Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > First indoor grow space [cheap & improvised]

Thread Title Search
First indoor grow space [cheap & improvised] Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2018, 07:57 PM #1
Sargemilla

Sargemilla is on a distinguished road
First indoor grow space [cheap & improvised]

Hello,

I decided to create a closet for my plant (volume=0.6-0.7 m3, 1.5m tall) and want to know your opinions on my space and improvements idea. I have an old wooden closet that was completely empty and I figured I can put it to good use.
Where I live there are no weed products, nothing is ready for your grow as I often see on these forums where people just buy a kit or a product specifically designed for this... also there are no soils and fertilizers designed for it. So everything that I have to do is improvised

First I coated the closet walls with car windscreen sun shade (or whatever it's called)

The squared hole in the middle is for the ventilator. I bought one for a PC (a very quiet one at 7 dB) because I am also sleeping in this room and noise levels are important. As far as I read I only need to exchange the air every 1-3 minutes (found opinions for both 1 and 3 minutes) and this small and slow ventilator can do this every <1 minute. It has 1 m3 every minute CMM (CFM) and my closet has 0.6-0.7. So I'm covered. I will connect it directly into the wall socket through a 12V charger. The ventilator will only blow air out of the closet. Intake will be passive since it's far, far from completely sealed.
I hope this also solves eventual humidity problems, if not I will buy some silica gel bags and hopefully this will help. If not, the only option left for me would be to just let the closet door open, but that will decrease light levels quite significantly. Any other suggestions?

For lights I will use CFLs as they are the cheapest and keep the lowest temperatures. I will use a holder splitter (from 1 light holder to 5) so I can connect 4 or 5 CFLs

I already bought 5x 23w CFLs @ 6500K and another 4x 23w @ 2700 for flowering period. AFAIK I can get between 0.25 to 1g per watt, which offers me at worst 30grams. I can fit 2 or even 3 plants in my space but one will be enough as the most I can smoke in one month is less than 15g and I will never want to become a dealer. So for now I'll keep only one plant.
CFLs are my best options since you can get a lot of light for low wattage, with 5 of these I will have more than enough light and will only consume a bit over 100w. Temperature is also a big factor since I only have this small air blower and they can keep very low temperature for their high light output.

The holder splitter will be binded with some strong cord so I can freely move it up and down to my needs.

Other support items that I will use are: thermometer with humidity reader and mecahnical programable socket for light schedule. Because I'm paranoid of setting my house on fire I bought an over-voltage protected socket and a live streaming web cam, since there are rare periods of 2-10 days when I'm far away from home.

Everything cost me around $150. I will post some pictures when the space is set and ready to go - probably in less than a week

I have minor concerns about the smell. I have never seen a cannabis plant in my life, not a fully grown one or one in flower stage. Is it that bad? The room is far from my apartment door and I live at the last floor. I don't mind the stench inside my home, but I really mind if it's leaking to any of my neighboors

In conclusion, this post is just to show others my improvised and cheap setup. Maybe it will help to see different solutions for the same goal.
Also there are some questions that maybe you can answer:
Is it safe to keep this setup always ON, even when I'm away? (a friend will have my keys in this case)
Will humidity be a problem?
Are there important things that I completely missed out?
what chemicals should I feed my plants both in veg and in flower? (as I said, there are no cannabis-ready products here)
Is the ventilator enough?
And lastly, do I really need a second ventilator inside, just to mimic a breeze and move the air around?

Thank you!
I'll keep you up to date with my setup and my harvest eventually
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	splitter.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	462596
Sargemilla is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:42 PM #2
Sargemilla

For some reason my image with the coated closet it not in my post even though it was in preview mode.
Here it is:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gx43x42ffa.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	462600

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:05 AM #3
Emperortaima

Emperortaima is a glorious beacon of lightEmperortaima is a glorious beacon of lightEmperortaima is a glorious beacon of lightEmperortaima is a glorious beacon of lightEmperortaima is a glorious beacon of lightEmperortaima is a glorious beacon of lightEmperortaima is a glorious beacon of lightEmperortaima is a glorious beacon of lightEmperortaima is a glorious beacon of lightEmperortaima is a glorious beacon of lightEmperortaima is a glorious beacon of light
Welcome to icmag Sargemilla im subbed for your thread my friend

Bless up

My love for cannabis cannot be put into simple words it is a passion that cannot die - an undying flame!
(RIP JACK HERER THE GREAT HEMPEROR)
-Hemperorsknight/Emperortaima

"Use your martial skill for the good of humanity" -Grandmaster IP

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times" -Bruce Lee

Emperortaima is offline Quote

Old 07-22-2018, 09:42 AM #4
Sargemilla

Thanks Emperortaima, I appreciate it.
Though, I'm quite disappointed having this thread for like 2 weeks and got only 1 reply..
Anyway, I just got my last piece delivered and pretty much completed my setup. Only the carbon filter is missing which I'm going to do next week or next month.. who knows I'm lazy. My plant only has 10 days or so and it doesn't smell for now.

