What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sinai landrace

misterD

misterD farmhouse
Veteran
Nice grows misterD and thejact55! Looking good! How would you describe the smells of the indicated phenos?

Thanks, then what a good question ... How was her smell, uhmm!

Low and discret, well with some terps we can only find in this area of the world honestly.

:tiphat:

acespicoli

Quote RSC:
Indica pheno: "Amazing. It tasted like grapefruit and once it became purple due to the cold it also had a slight chocolate taste to it. The effect was very good. Tranquilizing. It didn't push me into the couch too far."

Both plants have a very unique perfumed aroma, with the indica types giving off a more rank and pungent smell during vegetative growth.

(I wonder how many of the dark chocolate indica's you get per pack?)

Land

Eqyptian Sinai Seed Reproduction

Eqyptian Sinai Seed Reproduction

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Egyptian Sinai from TRSC, grown in New England outdoors. The best pheno's had a gassy/green big league chew/dates aroma that was on the sative end of the phenos that foxtailed and also had the best resistance to mold. Some smelled woody/toffee and were more indica and the buds were much more leafy. Descent resin production. Unique mellow sativa high. All plants showed good branching and they finished super early, even with seeds they were done by September 2.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Uncured dried product had a nice bubblegum flavor and mild sativa effect.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cheers![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

therevverend

Veteran
It's February and my Sinai is dry and cured, as good as it's going to get.

It smells like something from the spice cabinet. It's close to dried not fresh dill, I'm out of celery seed so I can't compare but I think it's close to that too. Dried herbs.

I smoked a full joint it's definitely not potent but it has an effect. Made my belly feel a big giddy, increased the space in my head. If you didn't know you were high you might not notice it, you'd think you were in an odd mood. The initial high goes away rapidly after about 15 minutes. Hours later I stayed up late, writing flow of word type poetry and a dream imagery type story.

picture.php

picture.php

therevverend

Veteran
Sorry readers, for some reason it wasn't posting the new pics but I messed around and got them to work. I've got pictures of the plants in the Real Seed Company thread but I'll post them here because it's nice to have a diary of a grow, plants from start to finish.

Baby Sinai

picture.php

Throughout their lives they grew slowly and were behind most of my other non-landrace plants. Part of it was because they're landrace of course but I've noticed certain other hashplants have a similar slow rate of growth. Purple Urkle, Lebanese strains, Moroccan strain, Deep Chunk, and other short stocky type strains don't have the explosive growth that cannabis is famous for. I believe this is an adaptation to dry climates.

Narrow leaf tropical strains, large bushy and tall upright Indica and hybrid cultivars, all have that vigorous growth even the landraces. So does European hemp. They all share one thing in common. A need for lots and lots of water regardless of their nutrient needs. This is an observation, not a scientific study, but these short stocky types are probably adapted to drought conditions.

picture.php

Here she is in late July enjoying the sun. She's already flowering long before the other plants started. In fact some of my hybrids hadn't sexed at this point. She already has bud clusters.

picture.php

This is mid September you can see how much she changed in two months. She'd gained the color in the previous week. Starting to show her fall colors with purplish hue. This was not a response to cold temperatures it was still quite warm, mid to upper 70s F.

She's also in a bigger pot. Originally my thinking was that as a landrace she wouldn't need much nutrients. This was true during her vegetative growth, she didn't need it. Around late July when I took the previous picture I realized she was rootbound and getting hungry. When I transplanted her it was obvious her roots were cramped. I transplanted her into a plant mix with a medium amount of nutrients. Then I gave her molasses along with a high P-K low N bloom mix.

I fed her every week or two until the start of September then water. Responded well to the molasses. After harvest I noticed the larger pot had become cramped with roots she could probably have used even more space. Next time I'd use larger pots or put her directly in the ground.

picture.php

picture.php

And here's a look during the last week of September, maybe 12 days before harvest. The white clusters of pistils made lovely white star shapes.

Along with the slow rate of growth she also flowered slowly, a month longer then the other plants. The males auto flowered in early June so by early August there was no pollen to make true Sinai seeds with. I wonder if at her native latitude this would be corrected, otherwise how would it reproduce. I did cross it with a Lemon Hashplant.

