What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weed growin vs Political moanin

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Brother I'm here to learn and discuss cannabis. :D

Yes, I have political positions but I dont come here for that but it does draw me in when I see it but if I didnt see it I wouldn't look for it.

OTOH I'd think that much of the BS is 'stoked' by ICMAG shillls whos job it is to keep post count$ up.

How about a toggle that directs me/us to only weed threads and another pointing to political threads. By direction of a moderator.

I know this will go no wheere but I'll go on record for wanting it to happen. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I have to agree that the hate and anger have gone out of control in the non-pot threads around here. Gypsy will say it's nice that people can express their opinions in a free and open forum but it's not a discussion and they are not opinions. It's hate, anger and pure ugliness. It's what the world is today. All hate, brought on by the media. Look at the thread about masks. Nothing but hate for the opposing opinions from both sides.

I have killed dozens of people. Maybe hundreds. Men, women, children. I shot a guy in the chest 3 times once, because he kicked a stray dog. In a bar in Bangkok I shot a guy right in the face simply because he dared me to. I spent 18 months in a camp as a guest of charlie where I was beaten and tortured every single fucking day.

NEVER through ALL of that did I feel the hate and anger that I see in a simple internet forum discussing the in and outs of wearing a mask to prevent the spread of disease.

You humans are unfuckingbelievable. When will you learn that if you don't love your fellow man, it just ain't gonna work. I killed for money, not out of hate. You people are all worse that I ever was in my worst day.

/rant

T

TakenByTheSky

The sheer volume of political BS is basically why I don't spend much time on here. The best way to make an enemy of a friend is to bring up politics or religion.

Ive been an off and on member here since 2007, I feel the community here was much closer during those years that politics was a banned subject.

superx

Veteran
All the trump threads are making me violently ill, I can't seem to help myself from clicking on them.
I usually come away feeling quite disoriented....

Maybe I should seek help...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I catch myself typing a reply on a thread, and scroll up to check if it was in the speakers forum. If so, I delete and sneak out before anyone notices me there. Look at the "new posts" tab, and most are in the speaker's corner.

This wuflu thing has been so effective because it plays on people's fear of the unknown. The media, in their desperate gambit to get rid of Trump, has played it to the max. People still believe the media for some reason, so they are falling for it.

I now ONLY watch news to see the local weather lies. I see the divisiveness in people at one of the little local beer bars. They will all be crowded into a corner of the bar, so it is easier to talk. Bartender (owner) is sitting there in the inside of the corner, all huddled up like so many lobsters in a cave. They all lit into me about how real this wuflu is, how the .guv is fixing to shut down little bars like that again. I argue that they are all close together and could all be catching right there. No good, so I leave and go to the other little beer bar in the area. More a Trump place. No fear of masks, no BS.

The country is divided on such a BS thing as masks. That fookin foochie is behind this.

The dam in china is a much bigger deal IMO. 2020 is a year they will probably remove from their calendar.

insomniac_AU

I haven't been around for a while and it doesn't look like things have improved. I steer well clear of those types of threads because to me they're pointless. Nothing ever gets resolved, no one's opinions ever change. The sad part is it's likely good people with a lot to offer have either been banned because they got swept up in one of these threads or have left the forum because of them. Aren't there enough people to argue with on Twitter about this sort of stuff? Do we really need to argue in here as well with our brothers and sisters? :grouphug:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
The only ones upset about political threads are likely trump supporters.

Wah wah wah. Don't talk about what a train wreck our bad actor is......

Complaining about a political thread and you create one. Other pot forums have whole sections devoted to politics.
Talking openly and freely brought about legalization. More politics.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- simple - just don't click on a thread - if the title has anything to do with what might be stressing you out - others want to talk about whatever - and if its not your 'cup-of-tea' - then find a thread that is - and if you can't find any thread at all that appeals to you - then maybe ICMAG is not for you -

- We have many types of forum here - where you can discuss anything from Golf to pets to advanced lighting for growing - and many other forums - all are voluntary to read or participate in -

- Getting all bent out of shape over what other people want to discuss - seems odd -

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Thanks for explaining your "handle". I see it now.

<Tend to our own gardens and stop eyeing the weeds in the neighbors field.>

LOL, I just bush hogged yesteray in 95 heat, about 4 ac of weeds in the field adjacent to me. It is too low to plant, so he doesn't, and it gets full of weeds and now trees. Farmer who rents the land won't mow it, so I do. Looks good now. I should buy that 20 ac.

If not for all the bugs, it would make a good guerella grow spot I think. Surrounded by corn 10' tall right now. Problem is, they cut down the corn before the plants would be ready.

