What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ist clones in a seed grow before flipping

El Timbo

What is your usual way of doing this?

1. Top a couple of nodes and use the top as a clone.
2. Normal top and wait for lower branches to grow to use as clones.
3. No topping - wait for lower branches.
4. ¿?

Please give details :)

El Timbo

I've gone for option 2 with my latest grow - and I am determined to wait until I have clones of all the females before I flip them.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
4, normal top, then take which ever branch is becoming a pain and growing taller than the rest to even out the canopy.

El Timbo

4, normal top, then take which ever branch is becoming a pain and growing taller than the rest to even out the canopy.

Is that not option 2? How many weeks veg does it usually take you to get a cloneable branch? Maybe it's my growing style but sometimes I'm 8 weeks into veg and still haven't got anything big enough to clone if I don't top.

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
No option 2 was lower branch, I normally end up taking top branches to lower the tip top of the canopy so lower branches get chance to catch up. Time depends on plants, but most show sex around 28 days so normally a week or so later. I don't think you're behind if you are using lower branches, and I wait for clones to root before flipping their mums properly. So I'm in the same ball park as you I think time wise.

El Timbo

Ah ok - now I see the difference. I don't worry about canopy evenness - a few centimetres more or less between the plant and the sun won't make much difference :) I've never had a plant show pre flowers that quickly in veg though.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
You probably keep them properly though, I used to run a perpetual grow in one space, so seedlings were next to newly flowering, which was next to a halfway flowered plant. Everything under between 10/14 and 14/12 lighting. (Some days I get up later than others). Only cuts get 24 hours of light, so that's prob why mine will show at the first chance they get. Now I'm under led (thanks mars) I tend to just do a crop at a time.

Latest posts

Latest posts