What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do You Have Photos of Regular or Russet/Broad/Hemp Mites and/or Plant Damage?

G

I have a hunch I might have got them hitchhiking on fungus gnats. The year before the infestation,no gnats,no broad mites(just a few spider mites,no prob),even though next year I was cleaning more.It could be a different thing altogether.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Broad mite egg
picture.php

Broad mite
picture.php

Broad mite male carrying female
picture.php

Broad mite female
picture.php

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
I have a hunch I might have got them hitchhiking on fungus gnats. The year before the infestation,no gnats,no broad mites(just a few spider mites,no prob),even though next year I was cleaning more.It could be a different thing altogether.

G `day SB

White flies are one vector .

sESEzJl.jpg

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Common two spotted spider mites - these fuckers never go away. If I get them under control at my spot, all it takes is a good cold front to blow them back in from the strawberry farms.

Regular IPM spraying of essential oils (rosemary is the base) is key to keeping them in check for me. If I bring anything inside from outdoors, it gets dunked in a bath of isopropyl and peroxide and then back to the weekly IPM routine.

picture.php

picture.php

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Thank you Dawn Patrol and Kcar, great photos there and very easily identified. Good job. :D

Elmer_Bud, the whitefly photo is pure vindication for me for all the years I've bitched about bugs coming in the house. lol I've always considered them vectors for disease and bugs, and damn if I wasn't correct.

Definitely investing in repairing screens this spring. ;)

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Just an update on my war.. I sprayed sulfur twice again since last post. I also defoliated whatever deformed leaf was present (to help keep track of future damage). Plants are starting to bounce back, no more deformed growth and leafs are nice and green. We shall see if I decide to do another spray or not... I suspect these fuckers are living somewhere on my veg cab, so I might just scrap it and build another one...

Anyways, sulfur seems to be working well. I hope I can win this battle soon, already a few months deep... but seems that we are having the upper hand.

Once I decide the sulfur is enough I will spray some Botanigard 3 times 2 days apart and a few days later release some Swirkiis and maybe even andersonis again...

Peace!

Douglas.Curtis

Nice :)

I recommend spraying every 3 days for 15 days. Make sure you're applying it to your carpets and such as well. ;)

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Yesterday upon inspection I saw a few more of them fucks...shit gonna spray some sulfur again today... maybe discard the most affected plants too since its some of my own seeds and I can pop more of them no problem..

G

Regarding broad mites...
I first threw away the most damaged plants (indicas were more affected) and pruned all affected tops on remaining plants.
One application of abamectin and after 4 days one application of spiromesifen (of course before flowering) totally eliminated them. I also gave them aspirin with every watering for about 10 days.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Regarding broad mites...
I first threw away the most damaged plants (indicas were more affected) and pruned all affected tops on remaining plants.
One application of abamectin and after 4 days one application of spiromesifen (of course before flowering) totally eliminated them. I also gave them aspirin with every watering for about 10 days.

G `day Syd

1 -2 Abemectin and Breauveria brassiana .

Breauveria brassiana is a fungus that attacks insects .

Quite effective for me . Twice I had broad mites in veg . Finished the crops successfully .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

G

Hi Elmer!Unfortunately I had trouble finding botanigard (beauveria brassiana) in my country.It needs to be refrigerated and not a lot of use here it seems so it's hard to find (at least for non-professional farmers).

chronic82

Yesterday upon inspection I saw a few more of them fucks...shit gonna spray some sulfur again today... maybe discard the most affected plants too since its some of my own seeds and I can pop more of them no problem..

I know Doug is real big on hating on neem but you really need an ovicide to fight these bastards. Gotta break up that breeding cycle

Douglas.Curtis

Yeah, any oil is going to prevent you from using sulfur. No need for oil, when you eliminate the original source and break the local breeding cycle.

Buddah Watcha, did you use sulfur every 3-4 days for 15 days? What was the original source of infection?

Hey, :)

I'm putting together a spider mite thread and am looking for photo submissions. I've received mites from many growers over the years, but apparently did not take photos before I eliminated them.

Have you had spider mites? two-spotted or otherwise? Have photos of russet/broad mites in full glory? Want credit as the photographer?

I would really appreciate donations of any clear photos you have. I can add your name to the photos, or whatever info you like, before they're posted up.

Thank you
:tiphat:

I have video

https://streamable.com/yk10i?fbclid=IwAR2kdqTR7eeEw6CXSHKK80KtEwqZGm78YQUNuVDudEyKejuzh-B7QsHOE0s

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
I think the original source of infection was the worm castings I was using... I think that was overpopulated with broads... All the plants that received the extra love with some extra top dressing were the most affected ones...

Yesterday I did my last sulfur spray. I sprayed probably 10 days this past month... Every 3-4 days or so... Yesterday there were barelly any signs of damage, so the last spray was more of a preventive... I flipped my next round to flower so we shall see how things perform... I also got another 5k swirskiis coming to help! Hopefully this is the end of the war against this fucks....

I also got rid of my veg room, it was a DIY box made out of wood and panda film... I believe they were also living in there hiding on the edges or whatnot... so that is gone...

The new seedlings look good and plants look happy, lets hope things stay this way and I wont see them fucks ever again... I'm definitely implementing Sulfur as my main IPM protocol! Very effective for sure against broads!

I tried to stay away from Abamectin, I have used in the past with great success but I just dont dig them crazy chemicals around my garden... Living area is not too far from grow area so better to avoid...

So all for all I think Sulfur might be the best option against these fucks... I just ran out of it yesterday need to order a bunch more just in case! Just wish I would have known that earlier, would have saved me a few keepers :(

:rasta: peace!

Douglas.Curtis

Sulfur for the win. The key is using it at pressure or as a dunk, and getting every surface covered. I'm looking forward to having a veg area I can use a sulfur burner in. ;)

Hoping you're clean now, the battle sucks.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Yes, so far so good, no new signs of damage, today I introduced 5k swirskiis just to make sure....

Sulfur spray will be implemented on the veg area every 2 weeks or so...

Anyone knows if there are some down sides of spraying sulfur? (besides the slight leaf damage some plants take...)

Anyways, safer than abamectin, a bit more patience needed and a handful of extra applications, but it surely gets the job done. Just wish I would have known this before I reset my room, would have saved me some real nice plants... oh well, just happy to have beat these fucks for the next run!

Everything is looking great and happy! (knock on wood)

Peace!