What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WHO proposes rescheduling cannabis to allow medical applications

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
World Health Organization proposes rescheduling cannabis to allow medical applications

https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l574

"... The WHO Expert Committee on Drug Dependence has recommended that cannabis resin and other marijuana products should be downgraded from a schedule IV to a schedule I drug under international law. Schedule IV is the strictest category outlined in the 1961 Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs Treaty, meaning that cannabis is currently treated in the same way as heroin, severely restricting scientists who want to investigate the plant in the search for potential therapies. The committee also recommended that THC—the main psychoactive ingredient in cannabis—should be designated as a schedule I drug to simplify its classification. Currently, THC is classified separately as a schedule IV drug under the 1971 Convention on Narcotic Drugs. Furthermore, it proposes that products made with a cannabis extract known as cannabidiol, which contain no more than 0.2 percent THC, should be removed from all international drug control conventions ..."

The WHO writes guidelines for treating and defining disease. More good news it would seem, people waking up perhaps.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
World Health Organization proposes rescheduling cannabis to allow medical applications

https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l574

"... The WHO Expert Committee on Drug Dependence has recommended that cannabis resin and other marijuana products should be downgraded from a schedule IV to a schedule I drug under international law. Schedule IV is the strictest category outlined in the 1961 Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs Treaty, meaning that cannabis is currently treated in the same way as heroin, severely restricting scientists who want to investigate the plant in the search for potential therapies. The committee also recommended that THC—the main psychoactive ingredient in cannabis—should be designated as a schedule I drug to simplify its classification. Currently, THC is classified separately as a schedule IV drug under the 1971 Convention on Narcotic Drugs. Furthermore, it proposes that products made with a cannabis extract known as cannabidiol, which contain no more than 0.2 percent THC, should be removed from all international drug control conventions ..."

The WHO writes guidelines for treating and defining disease. More good news it would seem, people waking up perhaps.

thanks for posting, every step leads toward freedom.:dance013:
I'm not willing to go there yet!

therevverend

Veteran
A lot of people have been waiting for this ruling it opens up the world market for CBD production. Even the hardcore anti-drug countries like Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, etc. are legalizing CBD and some of them are setting up major grows. This sets the stage for growing high CBD strains instead of growing hemp and extracting the small amount of CBD it contains as China has been doing.

One of the dumb rules in place is that once the drugs are extracted from the cannabis it has to be destroyed, just like opium poppies. In China they use their regular commercial hemp for CBD extraction. They end up destroying the hemp fiber instead of using it even though it doesn't contain THC. This ruling probably changes that, makes CBD production that much more profitable.

India is setting up it's first CBD grow this year, the plans have been in the works since last summer in anticipation of this ruling. It's ironic that these Asian countries are bringing in people from Europe and the US to set the grows up because the governments completely lack experience in cannabis.

The ruling on THC won't affect most of us but it will legitimize medical research, once again in some hard core anti-cannabis nations. Maybe the Philippines can ask Gypsy to send them seed to set up their test grows.

Drewsif

Cbd was never regulated. Was never illegal. How do you deregulate something that was never regulated? Some people are really bad at interpreting law is all. And those people are responsible for licensing and taxation of fucking everything.

I hope they legalize water soon so i can get a water permit.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rescheduling will help nothing.

Remove this fine herb from the schedule all together.

therevverend

Veteran
Cbd was never regulated. Was never illegal. How do you deregulate something that was never regulated? Some people are really bad at interpreting law is all. And those people are responsible for licensing and taxation of fucking everything.

The legal status of CBD has been weird and Illogical. The WHO proposed that it shouldn't be a scheduled drug two years ago and CBD could be processed and sold without regulation in America. But it was still considered a Schedule 1 drug by the federal government because it's classified as psychoactive cannabis! And US Customs would seize CBD shipments.

Industrial hemp is legal, industrial hemp products like rope and clothing are legal, but CBD oil obtained from industrial hemp is considered a Schedule 1 drug. Madness.

Rescheduling will help nothing.

Glad there's someone in the universe as cynical as me. We both know that rescheduling is helping someone out quite a bit, the big pharmaceutical drug companies. They'll be selling THC and CBD preparations for huge huge profits.

But the other big winner here is sick people around the world. With CBD no longer restricted millions of people will get the medicine they need, a medicine that not only works better but should be much cheaper then the medicine they've had to use previously. It shows that things can change for the better and that governments can do the compassionate and correct thing. (occasionally..)

Gry

The backstory on how these compounds were originally scheduled is right up there with the darkest and most shame filled episodes of american history. The choice not to use capitalization was deliberate.

armedoldhippy

Veteran

I hope they legalize water soon so i can get a water permit.

CBD derived from drug variety cannabis was illegal, as was the rest of it. still is in many places. CBD from hemp is legal nationwide now, barring 2 idiot states that i know of. i'll write you a water permit sometime today...:biggrin:

St. Phatty

every drug on the planet is subject to regulation, whether you like it or not. might as well get used to it, lol.:tiphat:

What about coffee ?

There are some regulations. The seeds that I have, if I plant them & sprout them, they could be taken away at state lines.

Coffee has an effect a little like meth. If you don't think so, read my longer go-off-on-a-tangent posts.

The Western electronics industry runs on caffeine - and sugar-addicted workers.

Of course, then Cannabis comes in useful later in the day.

Though I've met people who drank so much coffee it was scary, like they were on meth. They would stop the coffee mid-afternoon, then go to the gym, where I knew them from. And still be wired sky-high at 9 PM at night, pouring vast quantities of alcohol down to try & slow down. + Cannabis.

Sort of funny to watch, but I wouldn't want to live in the apartment below them, especially if it had hardwood floors.

I think a lot of them don't sleep.

PDX Dopesmoker

Anything from the WHO is really big news in this context because under the 1961 international drug control treaty the WHO is the authority with respect to scheduling an national governments of signatory nations are expected (treaty bound) to follow WHO guidelines. In America our constitution has the supremacy clause which places treaty law above other rights so if the president wanted to legalize weed and do it the right way he would ask he Secretary of Health & Human Services to contact the WHO and request rescheduling. WHO is the international authority that ultimately guides drug law in most nations, including America.

Galaxy420

Anything from the WHO is really big news in this context because under the 1961 international drug control treaty the WHO is the authority with respect to scheduling an national governments of signatory nations are expected (treaty bound) to follow WHO guidelines. In America our constitution has the supremacy clause which places treaty law above other rights so if the president wanted to legalize weed and do it the right way he would ask he Secretary of Health & Human Services to contact the WHO and request rescheduling. WHO is the international authority that ultimately guides drug law in most nations, including America.

how long until a majority ruling goes above all that nonsense ? we are more than 50% already for "" legal "" states with some type cannabis law on the books

PDX Dopesmoker

how long until a majority ruling goes above all that nonsense ? we are more than 50% already for "" legal "" states with some type cannabis law on the books

Anslinger set it up so that descheduling would be very difficult, but Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, et al helped. The supremacy clause in the constitution is like a get-out-of-jail card for usurping of individual rights and it seemed fishy to me ever since the first time I learned about it.

Gry

Anslinger set it up so that descheduling would be very difficult, but Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, et al helped. The supremacy clause in the constitution is like a get-out-of-jail card for usurping of individual rights and it seemed fishy to me ever since the first time I learned about it.
Advanced deck stacking as a prerequisite.