What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using UV light to lower THC concentrations?

Hello to everyone,

A friend of mine grew legally CBD plants but the problem is the outrageously low THC limit of 0,2%. After he completed the harvest he sent samples of the buds for lab analysis and results came back showing 0,6% THC and 13% CBD. Now he cannot legally sell those flowers.

He read about UV lights being used to lower THC concentrations...? Does any of you guys know more about the subject? Anyone who has tried it perhaps? Thank you very much for any answers.

pXxqvg5

ZzTXqn5

yyWn8jg

Attachments

• IMG_20200920_132931.jpg
    IMG_20200920_132931.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20200920_162900.jpg
    IMG_20200920_162900.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20200920_133852.jpg
    IMG_20200920_133852.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 67

TexanTerps

UV degrades just about everything! I think heat and light degrade THC. UV could be a big player as far as hitting it. Does he just need to get a small sample to pass? Or random pieces of the lot?

sshz

Adding UVB during the last 2 weeks of flowering can add up to 27% more THC to the plant. But it's given in small doses, depending on how high the light source is from the plants. It could be as low at 10 minutes 3X a day. There's some links in my Orange Gasm thread that discuss college studies on the subject.

But the issue is it's a really bad light on the human body, mainly the eyes and skin........ plants don't really like it either, and produce more resin as a defense mechanism to defuse the UVB before it hits the leaves.

TnTLabs

in the EU we now have a limit of 0.3% Total THC,
yeah such a machine exists and is used widely as most cbd growers have this problem!
no idea what kind of tech it uses though, only know its about 20K to get one

romanoweed

yes i heard the same. seen a doku about cbd-producers. i also can remember they used it while curing buds, not while growing, wich another one stated. seen a video of them dooing it whilst curing.

TnTLabs

yes i heard the same. seen a doku about cbd-producers. i also can remember they used it while curing buds, not while growing, wich another one stated. seen a video of them dooing it whilst curing.

remember the name of the documentary?

burmese

i think its something like this:
live plant: short term use uv degrade thc
long term use uv upgrade thc
drying: short term use uv can upgrade thc
long term use uv degrade thc

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
If he stripped out the oil he could simply heat that. 220 will dispatch thc acid

neoweed

I've heard you can use a special ultrasound order UV-light machine to lower the THC and keep the CBD. Do you guys know about any machines like that?

I hope the UV light is a usable procedure?

I am not amused about the EU CBD producers, since some of them (but how many?) wash the THC with Alcohol away and terpenize them as well.

The EU would better increase the allowed THC value to 1%, just my reasonable recommondation.

Maple_Flail

Just harvest sooner next crop.

CBD matures before THC on the plant so. cut them down a
week or two earlier

as for what to do with the aformentioned flower..

turn it to oil and decarb it at the point it destroys/converts a portion of THC while activating the CBD.. there we ya go marketable concentrate.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Haha also some stupid manufacures use fast drying procedures a 45°C (113°F).
1 Kilo for 500 Euro (600$) hmmmm....

In the EU we talk total THC but in many areas it's D9. Prolonged heat will turn D9 to D8 which isn't illegal. In the last few years some labs have found ways to test for each individually. It's possible the OP's friends weed was legal, but the lab counted the D8 portion in with the D9.

In other news, D8 can be made from CBD. It's wasteful, but the product is worth a lot more than the parent material. Lot's of CBD oil is now being processed to D8 and sold legally. It's effects are much like D9. Just not quite so strong, when you get a side by side done.

The OP's friend should speak to his lab about their abilities. Make sure they can tell them apart. Then experiment with heat processing. It's actually possible that, if he still has the product, it's now converted quite a bit of D9 to D8 just sat about. Just about any processing of the green also brings about change.

Learn a bit more every day..

Latest posts

Latest posts