What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CANNABIS DNA PROJECT

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
For example an idea by exploring South African strains like Swazi, Mozambique, La Réunion, or Madagascar i think that a relationship could be find with South Asian strains (protohistoric Austronesian vibe). So if they are really related it is a scoop! Cannabis in Africa would also spread from the South and not only from the North as our history books can assert. ;)

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Get you post count up past 50 and PM me....
-SamS

Namaste Sam,

I have some landrace genetics from Syria, North Korea, Lebanon, Argentina, Belize and multiple Afghan cultivars if you are interested in those. I can spare a few seeds of each and would be happy to send them onto you for the project!

-Regards moogman

SativaScience

You don't think you are jumping the shark by having this research done in the US? I also don't understand the prevention of an open discussion on the subject, the posts I saw deleted weren't off subject. Just a part of the discussion you apparently don't want to have, for some reason. If there is nothing to hide or to be worried about than why the deleted posts. The landraces you seek are around, but this attitude of shut up don't ask any questions just send me your seeds is the wrong approach. The kind of people who have spent years collecting and preserving landraces are very passionate about what we do.As well as not trusting of others intentions. Not likely to respond to the approach you have employed. So when an open discussion on the entire scope of the project and its possible ramifications/benefits is available let me know. Perhaps then the lines you seek will be made available to you. Good luck either way.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I want them PM me when you can.
-SamS

I can't pm yet but have some Lebanese. They tested about 10% last year but I won't use them again since they hermied and fouled my and my neighbor's 2007 garden. Just couldn't throw them away, tho did feed the 5# or so off my garden to the quail.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Why shouldn't the work be done in the USA? Can you list a single good reason?
This is the second go around for this project post the first one was put in the recycle-bin by moderators because of GMO posts by several posters that just refused to stop. We are not involved with GMO in any way.
Some posts in this second thread were deleted by moderators that felt they were way off subject, I deleted one from a banned poster because it was more of the same from him.
I am happy to discuss this project with anyone that wants to help, if their goal is to prevent the project or to mix it up with GMO work then I will moderate the thread and remove any post that is just bull. I have no problems with most posters as they have real questions I try and answer if I can. Have you read all the posts? Where are all the deleted posts you mention?
PM me your questions on the entire scope of the project, and what you believe its possible ramifications/benefits are and I will try and answer. Did you read the FAQ in the first post in this thread?
People have sent in hundreds of samples so far, one or two posters were just wanting to sink the boat as they had fears about various issues that were not real issues as we are not doing what they feared. Mostly GMO crap that we have nothing to do with.
I will discuss any issue related to the work and project, just ask me. Now maybe you can PM me the questions? I have never asked anyone to shut up, unless they were saying crazy off the wall crap about the project that was not true at all and kept it up after being asked to stop.
People can send in dead seeds and we can use them. What can we do with a dead seed that could hurt anyone? We can't grow them, we can sequence the DNA. I thought it was great that we could find a use for them. I hope we will discover relationships in Cannabis that were unknown, as well as discover the evolutionary past of Cannabis when we complete our Cannabis family tree. I am pretty sure we will discover a lot of new information about Cannabis. We will share the data.....

PS did you know that all "Sativa's" are hemp? All drug varieties are Indica's, either NLD or WLD, Narrow Leaf Drug, or Wide Leaf Drug. I assume you know this and are interested in SativaScience, and are interested in or studying HEMP, either NLH or WLH? They are both Sativas...
Just fucking with ya....
-SamS

You don't think you are jumping the shark by having this research done in the US? I also don't understand the prevention of an open discussion on the subject, the posts I saw deleted weren't off subject. Just a part of the discussion you apparently don't want to have, for some reason. If there is nothing to hide or to be worried about than why the deleted posts. The landraces you seek are around, but this attitude of shut up don't ask any questions just send me your seeds is the wrong approach. The kind of people who have spent years collecting and preserving landraces are very passionate about what we do.As well as not trusting of others intentions. Not likely to respond to the approach you have employed. So when an open discussion on the entire scope of the project and its possible ramifications/benefits is available let me know. Perhaps then the lines you seek will be made available to you. Good luck either way.

Last edited:

SativaScience

I believe the current lenient political climate could shift on a dime for one. Not to mention the dea stormtroopers who operate under whatever rules they make up as they go along. Time will tell.
First I want to make clear that I believe that your intentions are exactly as you have stated, I don't doubt that at all. If you and rob had complete control over this project and the resulting DNA library that is being amassed, I would have already contributed. What is to stop those in control of said library from selling to the highest bidder somewhere down the road? The evolutionary tree project is fascinating work that will yield some very interesting results, I am sure. At this moment I am still on the fence about contributing. I will continue to smoke it over.

