bleached Weed

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I was pretty busy at harvest time last year. I had a few plants in my yard, but was treating them like an afterthought. I cut a few down and was drying them in my shed. After drying, I moved the bud out of the shed while I cleaned it. I forgot about the buds. A week or two later, I noticed the screens of buds on my deck. They were the most beautiful golden yellow color with absolutely no sign of chlorophyll. If they were in bags, it would have had the best bag appeal you could ever ask for. I thought "there's no way in hell Colombian Gold could be that gold." Like I said, I was busy and simply dumped the buds in front of my lawn tractor and drove over it.

The reason Colombian Gold was gold is because they used to ring the stalk and let the weed plant dry standing in the sun. Now I'm wondering if that would have been good smoke.

Has anyone ever tried weed bleached by nature like that? At worst it would have tasted like an old cigarette butt. But at best??

I wood

What? You weren’t even curious enough to sample at the time? Missed opportunity for sure. Could have been great or at least a learning experience.
I suspect many weird food items were invented on accident in a similar manner.
Busy people fucking up but hungry/thrifty enough to sample the mistakes, cheese, yougurt, and many other things come to mind.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
MAN!!! What an awesome opportunity... Missed...

You're not much of a stoner if you didn't think to sample that. LOL JK...

I bet it would have been some KILL!

igrowone

Veteran
i've read about the girding trick and gold bud
but when you think about what the tropical sun can do
i'm leaning towards that's where the old golds came from, sun bleaching
maybe some other tricks thrown in

CrushnYuba

I would have tossed it also. Brown with all the terpines baked out of it. I do it all the time.
A big outdoor branch cracks from wind. I don't care if it's a 4oz or a lb. The rule here is if it looks like it's been drying outside for a day or more, it goes in the compost. If it hasn't dried much, it gets saved.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
lol. Nope. I just love growing. Not much of a stoner. I max out at one toke. If I take two I'll be lying down until the initial rush passes. I'll take 3-4 tokes at a concert and lay down on the grass for a bit :D, then pretend I could play in the band. lol. On a tolerance scale of 1-10, I'm a 0.5

I've seen the browning stuff on collapsed plants. This stuff wasn't brown like that or old bricked and fermented weed (which is something I'm trying to replicate with Swazi).

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I've smoked that stuff in south america. One bag of Ecuadorean Chola (landrace?) came in a 3rd world grocery bag and dusty dry from and old fisherman. It tasted so bad you gagged after every exhale, but the high was fantastic. I got seeds but germination is terrible (2/100) so far. I said it before - If I get it to grow I'll call it Ecuadorian Fisherman's Arse and push the seeds on Seedbay.

Growcephus

Veteran
I was doing some testing on cuttings and forgot about one that eventually flowered, died and dried in the greenhouse to the point it had turned completely yellow/brown. I sampled some of the little flowers that grew and it was nice. Light tasting, but very nice.

I prefer the fresh taste of bud that still has those nice terps in it though.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Some of the best bud (in strength of stone and how long it lasted) I ever grew was outdoor blue dream that got chopped early and then left to finish on the stems in a cardboard box in the sun on the porch in ChulaVista, Ca. Similar situation totally forgot about it, maybe 10 days or 2 weeks later we discovered it again and the buds had shrunken/got way denser, turned to a nice cured cob color and texture like hash almost with a nice sweet smell and taste when smoked.

Last edited:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
One bag of Ecuadorean Chola (landrace?) came in a 3rd world grocery bag and dusty dry from and old fisherman. It tasted so bad you gagged after every exhale, but the high was fantastic. I got seeds but germination is terrible (2/100) so far. I said it before - If I get it to grow I'll call it Ecuadorian Fisherman's Arse and push the seeds on Seedbay.

People love the stanky strains, maybe the next big thing since skunk lmao!

therevverend

Veteran
I've always got old bud lying around in jars I forgot about. Every now and then I'll find one, look at it and smell it. After a year or two it'll start smelling like that old import bud, kind of like dirty socks and wet hay. I think a lot of the old timey stuff took so long to sell and transport it was just old. Or it was handled so poorly it aged before it's time.

There's exceptions, the other day I found a jar with a bud that smelled interesting. Had that 'Old Gold' type smell, dank and attractive. A buddy of mine from down south used to get the best Columbia Gold in Florida. Every now and then he'd get excited when he'd be smoking my stuff. Tell me the taste and the high were exactly the same. I think this was the stuff. Hell, maybe it's got some of the genetics or is a long lost second cousin?

I couldn't help it, had to smoke some. It got me nice and high, really enjoyable and relaxing. Some of the old Mendocino sinsemilla has that smell and high. To be honest I think people that ferment, brick, sun dry or whatever are crazy. They smell so good already, after a month or two in a dark room they'll smell and taste as good as they're going to get.

I like to grow strains with candy fruity type flavors, that's half the joy of cannabis, the beautiful herbal flavors and smells. I think the nasty fermented dirty sock fans are usually cigarette smokers, which I don't enjoy either. I try not to knock what other people like but when it's me I usually keep that stuff in the laundry basket.

troutman

Seed Whore
Cutting down on nitrogen early into flowering helps bring out the nice coloration in some plants.
Less nitrogen = less chlorophyll and that will maybe allow you to get gold buds easier under the
right conditions if you have the right plant. You may even see some red, purples or other fancy
colors if you do that.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol. Nope. I just love growing. Not much of a stoner. I max out at one toke. If I take two I'll be lying down until the initial rush passes. I'll take 3-4 tokes at a concert and lay down on the grass for a bit :D, then pretend I could play in the band. lol. On a tolerance scale of 1-10, I'm a 0.5

I've seen the browning stuff on collapsed plants. This stuff wasn't brown like that or old bricked and fermented weed (which is something I'm trying to replicate with Swazi).

View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image

I've smoked that stuff in south america. One bag of Ecuadorean Chola (landrace?) came in a 3rd world grocery bag and dusty dry from and old fisherman. It tasted so bad you gagged after every exhale, but the high was fantastic. I got seeds but germination is terrible (2/100) so far. I said it before - If I get it to grow I'll call it Ecuadorian Fisherman's Arse and push the seeds on Seedbay.

Do it! Do it! I will for sure buy a pack.:tiphat:

Jammal

sun bleaching or sun curing is or was a pretty common thing years ago...its done with tobaccos like turkish smyrna ...old school colombian gold....it was common in the old glory days of Jamaican weed also...

adds a nice mellowing effect,,,euphoric or dreamy, lose some potency

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Aw man, that's the best thing I've seen in a long time. You should make a thread about it. Thanks for posting that SO MUCH!