What's new

Is Youtube censoring the number of "views"?

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
I've heard accusations of this being thrown around before.

About how Youtube has been stifling the listed number of views for certain videos (Such as End the Fed type videos) so the real number of people interested in such topics is dramatically understated.

Well, I've found an example, so mods please don't lock this thread. If I were to post this in the video section, no one would be able to see what I'm talking about.

This is Ron Paul:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_7W0U_BuVU

When I watched the counter was at 304 views..

Edit: I am open to alternative explanations. Perhaps the counter updates at intervals? People have been seeing 304 views for at least 30 minutes now from the comments.

C

cork144

im not sure, i think youtube just updates every 30 mins to an hour, see it get said alot on aj videos

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
Yea, that's what I'm thinking. This is the first time I've ever seen it first hand, so I figured I'd put the idea out there so we can see if there is any truth to it.

I'm completely open to both possibilities, myself.

Update: The ratings have updated, but the views have not. If it jumps to over a thousand within the hour I'll be sold on it being a Youtube bug. (IP cataloging is another possible variable to take into consideration here. The same IP only counting for one view, for example, no matter how many times it's refreshed.)

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
304 here too

Wouldn't surprise me after the game they played with the Obama questions. Top rated question was on MJ legalization, but they chose not to ask it. :chin:

greenhead

Veteran
No, the views are not being censored and there's no mysterious, sneaky conspiracy behind it.

That video was just posted today, and I've seen similar low numbers on many videos, especially those that are getting many hits or going viral. And those other videos haven't been political in nature.

Give it a day or two, and you'll see that same video having thousands of hits.

:tiphat:

C

cork144

No, the views are not being censored and there's no mysterious, sneaky conspiracy behind it.

That video was just posted today, and I've seen similar low numbers on many videos, especially those that are getting many hits or going viral. And those other videos haven't been political in nature.

Give it a day or two, and you'll see that same video having thousands of hits.

we know greenhead, but youtube does censor things between countrys,

if youve ever posted videos on youtube youll know this because it can say depending on your tags "video cencored in certain countrys"(or along those lines)

they could run searches on certain tags and slow down the counters,

remember im saying could here, they have the ability to, dont know if they are or not,

greenhead

Veteran
we know greenhead, but youtube does censor things between countrys,

Yes, that has to do with copyright restrictions, especially on music videos, that kind of stuff happens.

That's also why some websites (especially video sites) only work for US people and some websites only work for EU countries.

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
nice.. yeah i thought i saw something on the news at some point but im usually half hearing shit correctly half on IC and ALWAYS fuckkered up in some form or another

looks like yes has the majority - i think he'll take it if he runs, especially if that half retarded milf is in the race - whats her name again?? :D

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Yep, I think I read Paul's received over 18,000 "vote" hits in his most recent website poll. Looks like the great majority of respondents are pro-Paul.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
Gee, I sure hope so. Ron Paul being president might change alot of things, but he would do us no miracles. The miracle would be the change in mentality in the average American that allowed him to be elected in the first place.