What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Your Fave 1970s Landrace & Why?

ahortator

Veteran
Hi. I was only almost 3 years old when the 70's ended. Also here in Europe at least in my times we get no landraces, only Maroccan soap bar that didn't get you high nor stoned, with no psychoactivity at all.

But some years ago I was lucky enough to grow a strain from Indonesia. The plants were muntats, highly mildew prone, completely hermie, no males, most seeds refused to sprout, and the buds once cleaned of seeds looked like grayish brown fluffy crap with no visible resin when dry. Exactly like these:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...aw1Fdy37HGnDbGR327owWYyN&ust=1514292302195772

I have smoked modern suposseldly superpowerful improved indica/sativa hybrids full covered with resin drops and with more than 20% THC. But the Indonesian sativa high was incredibly stronger, happier, more enjoyable and trippy intergalactical-interdimensional-telepathical, many trillion light-years far better than the modern hybrid stuff with beautiful bag appeal.

So when I see people making fun of the old heirlooms appearance, I make fun of their ignorance and arrogance. Also I feel sad because the old sativa (now known as NLD) heirlooms are disappeared most of them.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-17%20at%2010_17_53%20AM.png

Last edited:

Ozone

Lumbo gold, as we called it was always available, but many other strains came thru our part of the country, ( Iowa 70's -80's), columbian- red , brown, and the many golds , panama red , thai stick , acapulco gold, mishequan, jamacian, vietnameise black, kona gold . mexican, and im sure many others, all were fantastic and missed dearly, and i have that same copy of high times still in great shape
:dance013:

I never knew strain names until the 2000s, but it never fails, I've always gotten way higher off some ugly ass weed than this frosty looking shit.. I've actually reversed my hunt for frosty strains. I'm finding it to be the shittiest smoke over and over again. Too many times to be coincidence. And I've seen too much frosty hemp to think twice about it at this point.

You cant hallucinate off domestic weed. I hallucinate ALOT off imports. Potency and strength are 2 different animals. Today's weed is potent but its not strong at all.

I forgot to add why. Indo is a big part of it. The cmh doesn't work provide the spectrum.. I'm going to add the shut out of some flouro uv and see what happens. Fuck no-grow laws. And they are trying to legalize hemp so double fuck.

grayeyes

Old fart here. The best undoubtedly was Michoacan. Made thai seem like kiddie pot. There might be some farmers who saved seeds from paraquat.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hi. I was only almost 3 years old when the 70's ended. Also here in Europe at least in my times we get no landraces, only Maroccan soap bar that didn't get you high nor stoned, with no psychoactivity at all.

But some years ago I was lucky enough to grow a strain from Indonesia. The plants were muntats, highly mildew prone, completely hermie, no males, most seeds refused to sprout, and the buds once cleaned of seeds looked like grayish brown fluffy crap with no visible resin when dry. Exactly like these:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...aw1Fdy37HGnDbGR327owWYyN&ust=1514292302195772

I have smoked modern suposseldly superpowerful improved indica/sativa hybrids full covered with resin drops and with more than 20% THC. But the Indonesian sativa high was incredibly stronger, happier, more enjoyable and trippy intergalactical-interdimensional-telepathical, many trillion light-years far better than the modern hybrid stuff with beautiful bag appeal.

So when I see people making fun of the old heirlooms appearance, I make fun of their ignorance and arrogance. Also I feel sad because the old sativa (now known as NLD) heirlooms are disappeared most of them.

View Image
its a shame many refer to pics from high times to imagine what the pot used to look like ,
they seem to have rounded up the very worst samples for their pictures , the pot looked miles better than those pictures ..

todays erb doesnt do to your head what yesterdays stuff used to do , it was mighty powerful weed ,
i never trip from modern stuff , i just get stoned ...

ahortator

Veteran
Yes. It is a shame but it is difficult to find pics of old Mexican landraces. Specially Acapulco Gold in its heyday.

However I would preffer those bad looking buds than all those new Kush hybrids.

Modern stuff is for people who want to feel stupid and sluggish. They must try opioids or booze instead weed :laughing:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I'm pretty sure that everyone's favorite landrace or heirloom cannabis variety is highly dependent on where they were during that time in history. I happen to know, for instance, that people in Florida in the 70s-80s rarely ever came across any thai stick in any real commercial volumes out there in the black market, and I'm guessing North California probably rarely ever got any good lowland mexican or guatemalan. In Florida, panamanian and columbian were all over the place, while in California there was a bunch of highland sativas from colder climates. The point is, if you ask someone who was in Florida during the time, they'll tell you about that special, every-once-in-a-while batch of really fruity, sticky mexican... or that Lumbo that the fishermen had to go out into international waters to purchase. But if you ask someone who was in California at that time, they'll probably talk about some Thai stick, or maybe some Hawaiian, or Santa Marta Gold.

I was in diapers when the 70s turned into the 80s, so I don't know from firsthand experience, but I know a lot of old school stoners, some of whom got locked up during the old "Square Grouper" days, and the only ones I know of who have tried thai stick are the ones who spent time in Thailand. They sure love talking about that Lumbo and that Guatemalan, though.

Limeygreen

Veteran
I don't know some things like deep chunk hybrids or some affies do my head in, groggy like I took sleeping pills the day before kind of groggy the next day. Agreed on most modern hybrids though I try them then give them away, just can't bring myself to try them anymore.

Yes. It is a shame but it is difficult to find pics of old Mexican landraces. Specially Acapulco Gold in its heyday.

However I would preffer those bad looking buds than all those new Kush hybrids.