Last edited:

'Boogieman'

I have to agree that the hate and anger have gone out of control in the non-pot threads around here. Gypsy will say it's nice that people can express their opinions in a free and open forum but it's not a discussion and they are not opinions. It's hate, anger and pure ugliness. It's what the world is today. All hate, brought on by the media. Look at the thread about masks. Nothing but hate for the opposing opinions from both sides.

I have killed dozens of people. Maybe hundreds. Men, women, children. I shot a guy in the chest 3 times once, because he kicked a stray dog. In a bar in Bangkok I shot a guy right in the face simply because he dared me to. I spent 18 months in a camp as a guest of charlie where I was beaten and tortured every single fucking day.

NEVER through ALL of that did I feel the hate and anger that I see in a simple internet forum discussing the in and outs of wearing a mask to prevent the spread of disease.

You humans are unfuckingbelievable. When will you learn that if you don't love your fellow man, it just ain't gonna work. I killed for money, not out of hate. You people are all worse that I ever was in my worst day.

/rant

I worked in a prison and I honestly see more hate here in the political threads. I'm weird though, I could care less what some internet stranger thinks, and because of that I find myself posting in the threads often.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All the trump threads are making me violently ill, I can't seem to help myself from clicking on them.
I usually come away feeling quite disoriented....

Maybe I should seek help...

Yeah, me too. Or incorrect facts on COVID which is mimicked by DJT. Yikes!

White Beard

Ironic to see overtly political posts in a thread about how political posts damage the site.

For an OTOH view, threads in the Speakers’ Corner have toughened me up, helped me learn to build better arguments, and given me real insight into the nature of the crowd on each side of the divide. I don’t necessarily *like* the haranguing, personal attacks, and outright incoherence that does manifest, but I feel like it’s made me a more effective communicator, a better writer, and more comfortable with my perspective on things social/political...not that I think I’ve persuaded anyone of anything, but there ya go...I’ve certainly learned a lot, and I continue to learn a lot every day. There are plenty of genuinely brilliant and funny people here with wide-ranging interests, and that pleases me greatly.

I love IC. I’d still love it if there were no political conversations (or drive-by bashings) allowed at all. Not interested in silencing anyone...and not interested in being silenced...but that’s overall - not an IC thing IMO. Some might not believe it, but the bulk of my time here is spent OUTSIDE the Den and the Corner: this place is invaluable - hope no one decides they have to change my mind about that.

Big thank-you, Gypsy, for all you’ve done here.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
The only ones upset about political threads are likely trump supporters.

Wah wah wah. Don't talk about what a train wreck our bad actor is......

Complaining about a political thread and you create one. Other pot forums have whole sections devoted to politics.
Talking openly and freely brought about legalization. More politics.
This thread is NOT in the speakers corner... go back there.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Ironic to see overtly political posts in a thread about how political posts damage the site.

For an OTOH view, threads in the Speakers’ Corner have toughened me up, helped me learn to build better arguments, and given me real insight into the nature of the crowd on each side of the divide. I don’t necessarily *like* the haranguing, personal attacks, and outright incoherence that does manifest, but I feel like it’s made me a more effective communicator, a better writer, and more comfortable with my perspective on things social/political...not that I think I’ve persuaded anyone of anything, but there ya go...I’ve certainly learned a lot, and I continue to learn a lot every day. There are plenty of genuinely brilliant and funny people here with wide-ranging interests, and that pleases me greatly.

I love IC. I’d still love it if there were no political conversations (or drive-by bashings) allowed at all. Not interested in silencing anyone...and not interested in being silenced...but that’s overall - not an IC thing IMO. Some might not believe it, but the bulk of my time here is spent OUTSIDE the Den and the Corner: this place is invaluable - hope no one decides they have to change my mind about that.

Big thank-you, Gypsy, for all you’ve done here.
I'm not saying silence anyone, give me an avenue so I can at least not have to deal with those that want to build their 'conversational skills'. Go back to school.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
You're one of the shills.

Be unhappy, call people names, and tell them where to go. Good job.

It's really about putting in and helping people improve their growing skills here.
The politics are just a distraction while the weed grows.

Have you offered up anything that helped make the growing world a better place or raised the bar? Anything really excellent? Or, are you just nagging.

Personally, this 'Schill' has several offerings on helping people growing and a handful of subjects that might be top of the heap in their subject areas on ICMag.

Here's one for "Weed Growin".
Design and construction of a ridge vent that eliminates 95% of fan usage in a hoop house while maintaining ambient temps.
giphy.gif

White Beard

I'm not saying silence anyone, give me an avenue so I can at least not have to deal with those that want to build their 'conversational skills'. Go back to school.

Sorry, didn’t realize you were in charge: I accused you of nothing at all...didn’t even imply it. I simply expressed myself on the topic: was under the impression I could do that