What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tumble Now Rotator Dry Sifting Machine

C

Chamba

If absolute purity is you aim, don't overfill the machine, try one shorter duration run of 5 minutes and then card the resin in a W pattern to and fro over the flat screen for as long as it takes to clean it up.

Press the card down fairly hard and hold it at an angle as you scrape the resin over the fine mesh. The idea is to break up the bits of leaf and calyx and and along with the resin stalks, force them through the fine mesh leaving the resin heads on top.

Don't try this with just dried material as the resin heads probably won't be hard enough and will smudge on the mesh gunking and blocking it up quickly*. Also don't card with (early harvested) material that has small resin heads (35 ~ 80 micron) as half the resin with pass through the 200 mesh/70 micron flat screen and half will stay above. Many mature strains have around 90% of their resin heads in the 70 ~ 100 micron range, so re-sieving/carding over a 70 micron mesh will really help clean it up.

* to clean a gunked up mesh, use a one or two inch/26 or 52 mm wide paint brush and paint alcohol over the mesh (over a plate or a sink). Alcohol won't hurt the wooden frames or the synthetic mesh, Use a really "wet" brush so it drips through, do both sides. Compressed air is good to blow it clean..I guess a blow dryer would work too (just make sure to seal your bottle of alc first to prevent self-immolation). You can filter and evaporate the alcohol and dissolved resin heads. I've done this a few times, but really, it's not worth it.

Last edited:

SGMeds

Not only do ya need the proper tool, but to know how to use it... ;-)

Rep'd u guys, but thank you once again for the tips/insight!

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey again guys, got some more information to share.

Did another yield test with a small batch of Geisha trim.

Here's the 5 min stuff... Came out alllllmost full melt. In the 3rd pic, you can actually see all the stalks form an island atop the puddle of bubbling melt, which I thought was pretty neat!

Kicking myself for not freezing this stuff beforehand since it came out so close to the full melt ECSD run.

After a hit -

After 2nd hit -

As for yield, started with 10 grams, ended up with .6 gram in the top tray and .1 gram in the bottom. 7% total yield, 6% top, 1% bottom. Same 5-10-15 runs as before, 30 min runtime.

I also did a bubble run on some already tumbled material. Used the Sour Cream & Geisha trim I tumbled for the yield tests - total of 31 grams.

Used 4 bags, 220, 160, 73 and 25.

First round was 10 minutes, hand stirred. Yielded .7 gram of really nice melty bubble from the 73 bag and some slightly melty stuff from the 25 bag.

Second round was 5 minutes in the washing machine. Yielded .3 gram of really nice stuff from the 73 bag - almost as melty as the first round, and .1 gram from the 25 bag. Bubbles, but not really melty.

Here's some pics of the first round 73 bag product (sorry couldn't tripod these shots, so they are not quite as nice as the sift ones) -

Second round 73 bag -

So yea, there is definitely some bubble or oil or whatever to be harvested from material after being tumbled, and potentially really nice stuff.

Starting with 31 grams of tumbled trim, gives us -

4.2% total return (1.3 grams)

3.2% return of "head-stash" super melty bubble (1 gram from the 73 bag total)

Based on these additional yields, and the high quality, I will definitely be saving my trim after tumbling to be bubble bagged as well. Hope that helps anybody who was wondering about that.

Dorje113

SGMeds was nice enough to let em borrow his tumbler, Thanks bro!

My results look about the same as most here, I'm not getting melty kief but I'm also too lazy to card it through the 200 lpi screen :)

One observation about purity of the kief produced.... it's not so much strain specific as specific to the size of the screen relative to the size of the trichomes. So some strains work better than others with the screen provided. If you changed the screen to a finer or coarser mesh I think the strains that produce melt would also change. I ran trim from several strains and I think the kief from the buds with the largest visible trichomes comes out lighter in color.

