What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SWC Tub's

G

Guest 114956

All is looking great singularity, and scrogger yeah i agree i was thinking about r-swc myself and the only thing i was worried about in this design was wether there was enuff room for root growth apart from that i love the overall design, i hope singularity pulls it off!

Scrogerman

Veteran
I hope he pulls it off too ijdc, & im sure he will. Im just not convinced canna likes warmer solution temps though myself, with the little i know about DO & hydro/water-culture growing in general, canna cycles nutes faster with high/er DO levels, of course they dont like too cold or too warm as per sol temps. if i feel warm solution to the touch, which 84f is, id be doing my best to get the temps down to at least mid to low 70's, without any protection from H2o2, bleach or the like, & as roots swamp the res, sol movement & DO is gonna decrease posing potential problems in the rootzone, anerobic pathogens thrive in low DO, warm conditions(esp mid 80'sF). This would be my biggest concern.
Id run a similar SWC system myself but id make it recirc, add a chiller & prolly run a dead res using h2o2 or bleach myself regardless of sol temps.
Theres no denying Singularity's plants look great & i hope he aces a bumper harvest. G'Luck bro!

petemoss

singularity, your plants look great! When I saw your original post, I wanted to warn you about your water temps but you seemed determined to try it. I thought "let him find out for himself." But now you're proving all the naysayers wrong. If you can bring this grow to harvest, I'll have to rethink all the "rules" I learned about water temps and DWC/SWC! Wishing you the best!

Scrogerman

Veteran
Like i said i hope he aces it pete but i think time will tell, my warning was simply to run a dead res to prevent any possible issues further down the line-or thats what i was getting at! Lit & tests on DO in water culture hydro have been done, & we all know what conditions pathogens thrive in. I know a few heads who've run successfull DWC with high sol temps well into the mid 80's & a lil higher, doesnt mean plants performed to their full potential & is a lil dangerous imo!

singularity

anytime recirculation is added to a hydroponic system, warmer temps ARE DEATH. this has been demonstrated. there is a mystery here, because non recirculating systems are not bound by the same rules circulating systems are. by no means am i attempting to rewrite any rules, because there is something here that is sort of an enigma. scrogger said it perfectly:

1. more roots, less solution movement.
2. higher temps, less D/O.
3. higher temps promote more bacterial growth, which is also very true.

these plants below were grown in open tubs, roots exposed to light, algae, and high temps. now vegging this way, ive NEVER had root rot or any root related issues unless the temp dropped below 71f. i sacrificed A LOT of time and clones to find the limits on temperature in this system.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I veg in clear pots too without problems and 75+ temps....the medium is RW but I let the roots keep growing out of the RW into the deeper water and their exposed to light with zero ploblems!

I haven't tried such for flowering though....attacks by spider mites killed 3 of my crops and a different spieces of mite each time! They would hit my plants in the third or fouth week of veg. I had to build a new veg room.

If I could find clear 5 gallon containers that are plastic I would try it for flowering!
I have found two gallon clear and will post in the future!

This thread is interesting!

singularity

quick little update, girls are looking phenomenal! both the kali and the ELE have slowed down on the nutrient uptake now that theyve both finished stretching, or so it seems(keeping a close peeper on kali).

still drinking plenty of water, though, if not a lil'mo than before. would say now they are at 6-8 gallons of water a day. one thing that is curiously sticking out is the flowering time on the ELE is happening substantially faster than when i did regular DWC. before, i didnt see buds forming till after 30 days. with the SWC tubs, she was showing preflowers at 12 days... whether there is something to this or i merely accidently slowed down growth in dwc remains to be seen, but it IS something ive observed.

bring on.... the new pics!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

newest batch of double dutch, ak47 feminized, and serious 6.
picture.php

ELE looking like shes ready to blow some minds! dont forget your helmet ;)
picture.php

G

Guest 114956

wow looking great sing i was gunna ask "tryin not to be a pain in the ass" if i could get a shot inside of the tub thats if u can lift the lid would love to see how its all going mate ..