Modern stuff is for people who want to feel stupid and sluggish. They must try opioids or booze instead weed :laughing:

'Boogieman'

I started smoking mexi brick in the late 90's. I got these highs you guys talk about. Some brick made me laugh uncontrollably to the point my stomach hurt. Some brick made me highly paranoid for hours and your head was soaring. Some brick made me extremely happy, like everything was bright and sunny. I got indica highs too from brick but it was usually sativa. I remember trying to grow mexi brick huge plants with thin leaves and buds that were just really long foxtails never seen a similar plant from seeds I bought.

Lolo94

I've also experienced much better highs from buds that weren't visually apealing in the modern sense than from those with the frosted flake/powdery sugar look. One of the frosty buds that was pretty good though (in the sativa sense) was Hawaiian outdoor grown White Widow. I also remember mid 80s early 90s Hawaiian Hash plants not being nearly as dopey and dull as modern indicas. The effect was more of a strong head and body high but not so narcotic. Some of the best sativa highs I've gotten have been from plants producing a more shiny golden resin. These buds also had a long shelf. In many cases 5+ years with no noticable decrease in potency when vaccuum sealed.

I don't agree that psychedelic highs can't be achieved domestically. Some of the sativas grown in Hawaii can definitely produce those types of highs. The trick is knowing the right people that are willing to share. Especially now that they can be put out in the open with a medical card. Im sure the same can be achieved in Florida.

One of the most psychedelic, trippy, laughing high i ever had was in far nortwestern Thailand in the late 90s. I smoked some weed with some of the elder male hilltribes people that came out of a corncob and looked like a pressed cliffbar. They offered after we got done eating and just before bed. Initially i didnt think much of it but once it finally kicked in i spent virtually all night unable to sleep, alternating between laughing fits and silence, imagining that i was arguing with the snorting pigs. that lived below the hut. It was on par with some of the best mushrooms id ever taken. Needless to say, the 2 other trekkers who were sleeping in the same area and never partaked were pretty pissed with me for ruining their sleep.

Not sure but i have a feeling the higher altitude and environment may have enhanced rhe effects.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
Years before I ever started growing. The nostalgia of (Oaxaca, Lebanese and Nepalese) filled my mind with wonderment. I spent a decade learning the kraft of growing. (Still learning) Mostly indoors to start. A few years ago I bought my first greenhouse. It's changed my perception of cannabis. While I had more frosty plants inside. The overall quality is unmatched in the greenhouse. This season I will be running many Auto's. I have a few bags reserved for my nostalgic friends.
The Oaxaca, Lebanese and Nepalese will receive the benefit of my improved environment to grow in. When my patients feel better from the great CBD genetics. I can spin their fun meters with nostalgic grins.
Peace. MedDakotabis

Gry

Feel blessed to have such memories.

Would dearly love to be able experience
the sandalwood of Colombian again.

grayeyes

Does anyone know of someone who has real late '60's early '70's michoacan seeds? I know most of it was destroyed by Milhouse's paraquat but some must exist somewhere.

Having read the descriptions of the 3 or 4 hybrid michoacan I am not interested in those.

I am looking for the 'real deal'.

Anyone got a clue?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ I have Snowhigh's Michoacan x Guerrero which I feel is genuine. I had pot like this in '75. Not sure if your Michoacan is the same as the one I had though. Back then it was just pot no names for my stuff in general. Trippy enough but no seeing things with it or something like that.

I did have a Mexican with no name that was so trippy as to be better than acid for me anyways. First half hour of the buzz. Also '75.

Michoacan is a state in Mexico and I think at that time had several different lines being grown for export.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Wish I could of been around to experience the great sativas in the day... I really wanna try some great columbians, and Mexicans...

J-Icky

Sadly I wasn’t even alive yet to experience the old sativa. The closest thing I’ve had was this bright green brick weed me and my friends were fortunate enough to get a pound of in the spring of 96. It wasn’t nearly as tightly bricked as most stuff and we were able to peel away 8-12in branches with buds ever 1/2 to 1 inch. It was clearly sativa dominant if not pure sativa.
Anyway the stuff was awesome. Smoke a joint with 4 people and we’d all be laughing uncontrollably. Everything was hilarious and all we could do was think and talk about things that just made us want to keep laughing. Your face would be hurting from smiling and laughing before the joint was even finished. It was also very stimulating, both mentally and physically. You were creative and wanted to get up and move and do things. After going througha couple ounces the first week we tried to score as much as we could but the guy we got that from claimed to have that same stuff but only had the regular brownish/green brick. So we tried a few other connects and no one had anything close so we decided that was just gonna be our weekend stash.
That was an amazing summer full of many memorable weekends full of fun and laughter.

Sadly I wasn’t able to grow at the time so no seeds were saved and I still wish I had at least thought to stash some seeds away as I know I’d eventually grow my own once I could. Would love to find that strain but I have very little to go on to even begin finding it. Being light, bright green and mostly sativa really narrows it down lol. Oh and a noticeable lack of “hairs” which was also odd to us since we could always see hairs in the crappy brick stuff.

Last edited:

ahortator

Veteran
Does anyone know of someone who has real late '60's early '70's michoacan seeds? I know most of it was destroyed by Milhouse's paraquat but some must exist somewhere.

Having read the descriptions of the 3 or 4 hybrid michoacan I am not interested in those.

I am looking for the 'real deal'.

Anyone got a clue?

If paraquat was terrible, the introduction of Afghan Kush hybrids in those areas has been even worse.

merc500

you would never forget the landrace Jamaican back in 70' 71'. todays weed may be more potent but it's still no contest on which you would lite up if you had the chance

kookied

all of them, never really knew what you really got this that first joint, and the smell, that dirt and spice smell. So hard to find any more

Latest posts

Latest posts