It seems like yield is half to 2/3 what you'd get out of a bubble bag run, but the quality of kief is really good so it's more valuable that common green kief I usually see. It's also easy to use, way better that shaking a kief box :)

I ran a little bit of my friends trim and after it seemed done I tried running the trim thru a blender (not to the point of making powder, but to break it up finer without doing it by hand) and this didn't work too well, too much green material makes it through the screen, so I think crunching it up gently by hand before putting it in the tumbler works best and minimizes the amount of fine plant material that will make it past the screen.

C

Chamba

One observation about purity of the kief produced.... it's not so much strain specific as specific to the size of the screen relative to the size of the trichomes. So some strains work better than others with the screen provided.

astute observations Dorje113......try running the material with smaller trichomes for a shorter duration and try using the flat screen, it takes awhile, but you will see improved purity.

when comparing bags with tumblers (and with the intention of removing all the trichomes) I always get more yield from dry sifting compared to ice hashing, The ice hash is purer, the dry sift yield is greater.....such is the nature of both methods. But I've also dry sifted for a short duration and then Bubble bagged the material, that's a nice combination if your yield is split 50-50 between the two methods, then dry the ice hash and combine with the dry sift. This will be a happy medium between flavor, effects and leaving no resin heads behind still on the material.

Happy Hashing!

C

Chamba

it's run by a 6 volt DC motor and it comes with a 110V AC-DC converter.

For Germany you would have to buy a 230V converter that is suitable for a 6V DC motor, then plug it in and start tumbling.

....but just to be sure before you buy, it's probably best to send a private message to Aqualabtech here on icmag or visit their site and ask them.

http://www.aqualabtechnologies.com/medical-equipment/tumble-now.html

Last edited:

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey everyone - got some more Tumble Now sift pics to share.

Couple of good rounds today! Ran some Bubblegum trim and got really nice stuff, with the stalks doing their island trick again.

Then ran some Sour Cream trim, and got the full melt! Was wondering if I would get back there without crazy short rounds and all that, and sure enough, here we are... It was run for 6 minutes and not frozen beforehand.

I did clean the insert screen and the tumbler very well between the Bubblegum and Sour Cream runs, so I am thinking that is a factor in getting the ultra melty sift. Gotta get any stalks stuck to the tumbler or the insert screen off.

I gave them both a good brushing with a business card, then hit them with some compressed air. Then hit the tumbler box with compressed air too.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mr. Bongjangles again.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mr. Bongjangles again.

^like it says. just fucking great. k+ to you man

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
So... i stuffed my freezeer with the trim i ran threw and then got lazy.. and let it sit there a week.

Turns out my freezer started to dethaw and the brown bag i had the trim in started to get ice on it.

I quickly switch out the bags, and decide to toss it all back though the tumbler.

I probably got 10 more grams, and its all the same color as the first run. I dont know if its 'full melt', im not shooting for that; but anything i can get from something that is getting thrown out is bonus.

I swear ill weight it all, and run it though bubble bags sooner or later.

N

NicholasSmokes

Thinking of getting one of these. To run buds, how do you prep them? Grind them by hand?

C

Chamba

The short answer is yes.

There's lots of ways to break down buds for sifting...it really depends on what you want, how fast you want it and how many grades you want.

But no matter what your desire is, do not grind up the buds into anything smaller than joint rolling consistency (at least, initially)

Even when working with stainless steel meshes, it's still advisable to break down the buds and remove the stems, do this by hand to reduce the bud into budettes or groups of 5 ~ 10 calyxes..these can be tumbled. Another way is rub buds in between your palms to reduce them down in size...another is to use a herb grinder, just a few turns is about right and the calyxes will be separated from the stems.

Either way you do it, the idea is to expose all the calyxes (seed bracts) so the trichomes (resin heads) that are attached to the calyxes make contact with the mesh and are knocked off and pass through the mesh (leaving the larger sized plant material behind, if you grind the material down to smaller than the size of the calyxes, all you are doing is introducing more contaminant (bits of non-active plant material) in with the resin.

then re-freeze the plant material that has been tumbled, and before tumbling again, gently hand rub or grind the material down to a little smaller in size...anyway, that's one way to do it.

