What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Khabib Nurmagomedov

Joint Lock

Khabib Nurmagomedov

Khabib Nurmagomedov is a Russian retired professional mixed martial artist. He is signed to the Ultimate Fighting Championship where he is the reigning UFC Lightweight Champion. With 29 wins and no losses, retired with an undefeated record, on 3rd spot for the longest undefeated streak in UFC.

Defeated Justin G in his last fight today

Hopefully he mourns his father with retirement .

So long Khabib enjoyed your career over the years

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Yep. He doesn't sound like the kinda guy who would come back from retirement for one or two big paychecks after a while. Guy takes his family, country and religion very seriously, which can be good and bad. This case I'd say it's good. Bad when he let Conor McGregor (and crew) get to him at UFC 223 and 229.

In his post-fight interview, Nurmagomedov announced his retirement from mixed martial arts. He explained that he had promised his mother that he would not continue to fight without his late father;

"No way I’m going to come here without my father. It was first time after what happened with my father, when UFC called me about Justin, I talk with my mother three days. She doesn’t want me to go fight without my father but I promised her it was going to be my last fight. If I give my word, I have to follow this. It was my last fight here.”

I'd imagine he is walking away from considerable UFC money with this decision. But then again, if you're not gonna keep a promise you made to your momma.. Yep.

Respect :tiphat:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
A man without integrity, is nothing more than a boy.

That being said I would have liked to see how far he could have went undefeated. That guy had skills coming out of his ears. I would have liked to see him fight Nate Diaz, coined as BMF in the UFC. "Sorry Nate, I think Khabib would have taught you a lesson or two". Technique and fists of stone!

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
His mother might just want to limit damage to her son and also keep him home, and using the father as a reason to give. No reason Khabib can not fight without his father, he may be using his mother's wishes to do what he wanted anyways.

He has quit fighting before. He is rich by Dagestan standards or just in general, no real need for more money. His father had him wrestling a bear as a child so training all the stages of life. Might have just had enough of the work involved plus damage to the body. He is away from his wife during training and fighting, so another reason to quit.

He also is tired of all the attention he receives for being a champion fighter. So really, lots of reasons to quit.

M

member 505892

'Apparently' he might consider coming back if he can matchup against GSP.... it was his fathers dream matchup and he also dreamed of Khabib reaching 30-0.

See what happens....

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
'Apparently' he might consider coming back if he can matchup against GSP.... it was his fathers dream matchup and he also dreamed of Khabib reaching 30-0.

See what happens....
That would be an interesting match-up of course. It would have to be one hell of a purse, to bring them both out or retirement!

M

member 505892

That would be an interesting match-up of course. It would have to be one hell of a purse, to bring them both out or retirement!

I think GSP says he's interested if it can be 165lb rather than 155lb.

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would have been nice to see Khabib vs Royce Gracie.
Just like seeing Ali vs Tyson,when they were both in their prime.
Have to respect Khabibs skills on the ground for sure,he's a human anaconda

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ Khabib was doing at least as well as Gaethje on the feet. I got the feeling Khabib could walk thru Gaethje's shots, or least most of them. I do not remember Conor rocking him with strikes either. I am sure if a perfect strike was landed Khabib would at least be rocked if not ko'd.

There is something to be said for going out on top.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
GSP does have to cut weight to get to 165, he last competed at 185 and won all his other titles at 170lb.

He wants 165 because he thinks that's as low as he can healthily go.
Didn't know that. I thought he always was a welterweight (165-70#) Who did he fight @ 185?

Bmac1

Veteran
He took the belt from Bisping and retired again. GSP used to (maybe still does) walk around at 185-190 when not in fight camp.

They all cut weight, some more than others. if you are watching a welterweight fight (170lbs) it is safe to say that the 2 guys in the cage on fight night are between 180 and 190lbs.

I'd like to see weight cutting done away with all together. A 170lb champ should be within a couple lbs of 170 and not just for an hour before he steps on the scale. Not to mention how much better the performance of some fighters could be if they didn't put themselves on deaths door 24 hours before combat.

Bmac1

Veteran
Would have been nice to see Khabib vs Royce Gracie.
Just like seeing Ali vs Tyson,when they were both in their prime.
Have to respect Khabibs skills on the ground for sure,he's a human anaconda

If you want an idea of what Khabib vs Royce would look like, check out the Matt Hughes vs Royce Gracie fight.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
He took the belt from Bisping and retired again. GSP used to (maybe still does) walk around at 185-190 when not in fight camp.

They all cut weight, some more than others. if you are watching a welterweight fight (170lbs) it is safe to say that the 2 guys in the cage on fight night are between 180 and 190lbs.

I'd like to see weight cutting done away with all together. A 170lb champ should be within a couple lbs of 170 and not just for an hour before he steps on the scale. Not to mention how much better the performance of some fighters could be if they didn't put themselves on deaths door 24 hours before combat.
I hear ya good buddy :)