What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to prune for vertical?

Oceanicnomad

I feel like I've read all I could find on the subject. I know all about topping/fim/lollipoping. But I still don't know how to trim for big colas in vert. Some strains like my MK seem to do it naturally, others like my Rockstar bush out an insane amount by the time they are 4ft that there's branches everywhere and lots of small buds. I have stripped the entire backside/bottom 3rd, taken first few nodes of each branch. However I'm not sure I yet understand exactly how to prune branches and suckers before the flip. Part of the problem is definitely my veg room and more stem than bud sites.

Could someone please point me towards a tutorial, diagram, YouTube video on exactly what to take? I read in order to grow single cola plants they trim every lateral branch up to the top 2-3 nodes. Is this what I should be aiming for? I'm tired of the small buds and crazy work come trim time. A big part of my original problem was the plants were just too big.
I run beds spaced 2ft apart with barebulbs in between. Wish I had heard of the stadium before I built everything..

Attachments

• 20180218_182749.jpg
    20180218_182749.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20180419-142649.jpg
    Screenshot_20180419-142649.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20180419_142906.jpg
    20180419_142906.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 56

gr866

Veteran
I do a trim about two weeks prior two flip, fans with a 1", lolly pop to eliminate popcorn buds.
They will recover by time to flip. I then do a heavy defo at day 21 of flower.
Prior to defo Day 21 of 12/12

After defo

Approx 10 days from harvest same plant. Only trimming I did after day 21 was to remove any fans that may be blocking bud sites.

This was a 5 plant of which I harvested 4 plants, one went straight to making FECO. Got 24.5 zips of smokable buds from this grow.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
If you want big colas cut all the larf branches off, you should have 3-5 main branches with no pop corn

I do a similar thing to gr866 but cut all the crap low stuff off, 3 bud sites and the tip of each branch are all that left ...

gr866

Veteran
If you want big colas cut all the larf branches off, you should have 3-5 main branches with no pop corn

I do a similar thing to gr866 but cut all the crap low stuff off, 3 bud sites and the tip of each branch are all that left ...

That is for my vertical runs, I am doing a Monster Crop now, was 33 days into flower when I took this clone from her.
She has so many branches coming off the main stem I have cut a few but now mainly concentrating on each branch, removing larf, leaf and the such.
I will be flowering her in a week or so, but tomorrow I do a major defo then let her regenerate before I flip.

Here she was after regeneration.

Barneys Farm LSD Pics taken on 4/19
The screen is 36x36, in a 10 gallon smart pot

Keeping her low grow.

Will take a some pics when I defo her this next week, and then at day 21 of 12/12.

GR