What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Baking process questions !

SO I am wanting to do some edibles, and maybe some lozenges.. I have never made edibles before, but I have eaten them and been blown away with the potency and hit.. Anyways its time to make my own... So here is my current plan, please look this over and tell me if I am doing something wrong. I am going to use my trim and small buds... the crop had quite a bit of crystal on the big leaves so i kept it all...So I Would rather refine it some before baking with it, I dislike the heavy plant taste in some edibles I have had...

1. Decarb the product using a Ardent Nova Lift
2. Dry sift the product over a fine mesh( or bubble bags )
3. collect the kief
4. bake with the kief, make lozenges with the Kief

Am I missing anything ? I Wouldn't mind something I can dissolve under my tongue, as well as something I can eat..

You will have to infuse whatever sugar you are using with the kief, using lecithin, or you will have a gritty/grainy texture.

I also believe that the lecithin acts as a carrier for the thc in order to enter your bloodstream.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I am pretty sure you have it backwards. I don't think you'll be able to get any dry sift AFTER you decarb the flowers.

Either decarb the flowers and make oil/butter to cook with. Or, dry sift first, and then decarb the sift.

You can try to dry sift it after decarb but I don't think it will work.

Also, any decarb done in the oven has killed most of your terpenes which immensely changes the buzz.

I do edibles every day. Best situation is to use rosin to make caps. The next best thing is to make oil or butter using Sous Vide and then (again) cook with the oil/butter. Use coconut oil for optimum performance.

And, if you have separate terpenes, add some myrcene to increase bioavailability.

And, MOST DEFINITELY...... Don't forget the lecithin. The lecithin is an incredible assist in bioavailability and can easily DOUBLE the effect of edibles.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
And, MOST DEFINITELY...... Don't forget the lecithin. The lecithin is an incredible assist in bioavailability and can easily DOUBLE the effect of edibles.

when do u add the lecithin and how much ?? - we make canna butter... an oz or so of bud in water, add 8oz of unsalted butter, into a crock pot for 7-8 hrs, drain thru cheesecloth into a bowl, into fridge overnite... drain the black water, mix again with hot water..etc..etc - we do it 4 times n water is clear,,

we end up with around 6oz of canna butter... losing about 2oz during the process...

we never used lecithin until reading about it some weeks ago... made a batch of cookies last week n added to the cookie mix a tablespoon of lecthin...

didnt find that the high came on any quicker nor was it stronger -
any guidance?? thanks

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
You will have to infuse whatever sugar you are using with the kief, using lecithin, or you will have a gritty/grainy texture.

I also believe that the lecithin acts as a carrier for the thc in order to enter your bloodstream.
Yes and no. Although it will increase the potency. It really is not required (read an option)

Decarboxilation is a must though. I ingest "mari pills" and they don't contain any Lecithin and work just fine. That being said, my RSO pills do contain it (liquid). :tiphat:

I am pretty sure you have it backwards. I don't think you'll be able to get any dry sift AFTER you decarb the flowers.

Either decarb the flowers and make oil/butter to cook with. Or, dry sift first, and then decarb the sift.

Why couldn’t you dry sift decarbed flowers? The trics aren’t just going to disappear. Your only going to get up to 180 degrees max, and if you’ve ever looked at properly done decarb, you can still see the trics.

There’s nothing backwards here mate.

Sugar melts together at 160 degrees, and lecithin boils at the same temp.

You do not need to decarb anything when using lecithin. It is used to emulsify or bind a fat (thc) to a liquid (melted sugar) and thus being a carrier agent, the thc will enter your bloodstream.

If you add kief in last it will crystallize the sugar, coagulation occurs with the lecithin.

:comfort:

White Beard

You do not need to decarb anything when using lecithin. It is used to emulsify or bind a fat (thc) to a liquid (melted sugar) and thus being a carrier agent, the thc will enter your bloodstream.
Lecithin does not convert THCA into THC, so I hope you’re not looking for a buzz out of it. It will of course, deco itself over time, but we’re talking months, not minutes

Lecithin does not convert THCA into THC, so I hope you’re not looking for a buzz out of it. It will of course, deco itself over time, but we’re talking months, not minutes

I put unpressed bubble, on Greek yogurt, do you think I decarb it? No.

I’ve ate 30mg of dehydrated RSO. I was f’d. I didn’t decarb the batch before processing.

Nomnom. Get it in ya. Did I learn proper dosage, Yes.

If you dissolve your thc in a soluble solution, your going to get spanked regardless if it’s decarbed or not.
:smoke:

White Beard

I’ve ate 30mg of dehydrated RSO. I was f’d. I didn’t decarb the batch before processing.

If you dissolve your thc in a soluble solution, your going to get spanked regardless if it’s decarbed or not.
Today, I learned. I’ll have to see if I can match your experience (for science!)... check me, though:

- my experience with edibles is that it intensifies the effect of cannabinoids ingested by other means
- As medicine, decarb matters, and doesn’t, because all forms of THC are medicinally active, all part of this nutritious breakfast....
- Given that RSO’s basically an ounce cooked in everclear until it’s goo, it’s decarbed to hell and gone already, innit?

Where is my reasoning breaking down? Is it possible to have enough cannabinoids in your system that decarb doesn’t matter anymore, you’re just gonna be in orbit so strap in? If you have the time and the interest, that is?
:tiphat:

Last edited:
Where is my reasoning breaking down? Is it possible to have enough cannabinoids in your system that decarb doesn’t matter anymore, you’re just gonna be in orbit so strap in? If you have the time and the interest, that is?
:tiphat:

Yes, I have found that launching myself into orbit from RSO can be very intimidating, to say the least.:woohoo:

Wherever the thc comes from, once it is in its soluble state, your body can process it.

If you decarb your weed, throw it into a batter and bake it, you have skipped the step of making it soluble and your body can still process it.

Here is hiTimes cookbook pdf

There is stoners cookbook pdf

Here is a pdf on cannabis beverages (very interesting)

There is a ton of info in these books, with a lot more detail than I can give:tiphat:

de145

I'm sorry to disagree with you but this is terrible advice for any newbies out there and is not supported by the facts. I suspect if you *had* decarbed it properly you would have gotten a hundred times higher off it. I don't know where you get your information from but the simple chemistry of it goes against your beliefs. If you got high it was only because a portion of it was decarbed already which may have happened in the process used or may have happened because the weed was already old and naturally partially decarbed.

I've never heard of not decarbing any cannaibs product being anything other than a waste of a good portion of it.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Thank you D145. After that guy started posting all that bull, I stepped out of the thread. But, you're right. His misinformation could, very well, be a problem for a newbie.

So, anyone reading... please decarb your pot before using it for edibles. And, pretty much disregard his other posts.

As for the OP asking me how much lecithin I use... generally as much as I can without having it affect taste. When I make caps, I use and equal amount of rosin, lecithin and oil (with some myrcene).

Thanks

Here is a decent read on lecithin https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-lecithin-in-cannabis-edibles-why-you-need-it-n655

Appreciate the links, I will dig in, thank you!

Digging in is what it’s all about.

Ringodoggie thanks for the recipe... what kind of caps do you use? What type of lecithin?

de145 ya making extracts definitely makes the word of a difference when the starting material is cured.

Latest posts

Latest posts