What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hand rubbing Charas

NotYourSaviour

@Himalayan_Ganja

Welcome to the forum! Have simiar thoughts about that type of resin, cheers. Though I prefer high grade Moroccan as not so weak as Charas(tried a lot, really.) and stuff but indulge every now and then as we used to have great longterm connections from locals
even though never been on site.
Have to admit that those handrubbed if done correctly provide indeed a special type of euphoria which isn't overly strong as mentioned but a tad different to the sieved ones.
Each to their own of course, enjoy!

Two latest batches, High Grade Indian Charas as posted before:

wow NYS thats so nice to see that charas! NOSTALGIA!!!! may i ask if you are not in india right now then how did you get that? if its too personal of a matter to discussi understand; i used to bring my personal stash back with me back in the days when i wa courageouse

H

HaHaHashish

because dry sift comes from dead plants and charas come from LIVE plants. this is the main key point about charas. LIVE plants produce another high its asd simple as that. maybe there is still no scientific proof of why live plant resin is so awesome, but millions of consumers worldwide know that hand rubbed anything will always be a special treat

Charas might come from living plants and dry sift comes from dried plant material but that in itself hardly what makes one better than the other does it? I think everyone can agree that it's all about the effects and with all things being relatively equal, I'd prefer making dry sifted resin and getting high from it.

Not that the following was specifically mentioned in this thread but I just don't get that Buddhist/Indian concept about kill = bad and not killing = good when it comes to ganja and that the living versus dead thing is a poor argument on basing which is the best method. The fact is both methods can produces outstanding results based on starting material, timing and technique, it's basically all about what works for you and which one rings your bell. By the way, I've had some excellent charas but have produced dry sift that was just as memorable as the best charas. (as anyone knows who grows and smokes dry sifted hash from long flowering strains and has smoked ganja and hash from all over the world for 45+ years)

If you hand rubbed one side of ten plants at 3000+ meters and then removed the other untouched half of the ten plants when mature and dried them indoors for several months in cool, dark, dry conditions undisturbed for several months and sifted them and then several months later compared the two methods by smoking both of them would be a good comparison. but it's not really a fair comparison with commercially produced Maroc with good quality small scale hand rubbed Himalayan.

Handrubbing ruptures the protective outer layer of the trichomes, smears the oily resin and exposes it to oxygen while dry sifted trichomes are not ruptured until pressing or smoking. one is processed and the other method is less so and is in a natural, untouched state...so if pure, unadulterated essences are your aim then very clean dry sift is where it's at. But it's all about what you prefer doing and smoking. It's mostly due to climatic conditions (humidity etc) on why plants are dry sifted or hand rubbed. Charas is good for places where there's lots of wild ganja while dry sift is better for farming/production, as I mentioned above, both methods (with all thing being equal) can produce fantastic results. By the way, you can hand rub dried bud that is compressed which is something you can't do efficiently with dry sift.

Last edited:
hello there hashish,

actually ive never heard that charas is better because the plant doent die and there is no bad karma, its simply that the effect from the dry sift is different then the effect of hand rubbed because the fresh resin in charas has a different molecular make up. as the resin dries o,n the buds it changes a little.

I to agree that high grade sifted hash is WAY cleaner then charas, even the best charas has plenty of plant fiber in it not to mention all kinds of foreign matter, put there by the guy rubing, anythng he touches while rubbing will leave little fibers on his hands. charas always has little colorful fibers from the winter clothinng the makers are waring.

EsterEssence

Veteran
When I saw them make charas, they let the plants freeze and die in the ground, then they would rub the charas. The best guy could get around 30gm a day, if the shook the plants to make sift they could make a few kilos a day, so not to many people were still into rubbing the charas...

