What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wmass worm castings?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
It's all worm drive saws on craigslist.:laughing: I found a couple places semi local, but I don't wanna really wanna have to drive 2 hours each way :(

troutman

Seed Whore
Order them and they'll be shipped to you.

I ordered 1/2 a pound of European Nightcrawlers last year and they are doing fine.

Most people get Red Wigglers because they breed faster.

You may have to wait until it warms up to order so they don't freeze though.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Uncle Jim or getting worm castings (pre bagged). Try that as a seed hatching experiment while making your bin.

We have a few going, but in summer we release into garden due to hot June/July temps. Worms like it cool.

Good luck!!

Muleskinner

Veteran
I usually check local garden stores for Coast of Maine castings ("Wiscasset Blend") but it's difficult this time of year to find them. I just bought a bag of 1 CU of Roots Organics castings from Green Harvest for about $40 ("Big Worm"). I do feel somewhat guilty about trucking a 30 pound bag of castings across the country.

These 2 companies are the best quality of castings I've seen - far better than Wiggle Worm. Honestly the Roots Organics castings look even better than Coast of Maine.

Here's a smaller local crew - these guys make boutique castings, ultimate quality, but they're very expensive and down in southeastern Mass/Rhode Island. Unless you meet them at one of the conventions like NECANN you won't be able to find them.

https://www.growearthly.com

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Thanks for the heads up Mule, those price don't seem exorbitant. And only 5$ for 4lb shipped is good deal for shipping. A lot of places I found online have really low prices for the castings, but then gouge you on shipping. And I don't buy anything nutrient wise off amazon, you just have no control over how long it's been sitting in a non temperature controlled warehouse. Too many reviews of people buying expired nutrients too, that's why I been tryin to find some place local.

Muleskinner

Veteran
The Grow Earthly guys are great people, I ended up smoking a joint with them in a Back Bay alley on the night of the legalization election in 2016. They were just starting the company but their plan sounded good. Maybe I'll get a bag at NECANN, it's only a few weeks away - damn it's TWO weeks away!

Last edited:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
So my local grow store will sell me a 40lb bucket of worm castings for 40$. That is the best price I have found by far, but I only need maybe 1 of those 40 lbs. What do I do with the rest? :D

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Oh I thought there was kind of a faster turnaround on just castings? How long can I keep them reliably does anybody know?

troutman

Seed Whore
I still say get worms even if you have to order them.

So once your in shit, you'll always be in shit and never have to worry about shit again. :biggrin: