What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

To breed or not to breed.

Perhaps this has been discussed at lengths in other threads, but this is my 1st post and 1st grow.
I’m looking at developing a future seed source for a high desert 4000 ft elevation 35 n lat outdoor grow in Arizona ( yah prop 207) .
I’m looking at sensi seeds, Mexican Sativa ( Oaxaca, Durban & paki hash plant) as as the mother plant. Any suggestions on an outside gene pool? I have thought about OG Kush , but concerned about too much indica influence.

Any concerns for just continuing with current plant genotype and breed a male Mexican sativa to the mother? Genetic suppression ?

I get it that it will prob take a few generations to see effects, but as they say, the best time to start breeding is 20 years ago, the 2nd best time is now.

Thanks

midwestkid

Veteran
420giveaway
I would recommend an afghani as they seem to really handle the heat and lack of water. And I'm sure other people will promptly steer you away from Sensi seeds as they seem to be a shadow of what they once were.
Also search landrace seed companies and perhaps Ace seeds. Try to find a variety that is accustomed to said elevation and climate.
Good luck. You've come to the right place. Lots of good helpers on here if you are willing to listen

Thanks. I’m somewhat overwhelmed with the choices in seed banks. I didn’t know about issues with Sensi seeds. I did order a few China Yunnan from Ace seeds. I’ll look at Agfan for a pollen donor. I’ve got a well established irrigation system, but it does get f’ ing hot here in summer. I choose Mex sativa for a hot climate plant based on the predominant sativa genotype.

zif

Veteran
Might look for genetics from Northern India or Nepal.

Plenty of landrace options these days. Or line breed from a high-quality hybrid. Bodhi and Chimera, for example, have several crosses with Nepali parents.

This is a great forum! Thanks for the suggestions. I have been thinking that I would benefit from growing the Mexican Sativa for a season to how she does in the heat( 100 F + days with 30 to 40 degree diurnal temp shift) before attempting to develop a seed stock. My goal is
a sativa dominant hybrid that is heat tolerate, has a relative short flowering period, and not too demanding.
So many strains, so little time...

HomegrownJerome

ACE has Moroccan & Lebanese regular beans that could be used in your project maybe. They are sativa that mature early and have a nice high from what l've read in this forum.

I will definitely look at those. I was drawn to the Oaxacan strain from all the 70’s weed I smoked. But maybe the names of the strain don’t always reflect the plants true lineage. We shall see how she does. I’ll post updates, I’m a ways off from planting.

Koondense

Veteran
Lebanon, Marocco, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Sinai, Nepal... plenty to choose and all are available here and there.
I would cross everything and start three f1 lines to work with, the ones with most overall appeal.

Best of luck!

brickweeder

...I have been thinking that I would benefit from growing the Mexican Sativa for a season to how she does in the heat( 100 F + days with 30 to 40 degree diurnal temp shift) before attempting to develop a seed stock. My goal is
a sativa dominant hybrid that is heat tolerate, has a relative short flowering period, and not too demanding.
So many strains, so little time...

Might as well have fun with it and breed away. I saw you mentioed you have China Yunnan, and this strain handles high temps like a champ. However, CY x sativa hybrids are hit or miss (I tried with Panama and Destroyer and they came out sub par, although I only grew one of each, which is not a good sample).

Although not a mex, Ace's panama handles high temps like a champ too.

Cvh

Supermod
Cannabiogen has several Mexican lines. Seeing your climate, you might want to check out Mexicans.

rolandomota

Arizona is flooded with outdoor grown Mexican weed just ask where it's at it's probably 50 dollars or less an ounce and most likely comes with free seeds they smuggle it in 50 pound bricks walking across the desert because theirs no trump 25th amendment non existing border wall
I have tons of Mexico strains I save from the weed I buy to smoke not from Arizona it's Texas brick
Sometimes you find indica type leaf in brick seed

You should grow Freakshow or supafreak by Humboldt seed company ultra stealth delivery in days 3 or 4 less than a week

Latest posts

Latest posts