H

HaHaHashish

one is processed and the other method is less so and is in a natural, untouched state

If charas is grape juice then dry sift is a raisin.

picture.php

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice chunk. I never save enough to last more than a few spliffs while trimming.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
because dry sift comes from dead plants and charas come from LIVE plants. this is the main key point about charas. LIVE plants produce another high its asd simple as that. maybe there is still no scientific proof of why live plant resin is so awesome, but millions of consumers worldwide know that hand rubbed anything will always be a special treat

Charas might come from living plants and dry sift comes from dried plant material but that in itself hardly what makes one better than the other does it? I think everyone can agree that it's all about the effects and with all things being relatively equal, I'd prefer making dry sifted resin and getting high from it.

Not that the following was specifically mentioned in this thread but I just don't get that Buddhist/Indian concept about kill = bad and not killing = good when it comes to ganja and that the living versus dead thing is a poor argument on basing which is the best method. The fact is both methods can produces outstanding results based on starting material, timing and technique, it's basically all about what works for you and which one rings your bell. By the way, I've had some excellent charas but have produced dry sift that was just as memorable as the best charas. (as anyone knows who grows and smokes dry sifted hash from long flowering strains and has smoked ganja and hash from all over the world for 45+ years)

If you hand rubbed one side of ten plants at 3000+ meters and then removed the other untouched half of the ten plants when mature and dried them indoors for several months in cool, dark, dry conditions undisturbed for several months and sifted them and then several months later compared the two methods by smoking both of them would be a good comparison. but it's not really a fair comparison with commercially produced Maroc with good quality small scale hand rubbed Himalayan.

Handrubbing ruptures the protective outer layer of the trichomes, smears the oily resin and exposes it to oxygen while dry sifted trichomes are not ruptured until pressing or smoking. one is processed and the other method is less so and is in a natural, untouched state...so if pure, unadulterated essences are your aim then very clean dry sift is where it's at. But it's all about what you prefer doing and smoking. It's mostly due to climatic conditions (humidity etc) on why plants are dry sifted or hand rubbed. Charas is good for places where there's lots of wild ganja while dry sift is better for farming/production, as I mentioned above, both methods (with all thing being equal) can produce fantastic results. By the way, you can hand rub dried bud that is compressed which is something you can't do efficiently with dry sift.

G day Hx3

Good dry sift should be higher potency .
Hand rubbing adds water , leaf ,skin and dirt to the hash .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

@Himalayan_Ganja

Welcome to the forum! Have simiar thoughts about that type of resin, cheers. Though I prefer high grade Moroccan as not so weak as Charas(tried a lot, really.) and stuff but indulge every now and then as we used to have great longterm connections from locals
even though never been on site.
Have to admit that those handrubbed if done correctly provide indeed a special type of euphoria which isn't overly strong as mentioned but a tad different to the sieved ones.
Each to their own of course, enjoy!

Two latest batches, High Grade Indian Charas as posted before:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=66603&pictureid=1745322&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=66603&pictureid=1689024&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

hello there, i just thought os another thing that makes charas different. the fact that alot of charas is made from supposedly sativa dominant plants. i used to think that the plants in himachal were definatey indiacas since here for making hash and they row way up at like 2000 meters altitude, but recently i have come to find out that in theory the pants in the himalayas are mostly sativa dom.

and maroccan plants are indica right? so thus a big difference in effect.

as many eople above have said, good dry sift is definately more pur and free of contaminants; i woudlnt dare try contradict that. its just that the live plant resin has a 'different' buzz thats all, and the buzz is not stronger then dry sift, but simly different

i am curiouse to know are there alot of people in europe and america that have acces to charas these days. i dont mingle too much with other smokers here where i am so i dont know whats up these days.

if anyone reading this has had some charas from india or nepal recently i would love to hear your thoughts on it or even better see a pic

about ten years ago i was realy plugged into the scene in himachal, i had lots of european freinds that i had made while up in kasol. and the italians seemed to be the most devoted to charas then any other nationality, well the isrealis as well

darn those were good days. thus is life eh luckily we can keep memories atleast. this thread always spark nostalgia in me