What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why cut nitrogen before taking cuts?

Betterhaff

Veteran
I've heard the opposite too, taking cuts from the bottom as opposed to the top of the plant. The reasoning is there are higher concentrations of growth inhibiting auxins at the apical point but many times I top plants and root the tops with little problem.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
N inhibits K

Edit: That probably needs a little more..
That last feed should be low to promote roots. It's beneficial if you reduce N in that last feed to allow a higher ratio of K to be taken on. Often people will use flower feed rather than grow to achive this.

Nair, I don't do it either. I'm happy to use grow food with Nitric acid at a normal ec. Rooting into coco that's fed around 2/3rds as strong (ec1ish)

SuperBadGrower

This is my theory: Guy needs to take 200 cuttings -> snips the leaves to put them closer together in a tray -> 200 snipped plants in tray domes -> pictures make their way to grow forums -> people start to make up bs like "snipping the leaf forces the plant to go into rooting mode" when in reality it's just to save space
Bro science all of it

As for the rest.
Vegetative propagation of cannabis by stem cuttings: effects of leaf number, cutting position, rooting hormone, and leaf tip removal
https://cdnsciencepub.com/doi/full/10.1139/cjps-2018-0038

its old news that removing the leaf tips reduces success rate

If you want take good cuts, take them from a good mom. how do you get a good mom, give it the good food. Why cut something out? Totally counter intuitive.
The effect of putting pure rooting hormones on them will completely marginalize something like that anyway.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
yeah moses! i remember that also :),
always take cuts from the bottom because i believed they were the most likely to root but have been told recently to totally ensure cuts are pathogen free then cuts need to be taken from the top of the plant?
why?,,i cant remember but hopefully someone will chime in,,s2

Theory is that if you have a systemic infection, it will take time for that infection to spread to new growth, so a fast growing plant may be infection free at the newest growth. Though I don't think its about where the branches start, more about taking small cuttings from the tips of the branch so its the very newest growth.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
This is my theory: Guy needs to take 200 cuttings -> snips the leaves to put them closer together in a tray -> 200 snipped plants in tray domes -> pictures make their way to grow forums -> people start to make up bs like "snipping the leaf forces the plant to go into rooting mode" when in reality it's just to save space
Bro science all of it

As for the rest.
Vegetative propagation of cannabis by stem cuttings: effects of leaf number, cutting position, rooting hormone, and leaf tip removal
https://cdnsciencepub.com/doi/full/10.1139/cjps-2018-0038

its old news that removing the leaf tips reduces success rate

If you want take good cuts, take them from a good mom. how do you get a good mom, give it the good food. Why cut something out? Totally counter intuitive.
The effect of putting pure rooting hormones on them will completely marginalize something like that anyway.

Interesting article with nothing outstandingly wrong. It would of been nice to see them put a couple another chemical in the trial and a control that had no chemicals. I have found organic gels lower the success rate by a 'oh bollox, take some more' proportion

Latest posts

Latest posts