What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chevy's blumatized organic soil LED mini grow

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
day27 update

day27 update

Here's an update from day 27 of flower
We're getting there in the main flower compartment

Here's a developing bud of the Blueberry

Since the soil is already depleted from the first round, I keep giving them a good hand watering of biobizz nutes once a week and the rest is water only through the blumats.

The little ones have been on 12/12 for just under 2 weeks now

The Strawberry Lemonade just died mid germination (empty pot) and I have germed a new seed which you can see in the front.
and the gorilla zkittles seedling somehow got severely stunted at the same time but seems to be still alive. However it's not showing any signs of growth at all...
So weird, it looks like they just lost the will to live???

Take care everyone!
CC

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
DAy 31

DAy 31

Update day 31 of flower.
Here we go

Smells are getting real nice on the Blueberry and the sour Blueberry with the SB slightly behind the BB in development

A BB bud

And one from the SB

Had to blumatise the two JH, AG and Auto Diesel

And also did the Strawberry Lemonade (back) and the Gorilla Zkittles who seems to be recovering from the period of stunting but still looks mighty weird

I have already blumatised a number of seedlings before, but none were this small. The heat mat is still on to help them grow some proper roots asap.

So far so good, stay safe.
CC

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Hey whats up Chevy? I am just about to set up some living soil beds and through some blumat bed watering systems in there and let her rip. i am doing a side by side of coco vs living soil. the coco will be on drippers and the soil will be on blumats on a pressurized system. should be fun!

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Harvest!

Harvest!

Hello everybody,
I have harvested the Blueberry and the Sour Blueberry today.
Had been travelling again and just got back last weekend and they were both pretty much ready. It's been 54 days of 12/12, but they had an extremely fast onset of flowring as it was the second time they have flowered after having been revegged.

83% rh is not good at all!
But somehow my organic soil grows have never suffered form mold or anything and my rh is always waaay to high against what's considered optimal. Knocking on wood(my head).

Here's a bud of the BB

And this one's the SB

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Harvest!

Harvest!

I also have a couple more plants flowering in one of the small vertical compartments. Pretty crowded in the there but they will move to the main compartment as soon as the harvest is dried

The strawberry lemonade has waaay overtaken the gorilla zkittles.
I think it might be too wet, so I closed the blumat another half mark. Let's see

Experimenting a bit here.
Whole plant drying in a mini set up hahaha.
Given the humidity right now I might be asking for trouble, but what the heck I'm giving it a try.
I have put the dehuey in the room that should help to keep things in check.

So far so good
stay safe!
CC

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jarring and curing

Jarring and curing

The plants are dry and I have jarred them to see where we are and if burping of the jars will be necessary.

Here's the whole plant hang dried Sour Blueberry

Blueberry and Sour Blueberry each filled one of my big jars, now everything is curing at just under 60% rh. It will probably climb until tomorrow and then I'll start the burping process.
But I have a good feeling for the drying process, so they won't be far off 60%

When flowered out and I want to reveg a plant, this is what I do:
I leave one small shoot with buds, prune the roots hard and give them lots of worm castings. I'm transplanting the blumats along with the plants.

The JH was up potted to a 3gal fabric pot along with the other JH, the AG and the AD.
Again I simply transplant the blumat along with everything else.

All the best
CC

Last edited:

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Update

Update

Been away for a bit longer than planned, but all ticking along nicely in the tent.

The Auto Diesel, two Jack Herrers (front left and back right) and the Acapulco Gold have packed on some weight abd by calendar they should be done by now (10weeks) but somehow they aren't ready yet. Will give them another week or two, let's see.

The smells on both are really nice, the auto diesel beeing the fruitiest. The JH gave that typical JH smell with a hint of carrots and I can already tell that burning the weed once harvested will have that heavy haze church frankincense smell.
All in all I have to say that most JH from seed has been pretty consistent over the last years. Some plants were outstanding/ and were lost of course in the process sadly, but they were all pretty uniform in the smell and taste departments...I would have thought that such great but by now also staple genetics would be more mixed up and not the real thing anymore etc...

Well what do you know... a positive surprise

Cheers
CC

In the preparation for the next round after that are the Strawberry LEmonade and the freak mutant Zkittles that was such a runt from seed.
They we're left in their tiny seedling pots until a few days ago and I cut the SL back as it had grown a fair bit into the lights. That's what must have been a triple topping by now, looking for a bush.
At least the SL has become N deficient by now and after repotting I'll pamper the two until the others clear the flower compartment before I will flip these two as well.

Blumats holding up strong, res. was still 1/4 full when I got back after three weeks.

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Day 80 Update Harvest

Day 80 Update Harvest

Today the Acapulco Gold and the two Jack Herer plants came down.

I'm still not sure what is going on, they should be well done at around 60 days but no amber trichomes and all except for the JH#1 kept pushing new pistils.
Anyways, to day they had to come down, they're fat and juicy and now drying whole plants upside down again, really liked the results last time.

I had them under 10/14 the last ten days to speed up, whatever was taking them so long I don't know...
After having sorted the slight glowing of the panel even at lights off, there's a chance the veg timed light in the other compartment was getting through to them, slowing flowering down...
I also had the dehuey running 24/7 for the last ten days to help with the high rh around here.

This is the AG with the Auto Diesel in the back.