sh1wn

With my O'kief tumbler I will load about 2-2.5 oz of whole frozen buds and run a half hour, then unload that and load another 2-2.5 oz of whole frozen buds and run it another half hour. When the second load finishes I clean up my goodies and then I take both loads of buds and corse chop it in the food processor, then it gets refrozen for a few hours and then I run all 5 oz for an hour for my second grade. After all that there is still alot of good stuff left in the bud so into the tincture jar it goes. This is the best way I have found to get from bud to a medication that I can use. I would recommend that you use some sort of magnification when you sift, it really helps when you can see what your after. I'm sure there are some differences between tumblers but I would like to hear what other people are doing to get the most from there tumblers?
Shawn

C

Chamba

Dry

the best bud to use for dry sifting has been aged for a minimum of several months..do a search for "dry sifting" here and spend a few hours reading up on what it's all about.

wet bud can be stirred with ice and frozen water then filtered with Bubblebags to separate the resin heads and the bud they used to be attached to.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dry buds for dry sift, but dry or wet material will work for bubble. however fresh frozen trim or nug works best for bubble.

It may seem expensive for one of these tumblers but with the price of isoproponal these days im saving a ton of cash by tumbling.Its not dangerous and i dont have to put up with the reek and the fumes of the alchohol.Ive got an okief and its pretty good.This one here looks awesome.Might just trade up.

C

Chamba

the biggest problems I found with the O'Keif tumbler I have is that the motor runs really really hot which is a concern, the mesh cylinder is not supported at both ends so long term reliability could be a problem, the cylinder is not horizontal so they supply rubber balls with it so the plant material doesn't pool at the low end, the motor is so heavy in relation to the plastic storage tub that it needs a U shaped metal support to prevent the whole thing tipping over which looks ugly and is an after thought, the cylinder access door has wing nuts so it's slow to open and it's difficult to remove all the resin from inside the bottom of the plastic box as it sits on a plastic sheet (but apart from all that it's works "ok" lol). But in all fairness to O'Kief, from the lack of complaints online, they do seem to stand by their products if you have a problem with it (as all retailers should) and I noticed on their website recently that they now have a stronger motor (does that mean the motor that's attached to the plastic side wall doesn't run super hot?)..but there's no mention of the other points that need attending to that are all caused by starting with a plastic storage container with thin side walls that are not vertical and, well , it's plastic! resin and plastic are not the ideal combination.

......but ThripsAhoy, if it's still working ok, perhaps buy Bubbleman's set of four dry sifting screens to purify the dry sift you get from the O'k tumbler?....or alternatively give the O'keif plastic tub to a mate (as mate did to me!) and buy the Tumble Now as it is definitely an improvement and an advancement on existing dry sifting machines available now.

btw I still haven't got a Tumble Now yet, but a mate has one, so I've had a chance to check it out. I'd like to see a variable speed control, a 0 ~ 60 minute timer and a choice of larger sized models..and for those Hash snobs like me, I'd like a choice a screen sizes for the flat screen frame that sits on the pull out drawer..the current size is 70 micron, perhaps a choice or a combination of the 70 micron with a 90 micron mesh on top (so there's 3 meshes in total giving you super clean resin in the 125u ~ 90u range (my fave), clean resin in the 70u ~ 90u range and ok quality that passes through the 70 and contains lots of dust)
The drawer is a good idea as you can switch it off and check out the quality of what's fallen through in seconds (rather than going to the trouble of lifting the lid and removing the cylinder to see what the fall-through quality is like with the plastic storage box tumblers like the Okeif and the Pollenator) with your magnifying glass...oh, yeah, Bubbleman needs to supply a magnifying glass with the Tumble Now too..but I guess everything costs money and it's best to keep the costs down as much as poss..anyway, we all have magnifying glasses or loupes don't we?

Last edited:

sh1wn

Ya, the o'kief is kind of disappointing when you pull it out of the box, mine has worked well for me but I can't wait to upgrade it.
Shawn

C

Chamba

Championship dry sifting Mr Bongjangles!

It looks really good to me, more so today, cos I'm all outta resin....

damn!, if this keeps up I'll be able to pass a drug test soon! lol

Latest posts

Latest posts