What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Organic Nutrients from General Hydroponics

D

dongle69

CaMg+
Derived from:
Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Carbonate, molasses.
Smells "organic."

Bio Root
Derived from:
Alfalfa meal, brewer's yeast, potassium sulfate, rock phosphate, sea kelp, soybean meal.
Smells like dirt.

Bio Weed
100% sea kelp derived from Ascophyllum nodosum (cold processed).
Smells like seaweed - surprise!

Bio Marine
Derived from:
Cold processed enzynatically digested fish protein.
Smells like fish. - another surprise!

BioThrive Grow and Bloom Vegan Plant Food
Derived from:
alfalfa meal, cane sugar, copper sulphate, glacial rock powder, iron sulphate, kieserite, maganese sulphate, molasses, plant extracts, potassium sulphate, rock phosphate, sodium borate, sodium molybdenate, soybean meal, zinc sulphate.
Also contains seaweed and humic acids.
Note on bottle - This product works best with soils that contain calcium.
When using depleted soil, coir, perlite, rock wool, or any sterile media, for best results, we recommend that you supplement this product with CaMg+.

Smells "organic."

J

JackKerouac

Looks to me to be just a re-label of the GH/BB (BioBizz) product line for the most part...

I believe this to be true as there was some beef on the Genhydro blog between them about this nute line.

I have seen this line used in aerated ebb and flow in a greenhouse. It looks very promising.

Seed Buyer

GH has a tendency to market way to early. I bet it will be quite sometime before this stuff is on your local hydro shop shelves.

Dongle...you should have told them you run 100 gal res's and sent them pics of your 6K grow. I bet they would have sent you enough to Guinea pig at least one res worth.

Does the CAMg+ have nitrogen in it? Always wandered why cal/mag supplements have any nitrogen in them?

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
"Bio Weed" and "Bio Bud"? :biglaugh: Sounds like someone at GH has been hanging around at ICmag for a while. :smile:

D

dongle69

GH has a tendency to market way to early. I bet it will be quite sometime before this stuff is on your local hydro shop shelves.
They say the launch date is July 25.

Dongle...you should have told them you run 100 gal res's and sent them pics of your 6K grow. I bet they would have sent you enough to Guinea pig at least one res worth.
I wasn't gonna push it since I won the stuff.
I'll try it out for my mother plants and some other vegging stuff.

Does the CAMg+ have nitrogen in it? Always wandered why cal/mag supplements have any nitrogen in them?
5% calcium, 1% magnesium, no nitrogen.
This stuff is made from calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, and molasses.
Most other calmag products are made from calcium nitrate.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ to me I see way more people with mag problems then cal problems.

not sure what nutes affect other nutes but I would say to add more mag then cal in there cal / mag product???

D

dongle69

Most people's mag problems are because their balance is off, not because they don't have enough mag.
It is usually because they are overloading on something else.

asher1er

Veteran
the launch date is suppose to be the day of the indoor gardening expo, there would most prolly be a bunch of freebies to be had from them:joint:

J

JackKerouac

I don't think they market too early. My local hydro store just got samples. They are also going to be pitching this stuff at Reggae Rising in Humboldt at the end of the month.

Krakatoa

Well, I mixed up my new General Organics nutes, and gave one of my Erkel's a good watering.

Obviously I can't tell anything yet, but the experience of mixing up five different bottles of smelly stuff got me thinking...

How much better could General Organics be than the Age Old Organics ferts I sometimes use already? I mean, Age Old Organics doesn't smell, and it's a one-part fertilizer. Simple as can be, and doesn't need a lot of shaking, which comes in handy when you're mixing with five separate bottles as in General Organics.

Which leads to a whole different question: since it's true that I've had my best grows with Age Old Organics or with MaxiGro/MaxiBloom, why do I even want to bother with anything other than a one-part system? I have two proven winners with one-part ferts; how much better could a 5-part system be?

I saw one grower here on IC who was running a BIG grow with Advanced Nutrients and he was using at least a dozen different products including base nutes and "additives," and he was adjusting the mix every week throughout grow!

Age Old Organics works great.
Botanicare's CNS17 works great.
GH's MaxiGro/MaxiBloom works great.
Cutting Edge Solutions 3-part works great.

And here's a sleeper for you... Formula X from Cornucopia Plus works great, and it works great from veg all the way through bloom. One bottle from clone to flower and yes, it really does work fine.

These are all very simple nutes that are easy to shake, easy to mix, easy to deal with.

After mixing up my new General Organics stuff, I think I'm ready to take a vow of no more than 3 parts to any fert mix. The hell with 5 or more base nutes, and then another half dozen potential additives.

I like simple, and my plants like simple.

*mistress*

Veteran
giving up simplicity of maxi-bloom & floralicious+ for new stuff?

was considering your ^regime, after bottle of fnb gone. floralicious bloom still in imaginary regime...

would bio thrive bloom+ca mg be all needed, similar to fnb-standalone?

enjoy your garden!

J

JackKerouac

I just wanted to chime in on their cal-mag supplement. It doesn't have Nitrogen in it, so it is better for treating coco or correcting deficiencies foliarly without making plants look like ass.

Talking with GH, this was done on purpose.

J

JackKerouac

theyll probably change that name. recall kool bloom was initially marketed as ka-bloom.
the name was later changed.

I just fell in love with the jellyfish on the biomarine bottle. It still smells like death.

Krakatoa

Hi all,

I decided to not be so lazy and I've committed to using the General Organics for my 8-plant mini-SOG cabinet.

General Hydro was nice enough to send me their whole line for free, so I figure I owe them a shot.

So far, the General Organics nutes are working out fine. I had been using CNS17 for the first few days of this grow, and the plants are just as happy with the General Organics as they were with the CNS17.

I think the real reason my plants are so happy is that I'm giving them gentle T5HO light, rather than the intense HPS light I sometimes use in this cabinet.

Anyway, the General Organics mixes up fine, and smells really nice. I don't use the Bio Marine, because that stuff just reeks way too much for indoor use. I'll keep you updated. Here's a photo of the General Organics in a one-gallon blued jug. This stuff mixes up very dark, like an intense tea.

I really had no idea my hand was so hairy... :yoinks:

picture.php

picture.php

B

Blue Dot

CaMg+
Derived from:
Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Carbonate, molasses.
Smells "organic."

So Dolomite lime + molasses. But wait, doesn't a soilless mix usually have dolomite already added?

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=2609127#post2609127

Blackstrap molasses doesn't have nearly the amount of Ca as it does potassium.

K will cause a cation antagonism towards Ca and vice versa.

Molasses is not a direct replacement for CalMag. Actually you should use CalMag with molasses to prevent the K/Ca imbalance.

_________

D

dongle69

I decided to not be so lazy and I've committed to using the General Organics for my 8-plant mini-SOG cabinet.
Sweet!
Please keep us updated.
So Dolomite lime + molasses. But wait, doesn't a soilless mix usually have dolomite already added?
I guess that depends on the soil mix.
Most bagged soil and soil-less mixes don't, or they have very little.
Many growers prefer to have a liquid that is more controllable than something mixed in to the soil.