Mrdaweed

Hi singularity. can you tell me what nutrient you use?did you add any organic additive and beneficial bacteria to your tub?

Very nice to see a different hydroponic method at work. Thats going to be a SERIOUS bush!!!
I see you have an ez cloner but was wondering if you have used this method with clones in 1.5in cubes?

singularity

mrdaweed- well... since you asked...

ive been fartin'round with spurrs recent nutrient solution formula for about 6 months, which calls for LOTS mo' nitrogen using GH 3 part- 5mlgrow 5mlmicro 5mlflora, 2-3ml citric acid, 5ml cal-mag, and 2-3ml of silica. first thing, this is a HOT MIX- EC right at 1.8 but thats heavy on nitrogen. even cut down substantially more even EC of 1.3, still plenty to burn plants. experiencing this as lead me back to my old faithful formula that is in use as we speak -

5ml micro
10ml flora
5ml cal
5ml sm90

EC of 1.6 but its extremely gentle, can and do feed that straight to sproutings with no burn or negative reactions. no h20/bleach or ''beneficial' anything else that doesnt belong in a hydroponic solution, at least not mine. that formula has been tried and true for about 5 years now, only out of heresy did i change and then go back. remember, i will not be doing ANY res changes for this entire grow for each tub.

jack- thanks for stopping in! yes, these are all SERIOUS bushes, which is taking my system to the extreme on its maiden flight. what better way to test something than full throttle??? these plants are completey out of control and the rate of growth ive experienced has been surprising to say the least. ive vegged for years this way and decided to see what these girls in flower could do with a similar system. newest batch of serious6 will be more managable and a closer reflection of how this new hydro system is supposed to work.

jd- no worries, maybe i should be curious too :) asked the girls if they minded me peeking under their dresses for the money shot, didnt seemed fazed... kinky! ill let the picture speak for themselves...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Singularity said:
i have no idea why this system works. literally stumbled upon it after researching growing before i started. simply cannabis likes warmer temperatures?

I'll hazard a guess and say that your moves have all been within the same area and that you're still using the same city water.... correct?

After seeing this and puzzling over the res temps thing I'm pretty sure you're using water with chlorine in it. Tap-water... right? :D

Awesome setup... :D

Stay Safe!

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
It looks like the water heater is set to 76, I am with most others that were it my tub I'd want the temps to be 68 - 72. Even so I have seen and had fine results with warmer temps. In fact I think FreezerBoy put together a nice thread on warm temps and his hydro buckets.

What is the air temp in the room?

As for weight from a 1KW, I'd hope you hit 2lbs per hood.

:joint:

singularity

hydro/soil- this system works regardless of base water. if anything, ive recently started mixing tap with r/o and not too sure im sold on the notion of it helping stabilize the ph. last 2 weeks went back to R/O from a 200gpd stealthhydro unit, think ill stick with that only as far as add-back. recirculation is the conundrum of water temps and hydro; remove that aspect and what once applied is now void.

hydrosun- moved the temperature dial unwraveling roots so i could lift the lid. always at 84f! in all actuality the observed boundaries of this system is 71f-88f for res temps. the higher end being the sweet spot. ambient temps are always 80f-84f and 45% humidity controlled with a dehumidifier.

supermanlives- thats a really good effin' question. HOW am i going to support all these buds? i wasnt prepared for this type of growth, yet its hard to make a negative out of a positive... these kinda plants are far beyond what i designed this for, i wanted 12''-20'' SOG. now ive got 4ft ELE and 6ft Kali. which is hilarious because in concept i built this hydro system to avoid having to fuck with anything other than a bountiful harvest. but what better way to validate something than through the exceeded capacity?

singularity

thanks for the interest and open minds. this still as of yet may fail horribly; it may not. ive never done this before, neither has anyone else, the potential for something to go wrong is always there.