PS. Yes I am aware of the attempted terminology change, noticed that when I came back online last year. However I have been using the original nomenclature for so long I doubt it will ever take with me. As I look around it doesn't seem to be taking hold with many others either. Besides NLDScience just doesn't have the same ring to it.:laughing: Time for my morning Acapulco hemp joint. :biggrin: take care

kokomarin

I need to count 50 posts or you can left some e-mail on my profile page,
english is not my pride,
I was sailor on the ship till war in my area.91
thank you,Sam,for notice me:)

sam the skunkman is no shifty fuck you have know idea what sam has contributed to cannabis you should do a little research malarkey you sr are a fuckwit obviously id share anything with sam maybe get lucky enough to try some of his sift in adam

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I believe the current lenient political climate could shift on a dime for one. Not to mention the dea stormtroopers who operate under whatever rules they make up as they go along. Time will tell.
First I want to make clear that I believe that your intentions are exactly as you have stated, I don't doubt that at all. If you and rob had complete control over this project and the resulting DNA library that is being amassed, I would have already contributed. What is to stop those in control of said library from selling to the highest bidder somewhere down the road?

There is no DNA library being amassed all that is being amassed is the info from the DNA and that is being publicly shared, read the project FAQ. Your fears are for nothing. I have not sent one live seed to Phylos, I can't legally so I was sending dead seeds, now I can have live seeds DNA extracted here in the Netherlands and just post the legal extracted DNA to Phylos for sequencing. That does not allow Phylos to make a copy of the DNA that can be grown, do you understand that? All they get is the DNA to sequence the info in it. Phylos will not grow the seeds, they can
-SamS
't.

The evolutionary tree project is fascinating work that will yield some very interesting results, I am sure. At this moment I am still on the fence about contributing. I will continue to smoke it over.

Have another smoke and chill, any questions just ask me, I hope you do contribute..
-SamS

PS. Yes I am aware of the attempted terminology change, noticed that when I came back online last year. However I have been using the original nomenclature for so long I doubt it will ever take with me. As I look around it doesn't seem to be taking hold with many others either. Besides NLDScience just doesn't have the same ring to it.:laughing: Time for my morning Acapulco hemp joint. :biggrin: take care

I also used Sativa and Indica for all my life, but they are not right at all. WLD, WLH, NLD, NLH, are so much better and will be used by science in the future, get over it, it is not an attempted change it is changed. If we could add a sub set of data to the NLD etc that included Cannabinoids, terpenes, and maturation times we could really use the data. We used to think that THC was created from CBD in the plant, now we know it is not, it is created from CBG, a few uneducated people still think the old way, is it better? NO WAY it is not correct at all..
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Do you have landraces collected on your trips?
I am interested for sure.
-SamS

I need to count 50 posts or you can left some e-mail on my profile page,
english is not my pride,
I was sailor on the ship till war in my area.91
thank you,Sam,for notice me:)

Malarkey

I'm saying it's not legal to have seeds in America unless you have exemptions from the government (most will get siezed if sent in the post to you and the seeds will be lost for your DNA project) as your project is in a public domain you might get complications from the law and its not under the radar so to speak.

S

sourpuss

Sam do you mind sharing some of the landrace strains u have received?? Would love to know where these strains still exist and any info background you have...

Sharing as in telling us what has been sent in....

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I'm saying it's not legal to have seeds in America unless you have exemptions from the government (most will get siezed if sent in the post to you and the seeds will be lost for your DNA project) as your project is in a public domain you might get complications from the law and its not under the radar so to speak.

Not true at all, only live Cannabis seeds are illegal in the USA, check your laws. Non-viable Cannabis seeds are 100% legal to post to the USA and have in the USA, that is what some bird food is made from sterilized, un-viable Cannabis seeds available at almost every pet store in the USA.
And for the DNA work that is all you need.
Anyway I don't need to send anything anymore to the USA, we have a University here in the Netherlands extracting the DNA from seeds live or dead, or from leaves live or dead, and the university is sending the extracted DNA to the USA, sending DNA is also 100% legal to post, check your USA laws.
You should find the truth before you speak up and put your foot in your mouth....
-SamS

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I can make a list and post it but I will not want to reveal the donators ID's without their permissions.
-SamS

Sam do you mind sharing some of the landrace strains u have received?? Would love to know where these strains still exist and any info background you have...

Sharing as in telling us what has been sent in....

Last edited: