What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

List of different Soil Mixes---Soil Directory

corwinlame

Awesome, this is really one of the best and informative content to all users. The List you have been shared of different soil mixes is might be useful specially for growers.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like it simple and mine is as easy as it gets.

Ffof or other quality organic soil mix, Kellogg's, Black Gold, etc. Add chunky perlite at around 20% and ewc at 10%. This is the veg mix and I put the seeds into it, so not too hot. The ewc and perlite is optional btw.

When I up pot for flower I use the same mix but add Rainbow Bloom Mix, 2 tbsp per gallon of soil. This contains bat and bird guano, bone meal, kelp, and some other organic stuff.

I just water with ph controlled water and have had no problems at all. I would rather pay someone to mix up a bunch of things for a ready made soil, than do it myself. Works well enough.

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Amazing post Joe!
Truly useful, informative post. Many thanks for the effort involved in putting it all together and posting - kudos.
Stay safe

Gimpy23

Great thread thanks!! One question about using the Earth Juice lineup?? Would you give your container plants ( 5 gal) that mixture of fertilizers "every" time you water or every other time??

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
Great thread thanks!! One question about using the Earth Juice lineup?? Would you give your container plants ( 5 gal) that mixture of fertilizers "every" time you water or every other time??

when in soil i always like to feed every 3rd waterig, so "water water feed water water feed...ect)...i do the same in promix, with great results

noWon

Hi guys, :wave:

I am attempting to brew some guano tea again and I got a little confused on the recipe. Probably doesnt matter that much but if I could get some clarification I would appreciate the input.

The guano tea recipe I am trying is
RECIPE #3 (My favorite)
If you want to use guano tea and kelp...

Veg mix-
1/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano (PSG)
1/3 cup High N Bat Guano (Mexican)
1/3 cup Earth Worm Castings (EWC)
5 tsp. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
5 tbs. Liquid Karma
5 tbs. Black Strap Molasses
@ 1-cup mix/5 gallons of water every 3rd watering.

The confusion I am having is from another thread in the organic soil section which is very similar to this recipe except for the tsp vs tbs for molasses and also the powdered kelp and liquid seaweed.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=53792

I would like to know as I am using Maxicrop liquid seaweed if I use tablesppons or teaspoons and also the same info for molasses tbs or tsp?

I really hope this makes sense and you can see where my confusion is coming from.

Another question I have about tea brewing, Do I brew just the guano first and then add the seaweed and molasses after 24 hrs or do I add all the ingredients and brew for 24 hrs?

Finally do I need to add a heat mat or heater to the water? If so what is the optimum temp to brew the tea.

Sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere I just couldnt find it.

Thanks

noWon

DemonTrich

Veteran
awesome thread. gonna try the ffof, ff original, ff light warrior and add some perlite to the mix for my newb grow. seems like its a simple enough recipe to try out on clones.

whn i finally get all my crap together and turn on the lights. hoping in the next 30 days.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Here's my soil mix im running. got sick of the rising cost of sunshine pro mix #4 so I have bought the peat and perlite separate and saved a bundle. You have to hand mix your ingredients in anyhow so you might as well pay 1/3 and buy perlite/peat ingredients separate.

3 bales @ 3 cubic foot each peat moss
6 c.f. bag Perlite
3 20 Liter bags worm castings
3 20 Liter bags mushroom compost
25 gallons wood chips
3 Liters blood meal
6 Liters bone meal
3 Liters Kelp meal
6 Liters green sand
3 liters rock phosphate
3 liters dolomite lime
1 liter granulated lime
3 liters oyster shell
3 liters AG Bokashi

here's a random seed mix i found online that i take no credit for

seedling mix: 1 part wormshit, 1 part lava rock (fine crushed, the floating kind), 4 parts shredded coconut husks. Edit And one or two parts rice or buckwheat hulls or coarse sand they improve germination rate

PER GALLON add 1.5 tablespoons kelp meal, and 1/4 cup of pure Calcium carbonate, as well as 1/2 cup basaltic/glacial rock dust or clay (azomite etc.). Adding rock dust or clay is essential to provide microbial anchors which defend the seed from attack from any fungus or pathogen, and it should screen through a 200 mesh screen (or 150).

the kelp at this ratio is not a fertilizer, it moistens the soil and feeds the microbes. for best effect, make sure the soil you cover the seeds with is screened so the seed will not trap under a piece of husk or rock. Also, I add the endomycorrhiza spores to the soil and moisten it with aloe vera before planting.

for a full charge, transplant soil i mix all my amendments in a bucket and throw 8 cups per CF into a base mix of 1 part compost, 1 lava rock or buckwheat hulls, and 5 parts coconut husks.

