What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry Ice Hash FTW!!

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Merlot that is kick ass :good: How dose it melt ? I wonder about using a 73 for a first run then a 120 for a second run. I know from ice water bubble you can get different grades. Would it not be the same with this method?

slackx

Veteran
He speaks the truth! I just had my first dry ice run as well, from 4 oz of trim the yield was around 28 grams, don't stop shaking the fucking thing- up your bag as if you were pulling bubble backwards and you'll end up with a shit ton. We're using dry ice i'm sure the purpose is yield...so shake it like a polaroid picture with everything upto 160. Remember kids seperate your resins by grade.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So if I just wanted to use ONE SIZE screen for sheer simplicity and for an evenly mixed resin gland pressing from multiple plants for the best trim yield what would be the size 160?

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
So if I just wanted to use ONE SIZE screen for sheer simplicity and for an evenly mixed resin gland pressing from multiple plants for the best trim yield what would be the size 160?

i think the one in the video is a 73

slackx

Veteran
SOTF just shake it twice, do a 73 run than a 160 run - the 160 shit is perfect for cooking

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm of the belief that I want the whole synergy of medicinal effects from all the grades of trichome heads small and large at once from the plant. That is why I wanted to know about a "one size fits all" because honestly I have never done a dry ice run before like many others here but I am thinking this method will keep me happily medicated on some grapefruity goodness for a long time to come :good:

Also is fresh fresh fresh trim or dried trim best in your opinions?

Looking to waste as little as possible and combine all grades into one whole complete resin. :)

:smoke out:

slackx

Veteran
It doesn't matter if its wet or dry, the dry ice completely freezes it in about 5 minutes and turns it into powder - I did it with right off the plant trim and that was the yield of wet trim 4oz and 1 oz dried dry sift. I'm sure having it being dry may make it happen faster, but your getting the same results in 5 minutes or so either way.

Take the 160 and make edibles with it. It's a very popular wise choice 73 resin is the bees nees

EDIT - 160 isn't that great of hash is the reason you wouldn't want it in a medical classification, always has been weaker than 73's with any strain i've done with bubble i'm sure same laws apply

M

mugenbao

Remember kids seperate your resins by grade.
Good point. I didn't do that last time, going to try that next time though.

As mentioned above, I only used one size (75 micron) last time, and the results were definitely good enough for me. I'm going to continue trying to refine the method and see what I can get.

I definitely think that the longer you shake it the more plant matter you get, so I'll be trying to account for that as well.

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
That's the thing - the longer you shake it, the more teensy bits of freeze dried plant is going to get in there.
No matter what size meshes you use, I think a second run is going to be a lot greener.

I also think you have to forget a little of what you thought was best if you are coming from traditional bubble water ice hash. It's a different game.

I came up with a good idea to separate mesh sizes without that second run: if you stack your bags-the 160 closest to the trim dry ice, then the 73 outside of that- then shake, you are going to get the finest grade on your glass or table, and then everything smaller than 160 but bigger than 73 will be trapped on the in-side of the 73 bag.

If you ONLY do the 73u you are going to be leaving a lot behind. I went with 160 cause I didn't really care if it was "full melt"- I'm probably going to encapsulate a lot of it for medicinal use anyway.

Great to see so many converts!

C

Chamba

in terms of the quality of the high, with most strains at maturity, the best trichomes are usually in the 75 ~ 115 micron range.....so use a 110 ~130 micron screen for best results.

C

Chamba

I know, there are already threads about this. I was just so stoked I had to make a new one- sorry

The more the merrier!

If any readers here haven't already, try to check out the other dry ice threads as there is some useful info.

C

Chamba

and next time, try a very gentle agitation for a short duration (as opposed to aggressive shaking) on the first "run" if purity is your aim

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
can someone take a really good macro of both 160 and 73?? I would liek to see what it looks like compared to bubble.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
to let all the active substances through use the 220.

as was said above this is not the same as making bubble hash. where the water helps flush the trichomes through the various sized bags. this is more like a dry sift method. so you may as well start with the 220 and work gently to begin with, collect what comes out in the first 15 seconds of gentle shaking, then shake harder and make a second pile. the 160 is the smallest bag you should use for this method imo. a 73 bag will leave much goodness stuck on the wrong side of the mesh. i mean just think how many times the 90u and 120 is top, do you really want that stuff left in with the trim?

if you are in to the best of the best from this you will have to do some re-sifting probably. although the first collection should be pretty awesome to start with if you were not to ruff to begin with.

M

mugenbao

to let all the active substances through use the 220.

as was said above this is not the same as making bubble hash. where the water helps flush the trichomes through the various sized bags. this is more like a dry sift method. so you may as well start with the 220 and work gently to begin with, collect what comes out in the first 15 seconds of gentle shaking, then shake harder and make a second pile. the 160 is the smallest bag you should use for this method imo. a 73 bag will leave much goodness stuck on the wrong side of the mesh. i mean just think how many times the 90u and 120 is top, do you really want that stuff left in with the trim?

if you are in to the best of the best from this you will have to do some re-sifting probably. although the first collection should be pretty awesome to start with if you were not to ruff to begin with.
Thank you for the tips, I'll definitely try that. I was thinking of doing some resifting next time as well.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thats the part that concerns me. If you shake to hard you will end up with alot of contaminents in the final product ? I would expect to see particales of the plant matter the mre you shake. \

I would think this would work better with medium/small buds that are not chopped up and shake very gently. I guess I will need to try this and post my results.

LokiLoki

Really liking this method!

So if im not completely wrong this method will get you more hash?
I see alot of people using 4oz of trimmings and getting about 20grams of hash.
And with the cold water method i got like 10grams from 4oz.

I guess I will need to try this and post my results.

Great idea :)

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont have any all bud trim right now I only have a mix of trim and bud 8oz I still have 1 more plant to harvest from the summer run. The winter run is just starting.