The Auto Diesel still needs a bit longer, I'm guessing two weeks roughly.

Soil has been recycled and is stored for the next round.

All the best,
CC

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Verdant!
The Blueberry also smokes really nice I can say by now. First really funny up high and then you go to bed hahaha.
The Sour Blueberry is still a bit stroppy and needs more time to cure and mellow out a bit.

Can you believe that I'm actually growing an Auto right now? None of yours sadly, but a different kind of grow experience. Not unhappy about it. This Auto Diesel has turned into one phallic cola and it'S now still flowering with the recently flipped Zkittles and the strawberry lemonade.
Cheers
CC

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Update Curing

Update Curing

Hey hey,
Jarred the buds after 5 days of drying at around 55% rh with the help of a dehuey.
I know people say never use a dehumidifier to dry your buds but at over 80% ambient rh, there is no way around it.
I use a portable one and just keep it running in the same room my tent is in with the door to the room slightly open for fresh CO2.
Here we go, a bit of JH left and right and the Acapulco Gold harvest in the middle all curing now. The JH on the right in the smaller jar is still the wettest so gets a bit of extra air time.

Put a screen in and in the back left you can see the Auto Diesel maturing.
It should be done by now but it's still growing new white pistils.

I have test smoked the uncured JH#2 and the Acapulco Gold.
Not sure if I took them too early maybe but the AG feels a bit like a shot of rocket fuel and the JH is a bit the same but also your body is stoned.

The AG has a herbal and lemony taste and smell, a bit like a popular hand washing gel, the JH is full frankincense church smell and tastes like BUBBLEGUM!

I have been searching for bubblegum for ages and while this taste here is not as strong as the real bubblegum, it's way closer than all the "bubblegum" strains I have grown in the past from various seedbanks looking for the real thing.

Cheers and stay safe
CC

Rico Swazi

Agree with the others Chevy, great thread. Smiled when I read you feel peace among the plants, growing for you is a form of meditation. So true brother. The harvest is gravy

Jack is my all time favorite rocket fuel. Yours looks really good. Bubblegum, interesting. Looking at what you have done in that small space makes me want to give indoor a try since housebound for the foreseeable future.

Cheers

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rico... thanks for stopping by.
Yes it is highly meditative. I take my time with the plants but this organic soil style of growing is almost too hands off for me hahaha.
60X60cm can be a whole lot of canopy for a single person!
Hope your houseboundness is not due to illness, but, yeah, try indoors. The requirements are minimal and equipment for small scale is cheap!

I wish I could do outdoors again... it's been a long time.

Best of luck
CC

Rico Swazi

Been a long time for indoors for me and yeah, having a lump taken out of the ball of my foot soon and will be off it for a minute. Tidying up the garden before I do.

Cool thing about the way you are growing is having more time to enjoy the growing process, nothing better to while away the hours conferring with the flowers ya know?

Did you say you are still using the off the shelf lighting in another area? I'm not looking to spend a bunch but may have a go at those blumats in the future if I can ever leave the house as the wife wants to travel to see friends this next year.

Cheers and wishing you the best

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
True, I sometimes have nothing to do for my grow and sit with the plants with doors open and lights on. Always bring a hat and some shades, damn those things are bright... probably not the best for skin and/or eyes without protection.

I'm using 4 of the SILs in the little upper veg compartment but not in the flower compartment at the moment. I was always struggling a bit with proper distribution (without building a proper fixture that is, I'm lazy). Tried all kinds of crazy contraptions to get the bulbless lamps spread out more evenly (check out the octopus I built at some point hahaha) but wasn't happy with any of them. Then I found the panel I'm using now and it's cleaner and less stuff dangling about and the price was reasonable.
Other than that they're brilliant but I do recommend to build some kind of simple fixture to spread them out over the full canopy...
Cheers
CC

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Update flowering

Update flowering

Hi all,
Another meditative post and update from the LED lit camping area.
Both plants ( Barney's Gorilla Zkittlez in the back and Strawberry Lemonade in the front) are just shy of 3 weeks into flower.

The GZ seems to be doing fine with the remaining nutes in the medium, but the SL looked hella hungry so I've fed her some biobizz nutes (bio grow and bloom, top max, bio heaven and activera).
Love the blumats in this set up, they keep the plants watered and you can just hand water-in some nutes any time and the blumat rolls with it and takes over again afterwards. They're really great once set up right.

Temps are around 18C lights off and 23C lights on and rh is between 50-60%. Trying to get that VPD right using heater cables in the flower compartment and a dehuey in the room with the tent blowing in the direction of the tent's passive intake.

CC

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
3,5 weeks in this is how it's looking.
Some trichs starting to show and first smells are exuded.
The Gorilla Zkittles has the smell oh yeah.
The Strawberry Lemonade in the front is not smelling just as much but starting to slowly.

Toying around a bit I thought about topdressing with Blumats so I top dressed some bat guano right where the drip hits, let's see if it can add something beneficial.

While I was doing some stuff next to the tent the circulating fan went!
The small ones I has laying around were all broken (Aha! now I know why I was not using them anymore) so had to slightly over the top with a honey well fan from previous larger grows...

Take care
CC

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Hello brother! Looking great so far!
May I ask how far from the plant tips are you keeping your light?

Latest posts

Latest posts