The amendment list is diverse but it doesn't include too many by products from factory farms and crops that are known to be heavily sprayed with chemicals.

4 cup non-GMO alfalfa meal or any high nitrogen grass/hay (borage, nettles, symphytum, equicetum etc)
2 cup neem meal (the by product of neem oil press)
2 cup kelp meal
2 cup crushed crustaceans (150 mesh sieve)
5 cup pure calcium carbonate
3 cups gypsum
4 cups ecotrac biochar
16-20 cups of rock dust or clay (basalt, glacial, azomite, etc)

mix the amendments thoroughly in the bucket and then add i add a couple cups of water and it usually clumps up, which is better than dust flying every where when i take the lid off IMO.

about 8-12 cups of the amendment mix PER CF of the base soil.

to mix the amendments into the soil I ususally start the pile a tarp and thus roll the pile around a couple times, before storing in bins, it is important to leave it alone to allow the fungus to begin to develop, so I will put the soil in the plants final containers and throw out a cover crop of clover and alfalfa to help start the process. My ambient temperatures are usually cool so the soil does not heat up too much and it will be ready for planting your cannabis in several weeks.

I do it on a tarp after the soil is mixed it needs to rest a few weeks on account of the alfalfa.

Nice recipe, how much lime per cf should I add? Do the calcium in other amendments count toward liming? What' ag Bokashi?

Here's my soil mix im running. got sick of the rising cost of sunshine pro mix #4 so I have bought the peat and perlite separate and saved a bundle. You have to hand mix your ingredients in anyhow so you might as well pay 1/3 and buy perlite/peat ingredients separate.

3 bales @ 3 cubic foot each peat moss
6 c.f. bag Perlite
3 20 Liter bags worm castings
3 20 Liter bags mushroom compost
25 gallons wood chips
3 Liters blood meal
6 Liters bone meal
3 Liters Kelp meal
6 Liters green sand
3 liters rock phosphate
3 liters dolomite lime
1 liter granulated lime
3 liters oyster shell
3 liters AG Bokashi

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Bokashi is fermented rice hulls. You can make it yourself cheap and easy I am told, But I have never attempted it as this is my first try with it and not sure if I buy it yet. It is made locally. It is a microbial inoculant for soil. Different than worm castings promote.

Here is the address:
http://wardswonderdirt.com/wardswonderdirt.com/Agriculture.html

My soil mixing is a little unorthodox and never the same. I measure using a large coffee can so I measure in liters. To figure out how many cups per cubic foot you have to find out how many cups in a liter roughly. All these soil mixes are just fine on this thread. Mine can be an economical route. Notice I use no guanos. Guanos must come from far off and the shits expensive. I stay away from it and coco as well. They dont farm coconuts in these parts. Locally sourced stuff is the way to go. We got lots of blood and bones in america. As for the greensand it comes from the east coast and has bang for your buck. Micronutrients galore. It breaks down steadily over a long period. If you reuse soil over and over this is the shit. 18$ for 50 pounds, east coast gotta be cheap. As for the Rock phosphate first time using it. Heard some crap about it being radioactive. Okay, whatever.......this year its BIO's Bubonic Chronic'. LOL. Granulated lime was left over from a buying error so this got chucked in this mix as well. Oyster shell, first time as well. Liking it so far I guess. Not getting any leaf curl from my mix being too hot. So perhaps its helping buffer Ph. Mushroom compost was a great deal. Wood chips were free, never used them in my soil mix before either,. Read an article on woodchips in your soil being platforms for microbial life to take form. Sounded good.

So I will never make this exact mix again. They all kick ass when your putting hard organics in your soil. Most of all just have fun mixing soil and gardening. If being anal is fun to folks, by all means be anal. Hope any of this helps.......Uh what was yer question again?

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Oh and Kelp meal good. I paid 50 bucks for a 50 sack and felt like a fool. But its a must have. Aside from making it ourselves where can we source this stuff the cheap on the west coast. 1$ a pound dont cut it for dried, desalinated seaweeds.

That does Nswer the question, thanks. I am also on the route to sourcing more local ingredients, for some reason that attitude has gone further than finding x y or z particular product, the best garden I grew had mostly free ingredients... Waste products from a local farm. Go figure, I am sure the plants can say why it's better that way, more than me. I also individually added worms from unfinished d vermi compost into the plants soil, so they also did something I would guess. A few show up on the surface dried out, once in a while, but they thrive in there for most part

Kelp meal good.

Yes

Biosynthesis

Veteran
The plants don't know how much we spend on them (snicker). As long as we have N-P-K and micronutrients plus microbial life they will perform well. What equation we use to get there is debatable. Oh and manure, the cheapest additive out there turns out the most flavorful fruits, vegetables and smoke.

Latest posts

Latest posts