What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

!! Warning !! Do not believe the NORML website's law guide

G

guest86120975

I feel like it's my duty to pass this along. Be very careful relying on their info! Some of the guide, maybe even most of it is fairly accurate, but enough of it is very wrong that it could really lead someone into a false sense of security. This week, I sat down and had a talk with a prominent defense attorney in my area so that I could get a feel for the real picture. When I told him what was listed as a misdemeanor on their site, his eyes bugged out and he exclaimed, "where did you hear THAT!?" When I told him where, he shook his head, and told me that no, what I described is definitely charged as a serious felony, and it would be up to you to convince a judge or jury otherwise. I did a little more research for another state, and found out there were some serious flaws there, too. Just be careful with NORML...donate your $$$ to grassroots efforts instead.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
The biggest thing Norml does is take in money. I haven't seen 1 damn thing in years that has changed is any way related to what their mission purports to be.

MadBuddhaAbuser

Kush, Sour Diesel, Puday boys
Veteran
If NORML was worthy of getting a dollar from me, HR 2306 would have been passed already.

It's nothing but a bunch of potheads who want to feel good about themselves without actually doing anything.

Call your congressman/woman and urge them to support HR 2306 if you dont want to go to jail for pot.

schwilly

got invited and met all the head norml people at the national conference in dc several years ago.

...they all suck pretty bad. do not give them money.

norml may have once been a worthwhile organization, not any more. i wanted to give a lot of those smug poseurs a beating by the time i left.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
norml just became a corporation about profits... they help no one and do nothing but try and collect more money... if shit was really legalize they would seize to exist... i dont beleive they really want that... its a catch 22 and i think they like there livlihoods... another example of few peoples greed fucking up the wehole thing

SpayceRayce

Sometimes I wonder if they, in some way, aren't "in it to lose it". A group of loosely connected stooges, either trying to throw the game, or put there because they couldn't win a 1 person pissing contest in a phone booth. A lot of them have the look of those "experts" hauled out to discuss the pros of extra terrestrial visitations. Money making, but impotent, ineffective lobbyists in a time when lobbyists can start wars, buy presidents and take over entire food crop management.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's very easy to google the penal law of the state that you live in to check the law.....

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sometimes I wonder if they, in some way, aren't "in it to lose it". A group of loosely connected stooges, either trying to throw the game, or put there because they couldn't win a 1 person pissing contest in a phone booth. A lot of them have the look of those "experts" hauled out to discuss the pros of extra terrestrial visitations. Money making, but impotent, ineffective lobbyists in a time when lobbyists can start wars, buy presidents and take over entire food crop management.

There is your answer except for the loosely connected part. The head of the MPAA that was used to take down Megaupload used to be a congressman for Connecticut and now makes in a year what he would have made in a century in politics and knows EXACTLY who to talk to to grease the squeaky wheel.

Like JJ said you need to Google your own state and study YOUR state laws and not rely on someone else to do it for ya. It's your ass out there so I'd say cover it well.

Be Well
Mr.Wags

RetroGrow

Veteran
I feel like it's my duty to pass this along. Be very careful relying on their info! Some of the guide, maybe even most of it is fairly accurate, but enough of it is very wrong that it could really lead someone into a false sense of security. This week, I sat down and had a talk with a prominent defense attorney in my area so that I could get a feel for the real picture. When I told him what was listed as a misdemeanor on their site, his eyes bugged out and he exclaimed, "where did you hear THAT!?" When I told him where, he shook his head, and told me that no, what I described is definitely charged as a serious felony, and it would be up to you to convince a judge or jury otherwise. I did a little more research for another state, and found out there were some serious flaws there, too. Just be careful with NORML...donate your $$$ to grassroots efforts instead.

Can you be specific about which states were wrong?

supermanlives

Veteran
other than minimum mandatory sentances. alot depends on the defendant .too many variables. judges mood,lawyers skills ect. start saving as good lawyers aint cheap

Skip

Veteran
Well why not post up the LAW in our state forums so icmagers know what's what and it can be updated by ppl in the state...

That's what those forums are for, to keep us informed as to the latest legal status and issues in each state.

I was disappointed when they were taken down for that reason alone. Maybe I'll move the state forums into the Legal Issues forum... there's a link but I don't think many ppl are visiting their state forums.

RespectGreen

Veteran
norml just became a corporation about profits... they help no one and do nothing but try and collect more money... if shit was really legalize they would seize to exist... i dont beleive they really want that... its a catch 22 and i think they like there livlihoods... another example of few peoples greed fucking up the wehole thing

I agree 110 fuckin percent! They're all about taxation and regulation of $ thatll be coming in to there pockets from what I see.

They can kiss my :moon:

I have found the information to be valid. You can cross-reference the laws very easily to double check.

Alas, I suspect the OP misinterpreted his attorney. I could be wrong OP and if so my apologies. But I think what the lawyer was saying is that realistically, you won't just get charged with the simple possession standards- outlined in the NORML guidelines- as a grower. You'll get conspiracy to commit blah blah, intent to distribute blah blah, etc. While this is a fair point, it doesn't mean the NORML guidelines are "wrong" per say, it just means that simple possession is only a small part of your concerns as a grower.

The best way to deal with your concerns is to get a local attorney and talk with him. The best way for people too broke for that is to get your ass Googlin. Google the hell out of local bust cases on your counties court website. You might be surprised how specific relevant information is on the internet.

yea friend of mine (not to bright) thought, because he read on NORML site, that you could grow up to 300 lbs in alabama and only get a MM sentence of 3-5 years teeehee...little does norml inform you that they weigh the WHOLE plant roots and all, further more after doing some research for him, found that other charges associated with grow will tack on huge TIME on sentence. 10-20 years for operating a clandestine laboratory proximity to drug free zone paraphernalia .....it goes on and on...amazing that people would not take the time to properly research...

Latest posts

Latest posts