Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Security & Legal Issues > You are being tracked on other Cannabis Sites

Thread Title Search
You are being tracked on other Cannabis Sites Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2018, 07:00 PM #1
Skip
Let's Get Small!

Skip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond repute
You are being tracked on other Cannabis Sites

People should be aware that most cannabis websites, esp. those with google tracking are sharing your browsing info with many other companies. Once you've got google or facebook tracking you, they'll record every page you go to on any website with google tracking...

Here's an example of a site that really doesn't care about your privacy - RIU, with 55 trackers just on their home page!

Now, note that ICMag has NO TRACKERS! No google links, no facebook links which compile profiles of your web activity. We use our own ad software, no big companies involved. We don't care about which other sites you visit, so no trackers! But this is just one policy here on ICMag that makes us different from the rest!

Please note that browsers allow you to whitelist websites like ICMag so you can view our (non-tracking) banners. Those that abuse your privacy can be set to block banners and their trackers or don't visit them at all. I noticed that on some websites, they still track you even if you put on strict privacy settings!

"Prohibition is the gateway to fascism." - Treewizard
Skip is offline Quote

25 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:07 PM #2
insomniac_AU

insomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud of
Good to know, thanks!
I try to have as little to do with Google and FB as possible. That's the reason I use Firefox instead of Chrome.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:09 PM #3
ambertrichome

ambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really nice
I just had my account at Mr Nice Hacked, and someone posted a photo, I didnt post. Seems like they may have control of my computer, but I found no Malware ect.
ambertrichome is offline Quote

Old 07-18-2018, 07:21 PM #4
Skip
Let's Get Small!

Skip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambertrichome View Post
I just had my account at Mr Nice Hacked, and someone posted a photo, I didnt post. Seems like they may have control of my computer, but I found no Malware ect.
I've seen this bug in certain software versions when 2 ppl upload images at the same time, the filenames get screwed up. Doubt Mr nice ppl control your computer, lol.

But get this...Tracking software DOES end up controlling what ads you see online.
Some ppl think this is a good thing since it filters ads so you see ones that you're more likely to respond to.

However they also build PSYCHOLOGICAL profiles of you, based upon what you look at, who you communicate with, where you live, your income, etc, etc. This is so they can better target POLITICAL ads on both sides of the political spectrum with PSYCHOLOGICAL WARFARE, such as the Russians have been proven to do, in conjunction with political party operatives in many countries (and the US is guilty of this too!).

So if you want to be PROPAGANDIZED, let all trackers follow you around the web, so that you can see only what THEY WANT YOU TO SEE...
And they've gotten extremely effective as the last US election and Brexit results prove.
To say all this propaganda didn't effect election results is a huge lie, otherwise nobody would bother wasting millions/billions on it.
Skip is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:39 PM #5
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud of
Sooner or later, these marketing companies are going to learn that target marketing doesn't work. Here is an example.......

I wanted to buy a Fury2 vaporizer. I did some searching and immediately found what I wanted and promptly made my purchase. Now, for the SIX WEEKS AFTER I made that purchase, I am still seeing about 85% of my ads coming in for the Fury and the Arizer (which I was comparing against).

So, for the past 6 weeks the company that THOUGHT they were providing me with an ad that I wanted to see, was, in reality, stopping me from seeing any new ads about any new products, whether vaporizer related or not.

Pounding on a customer, insisting that he buy, not taking no for an answer..... all things that today's marketing people must not have learned not to do, yet.

Pissing me off is not the best way to get me to purchase your product or service.

All this tracking and data collection is still new and they have not figured out, yet how to properly utilize it.

Meanwhile, turn it off where you can and ignore the rest. LOL

Old 07-18-2018, 10:43 PM #6
ambertrichome

ambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really niceambertrichome is just really nice
Never said Mr Nice hacked it.

Someone on there did, and I think I know whom.

A guy has been harassing me because Ive recommended some other strains vs Mr Nice, on threads that were asking about other genetics. Hes come after me several times, and was very rude. Ive also been on the forum 2 years longer than him, but he posts more.

But he used My Avatar, and photos from 3 months ago, and posted them in an unrelated topic, with my Avatar, trying to get people mad at me, for putting up other breeders photos ect, in a forum that was asking about Hawaiian x Skunk, which Sk18 aint, and would never get off topic like that.

But someone posted old phots, and used my Avatr, and it posted under my banner.Dont know how he posted using my Avatar Designation I Did It, when I didn't.
ambertrichome is offline Quote

Old 07-19-2018, 12:37 AM #7
Teddybrae
Irresponsible Hermit

Teddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant future
Skip, I have "Privacy Badger" installed with Firefox.

not sure how it works but it does let me know how many trackers are on my tail.

when I looked at a post (same post for a while) here last night the Badger told me there

were 16 trackers!!!

Thanks for being there for us ...

"Human consciousness, at the same time as being a form of Awareness, Sensitivity and Understanding, is also a form of Ignorance.
The ordinary everyday consciousness that we have ... leaves out ... more than it takes in. And because of this it leaves out things that are terribly important. It leaves out things that if we did know them would allay our anxieties, fears and horrors. We would have a deep, interior Peace.

Now ... the question that is absolutely basic for all Human Beings is: What have we left out?

(Allan Watts)
Teddybrae is offline Quote

Old 07-19-2018, 02:45 AM #8
Capt.Ahab
Feeding the ducks with a bun.

Capt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivor
Im seeing zero trackers, according to Ghostery and 5 ads blocked by AdBlocker.
"Mark ye, be forewarned; Ahab's above the common; Ahab's been in colleges, as well as 'mong the cannibals; been used to deeper wonders than the waves; fixed his fiery lance in mightier, stranger foes than whales.'"
Capt.Ahab is offline Quote

Old 07-19-2018, 03:34 AM #9
oldchuck

oldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringodoggie View Post
Sooner or later, these marketing companies are going to learn that target marketing doesn't work. Here is an example.......

I wanted to buy a Fury2 vaporizer. I did some searching and immediately found what I wanted and promptly made my purchase. Now, for the SIX WEEKS AFTER I made that purchase, I am still seeing about 85% of my ads coming in for the Fury and the Arizer (which I was comparing against).

So, for the past 6 weeks the company that THOUGHT they were providing me with an ad that I wanted to see, was, in reality, stopping me from seeing any new ads about any new products, whether vaporizer related or not.

I've noticed this, the same product I just bought being pushed at me on site after site. It makes no sense and certainly can't produce more business. I think the algorithms must be pretty primitive. Amazon does a better job of picking items related to what you just bought but that is all in one house and far from perfect either. Look for continuing improvement for better or worse.
oldchuck is offline Quote

Old 07-19-2018, 03:38 AM #10
Zeez

Zeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond repute
I use Ghostery too and see one here called OpenX.

I'm curious what kind of data could they access here if they hacked, Metadata on photos? IP numbers?
Zeez is online now Quote