Here's how I plan to do it:

It is as simple as it looks. I hope it works fine

In the end I decided to put a second PC fan inside my closet for the sake of airflow.
Here are some pictures:

Have a good one!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180722_100518.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	463709 Click image for larger version

Name:	20180722_101151.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	463710 Click image for larger version

Name:	crbfilt.png
Views:	20
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	463711

Old 07-22-2018, 10:06 AM #5
Sargemilla

Is there an edit button?
Some thing that I forgot to mention:
- the white suspended thing is a smoke detector
- my temps and humidity stay in 27-29 C @ 45%-55% range which is pretty good considering the conditions

- the other white thing in the upper left is my wifi camera - which I recommend to all growers. I paid $20 for it and I can view my plant wherever I want, whenever I want. Plus it has motion detection in case of sudden light off or light on, intruders or fire.
The plant is ~10 days and it looks very healthy. It's an auto white widow and I made a terrible mistake planting it in a small pot and transplant it later. As I read afterwards, it puts stress on it and it's a no-no for autos. I hope it will do fine after transplant

Old 07-24-2018, 02:01 PM #6
Iamnumber

Iamnumber is on a distinguished road
Hi,

hoping to see build pics on DIY carbon filter and hear how well it works.

reflector addon to your lapholder would be cool.. Metal so it dose not get burned -- atleast close to lapms

what are the dimentions of the cabinet? W and D ? you told the area .. just curious.

good luck and be safe.
Iamnumber is offline Quote

Old 07-25-2018, 08:57 PM #7
Sargemilla

Eventually I decided against my first filter design and I'll do the classic one with double tubes because I figured a way to put a larger filter inside.

W and D are 65x40cm. I can't find anything that's metal, in the right form and light enough. I looked a lot for something similar in home&garden markets. But I will put aluminum tape to reflect better.

My auto white widow is looking really good and healthy. I transplanted it 2 days ago and it's already recovered. I actually thought it would take more than 4 days. I see her very bushy and short, which is something that I value for the moment.

How does it look to you for a 13-15 days gal?

I am also out of weed. Could be weeks until I find something to buy

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180725_214637.jpg
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	464130 Click image for larger version

Name:	20180725_214650.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	464131

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:46 AM #8
Iamnumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargemilla View Post
. I can't find anything that's metal, in the right form and light enough. I looked a lot for something similar in home&garden markets. But I will put aluminum tape to reflect better.

Well.. with anything with structural strength you would need tools for cutting to make hole and cutaway extras.

How about those auminium trays from ready made lasagne boxes? they would be bit flimsy but correct folding at edges would make them rigid enough (I hope).

Cutting with scissors .. folding with ruler and hand.. joining with stabler..
true getho style .. I guess white paint would give better reflection ..

Old 07-28-2018, 10:44 AM #9
Sargemilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnumber View Post
How about those auminium trays from ready made lasagne boxes? they would be bit flimsy but correct folding at edges would make them rigid enough (I hope).
Dude!!! That was an amazing idea
I already bought 8 of them and will make it soon. Thanks!

I also started my carbon filter but halfway through I finished all my activated carbon and have to wait until they ship me my order. I will put pictures here once it's done.
Btw, do you think a PC fan would work on it? It has around 2 m3 per minute capacity and my space is 0.7m3. I really don't want a normal fan because of the noise.. please work

Old 07-29-2018, 10:27 AM #10
Iamnumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargemilla View Post
Dude!!! That was an amazing idea
I already bought 8 of them and will make it soon. Thanks!

I also started my carbon filter but halfway through I finished all my activated carbon and have to wait until they ship me my order. I will put pictures here once it's done.
Btw, do you think a PC fan would work on it? It has around 2 m3 per minute capacity and my space is 0.7m3. I really don't want a normal fan because of the noise.. please work

You are welcome mate!

I really do not know.. I did look into this and considered /still considering for 'light' air filtering.

It (to best of my understaning) boils down to these facts.
1) the carbon must be packed dense. otherwise there is a risk of large air tunnels that will allow odors to pass.
2) pc fans have a limited capacity to produce air pressure. They do move air but I fear they do not have strength to push/pull it through dense filter.

having 2 pc fans ( one right after another) will produce more air pressure (and more noise!). I think corsair sell this type of setup for pc aircooling. They had lab measured stats for their setup.

Cheap way to test is to use cheap old ones to proof of consept ( I really like the ideology of re-purposing used items for a second life ). they are noisier than new ones and likely poorer bearings (= will break down sooner).

backing up a bit..
Putting facts 1 & 2 together mean that this setup is greatly dependent on the filter. How dense, thick and what area. They factor into filtering capacity and lifespan of filter.

I opted to throw money to solve the problem as it was the prudent course of action for me. I now have alternative use where lower level of filtration is acceptable so this option is back on the table.