What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Odor eliminating spiral compact fluorescents

Lord Doobie

I dunno...The link below seems foreboding...especially the part below
http://www.ehponline.org/docs/2001/109-4/innovations.html
A Chink in the Armor?

One concern raised about the use of TiO2 is the formation of potentially harmful intermediate products during the breakdown of organic substances. The 1979 report Bioassay of Titanium Dioxide for Possible Carcinogenicity NTIS# PB288780/AS (CAS No. 13463-67-7) states that TiO2 itself shows no evidence of carcinogenicity. But Carl Koval, a chemist at the University of Colorado in Boulder, and others have raised the concern that the reactions produced by TiO2 may create substances more dangerous than the original pollutant.

Says Koval, "When illuminated TiO2 is used to decompose organic compounds, a large number of intermediate compounds are usually formed. In some cases, these intermediate compounds can be more hazardous than the compound being decomposed." For example, he says, the breakdown of TCE yields trichloroacetic acid (a substance almost as toxic as TCE) and, in the gaseous phase, phosgene (a chemical warfare agent). However, he says, this doesn't mean that all applications using TiO2 would be dangerous. "In situations where this type of process was being proposed for outdoor use, I see no problems with it, because similar things occur naturally in the atmosphere, and it would be unlikely that concentrations of the hazardous chemical would reach toxic levels. . . . However, [in an indoor setting] who knows what would be formed if TiO2 photocatalysis were used to decompose plasticizers, bacteria, and so on, and what the health effects might be from inhaling such compounds?"

Certainly there is cause for caution, agrees Anderson. "But given time and control over the process," he adds, "these daughter products do break down into environmentally benign substances, a process which can be monitored using a gas chromatograph." And, says Blake, "All oxidization processes have the potential to produce partial oxidization products. It comes down to a question of the fraction of the target compounds that are converted to the intermediate products and how much of those produced are released into the air or water. The amount released will be a function of the efficiency of the photocatalytic device and the way it is constructed and operated."

All that being said, in the realm of environmental cleanup technology is TiO2 indeed the white knight riding to the rescue or something less? Says Blake, "There is no single technology that can address the very wide range of contamination problems in the environment. Most workers in the field recognize that the photocatalytic chemistry of TiO2 has pluses and minuses that make it attractive for some applications and not for others. The photocatalytic chemistry of TiO2 is very intriguing. It works in water or air, it uses light instead of heat, and it is such a simple concept. Engineering it with the right balance of economics and performance is the challenge."

SoloGro57

Snake Oil

Snake Oil

I own one, It may work in certain situations (pet odors maybe?) but in no way should u trust these products to keep your indoor grow stealthy

The reason I say this is because if you are on a tight budget and you find yourself needing to buy a fan and carbon filter in a hurry, like I did, you may find your security compromised.

It sounded too good to be true to me too, and it was.

cashmunny

I have 6 of them, 4 in my grow cab, 1 in the room the gro cab is in, and 1 in the hallway.

They help. But I have a 400W grow with a plant that was vegged 60 days from seed. It's a monster and it does still smell. But the smell is not super strong. You can smell it in the room and the hallway but not outside the house or in other rooms if the door to the room the cab is in is closed.

The supplemental lighting can't hurt I suppose.

I also have a gonzo odor eliminator in my cab. Worthless IMO. Maybe for a micro grow or a laundry hamper. Not for a closet full of flowering cannabis.

mr noodles

I own one, It may work in certain situations (pet odors maybe?) but in no way should u trust these products to keep your indoor grow stealthy

The reason I say this is because if you are on a tight budget and you find yourself needing to buy a fan and carbon filter in a hurry, like I did, you may find your security compromised.

It sounded too good to be true to me too, and it was.

i have a carbon filter but its more for the smell of my 5 dogs . might be good for the smoking room if it thames the smell a little .

no way a spiral bulb can deal with a full organic flowering smelly strain

rumblefish7d

Just ordered a couple of these 23w bulbs. Got the TCP Air purifying ones on 1000bulbs.com. I'll let you guys know how they work for a micro grow veg cab with a small carbon scrubber. Going to put one in the cab and one in the room- carbon scrubber takes care of smell with door shut but rooms has slight odor for a few hours after doing maintenance care. going to add a couple to the flower cab when i get to that point.

Short story, i'll let you know how they work for my situation.

Peace,
Rumble

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got a 1liter bottle of TiO2 paint from a friend to try it.

I know this thread it's not exactly about this, but maybe someone can give me a suggestion.

It is supposed to be sprayed on the growroom's roof or walls. Well...I don't want possibles sub-products I don't know flying in the room, so I want to use it in the extraction ducts.

I was thinking to make a ''filter-box'' where the exhaust air passing trough is treated.
I don't think a small box is enough to handle 2x 600W lamps, so I should increase total surface in the box, while keeping it lightened by the UV lamp.

Trying to make something like an air-trap, with internal walls, reducing airflow and increasing total surface could work, but I can't know how big it should be.
Light would be placed on the top, separating from the airflow chamber by a plexyglass sheet.

I should say I like the idea of painting a UV lamp, but it's just not so effective for its small surface, however new generation of paints should be more effective.

If someone can point me some thread I didn't find or anything useful related to growing cannabis would be great.

:wave:

redlaser

Veteran
I don't know anything about titanium paint on bulbs being good for odor control.

There is a fair amount of info on UV light being helpful for smell and being used to limit pathogens on plants. It's used in ducting and there are handheld units that can be used instead of fungicides, larger greenhouses have them in rails that pass over the plants.

I use several ozone generators ranging from small to 20-40 grams output.
Recently I've bought a UV light to go into ductwork as well as a couple 30 watt Uv bulbs that I place in front of air intakes.
The Uv gives off that ozone smell mildly, I would try that before the paint, seems a bit more predictable. Supposed to wear eye protection and cover skin with Uv.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
red laser….maybe I'm wrong, but I'm talking about photocatalysis and TiO2 (UV-a is enough energy for the Ti band gap) and you're talking about O3 (and UV-c)…they're different things.

clearheaded

Although will cause oxidation of thc amd terpenes ON ur plants aswell so not smart to use as grow light maybe outside cabinet or in micro stealth teenager grow.

redlaser

Veteran
red laser….maybe I'm wrong, but I'm talking about photocatalysis and TiO2 (UV-a is enough energy for the Ti band gap) and you're talking about O3 (and UV-c)…they're different things.

No, you are right about them being different things. I would have to look into TiO2 more since this thread is the first I've heard of it.

Maybe it is worthwhile, I just saw you mention the UV light and thought you were already using it for control, looks like I misunderstood that part.

Ozone and carbon filters have their applications, but lately I've been adding a mist system after the exhaust with various additives and it seems to be more effective