When she began flowering in July I thought she was a photo-sensitive near hashplant. She's wasn't, came down along with the other plants during main harvest in October. That's 11-13 weeks of flowering.

Around October 1st the summer suddenly ended. The temperature dropped, clouds rolled in from the Pacific, and the sun became a stranger. It rained every couple days and there was fog and clouds that didn't allow her to dry off. She didn't like the rain, susceptible to mold but her narrow leaf foxtail bud structure limited the damage. I would have liked to take her longer but by Oct 7 she had to come down.

Yield wasn't impressive, approximately 160 grams. It was deceptive looked like more but the flowers were very light and airy. She might have done more with a bigger root space.

Of course there is not much commercial production value in this strain it's value lies in it's uniqueness, the possibility of adding valuable genetics to other lines, and it was a beautiful ornamental type plant. that was interesting to look at.

The smell, flavor, and mild high makes me interested in her culinary potential. I'm thinking it would be very nice with beans, lentils, potatoes, or chicken for instance in a stew or gravy. It would be very nice rubbed on or inside a turkey to be roasted. The flavor would go well with lemon and butter on a roast salmon. It would be a worthy substitute for thyme, dill, tarragon, or celery seeds. Not so good with basil or pesto.

I'd say from the effects and reports I've heard it probably has a decent amount of CBD. Feeding it to a medical patient who wouldn't usually eat food spiked with cannabis is a thought.

The other obvious application is hashish making. Hopefully I'll get around to using the majority this way, then use the rest for food and joints.

(edit) I just noticed something kinda cool. Look at the very first dried bud in the last post. There's a leaf that's damaged, probably by thrips, about halfway down the bud. Then look at the last picture there's very similar damage about halfway down the bud. It would have had to grow a little more but it's possible it could be the same bud! In fact I'm pretty sure it is because I remember noticing it several times..

thanks for your extensive report, it interests me enough to explore the line myself
hopefully on large enough numbers and with refinement its value can be improved

meizzwang

anyone find potent individuals from Sinai? I'm surprised by the number of reports on mellow and/or low potency. The listing for the strain mentions a standout plant tested at 16% THC and 1.5% cbd. Is this the exception to the rule, or does it show up in most 12 packs?

How about quality of effect? Is the high very comfortable, or is there any raciness to it? Unique and inspiring, or nothing to write home about?

I struck out on Lebanese in both potency and quality of effects (although a few others reported decent quality individuals), just want to hear opinions on whether it's worth the space and time to grow out a small batch of Sinai. With some of these untainted, direct from the source landrace strains, some are loaded with high quality individuals (ie. manipuri) while others require growing out a significant number of plants before you find a single gem.

therevverend

Veteran
To be honest it's very similar to Lebanese. I've also heard of high potency individuals but that involves strain hunting, probably best using large numbers. It was worth it for me because the plants were a small investment, basically like growing a few more tomato plants in my garden.

Absolutely no raciness this isn't that type of strain. I didn't test it but mine probably had CBD effects. Felt a mild body high and the head high was very short. High is the wrong word it didn't get me high or buzzed. Just a floating sensation, relaxing of joints, very simple what I think of as 'primitive' high. I smoked an entire joint to myself, or at least most of it so I could really feel it. The body effects lasted much longer then the 15 minute head effect. Probably the least potent ganja I've smoked in years, maybe ever, besides males. At least since I was a kid bumming around trying to get high. Males or leaf is actually what I'd compare it to. If you had a high tolerance you might think it's bunk.

Mezziwang my thinking is that it may not be for you. I don't want people to think I'm putting it down or telling people not to grow it, for me it was well worth it and I'll certainly grow my seeds in the next couple years. The high is unique because I'm not used to feeling effects that subtle. My plan is to make hashish and see where that gets me. No one, well, no one in Lebanon smokes Leb strains as bud it's got to be concentrated to have a stronger effect. After I do I'll try to make time to take some pics and give another smoke report. Maybe I'll make it a project for the next few days if I have time.