What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Odor eliminating spiral compact fluorescents

thescissors

Incidentally WHAT A TOTAL RIPOFF at wormsway!! what a JOKE! $40 for one bulb!! i paid $25 for two, and that included $5 shipping.. :)

minigreens

quick question about the light...
may be a dumb one but....
if i used one of these in a pc grow would it effect the plant? would it mask the smell even after the light is not on it (ie when its harvested and dried)

M

Microwido

Bump for awesome invention. So from what I read about ionizers, you don't want to be in a room with these for too long because it is unhealthy. I might have to pick one of these up. I just spent $220 on a carbon scrubber and a fan, not to mention the $1 a day electric bill increase. And maybe several of these would be all you need....

eurogro

Are these the same things?

http://www.1000bulbs.com/Air-Purifiers/

I have wondered many times if they actually work. I always assumed it was B.S.
I never thought about using them as a backup in the main living areas.

Guess I will have to give them a try. The price is right if they do work.

SoEx

Microwido said:
Bump for awesome invention. So from what I read about ionizers, you don't want to be in a room with these for too long because it is unhealthy. I might have to pick one of these up. I just spent $220 on a carbon scrubber and a fan, not to mention the $1 a day electric bill increase. And maybe several of these would be all you need....

The air ionizers are likely fine. They have to conform to a standard of X ppm of ozone or less before they're allowed to be sold. I use a large stand up unit for my main room (and did before growing) and it works semi-decently. And there's a decent little breeze constantly coming out of it.

As far as health concerns, ozone is probably pretty low on your list of health concerns. I'm not sure about putting one INSIDE your grow box/compartment itself, but as far as use around humans/pets the risk is likely nonexistent. You've got to live sometime or another :p

As for $1/day from your carbon scrubber's fan... what? You either have EXTREMELY expensive power or you made a miscalculation. At ~$0.08/KWh (random figure that seems to be pretty average, depending on location) you'd need to run a 500W fan to be able to rack up a $1/day increase in electricity charges. (.5kW * 24h * .08 = $0.96/day). I highly doubt you're running a 500W fan, though, seeing as how it'd generate an incredible amount of heat and be pretty much ineffective.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Honestly, I too was surprised when I was unable to find miles of posts about such a thing. It seems to me that most people are more comfortable using what they KNOW works...some things are better not left to chance.

As a second/extra measure...it couldn't hurt. Are they only @ 2700k or 6500k too?

Rastatrue

Hey Now, I'm gonna find one of these titanium clf. Might just be a scam, but the the scientific stuff make sense. Nothing is 100% but any thing that cost just a few bucks and will eliminate most of the telltale odor. Shit that's a Jahsend!

BonsaiBud

Well, they supposedly work by putting off ozone. My lung doctor had an anrticle posted on the wall about how some of the big "ionizers" put off enough ozone to cause minor lung iritation. If I remember, from my days studying saltwater fish, a carbon scrubber will remove ozone. So the best place for one of these inside the growbox/room would be just upstream of the fan and filter with, perhaps a few feet of ducting for the reaction to take place.

I vent to indoors and can't use any ozone. I might pick one up and play around with it. I would use "swimming pool smell" aka chlorine gas as the reference standard. When I was my feet in a dilute chlorine solution it makes the entire house smell like a swimming pool and destroys all odor.

Ozone will ruin plastic just as UV light will do.

I'm gonna call up a saltwater fish store and ask them how I can set up an ozonizer without venting to the outside.

kalikush

I got a couple of these in today and they seem to work pretty well. I just have them in my room and turn them on about 10 mins before taking the females out of their cab. They do smell (just veg now)as soon as I open the cab and my room used to stink after letting them sit out for a few minutes. I do my business, water, prune, train and put them away. I leave the room and come back and dont smell the ladies at all. Seems like they'll work well enough to keep the roommates from asking questions =)

chosen

Veteran
I wonder if you could kind of make a scrubber box with some of them in the middle killing the odor as they pass. I like the idea. Thanks, IM

S

semperfi8548

Am I correct in assuming that it only deodorizes when the bulb is turned on? If so, what do you do during the dark cycle?

ColoradoKid

I have been using lots of these for about 5 years now. I have 4 in each bathroom and 2 in the kitchen and others around the house. It is my observation that they work well. I have pets as well. If something produces an odor then it can be smelled for a short period of time. But soon.....no smells. If something continues to produce an odor like I am cooking soup in a crock pot, then I can smell the soup cooking. But as soon as it is done....bang no smell. I hope this helps.

Dreamscape

Small thread on this bulb and it is not ozone from what I can gather, it creates c02 and hell that's a good thing.
http://forums.the-gadgeteer.com/vbbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=938

And another site that explains what Titanium oxide is and does.
http://www.ehponline.org/docs/2001/109-4/innovations.html
Shit, I'm going to pick me up a few and put them in my grow room. I'll use them as supplimental lighting and I will let you all know if they work since I'm on week six of flower.

SO MUCH for that update ... :wallbash: :joint: :D

W

WTA

One or two in the living room for additional security/confidence when it absolutely, positively, can't/shouldn't stink like growing Cannabis i.e. apartment house living, such as catching that spill-over odors that come out of the growroom when the door is opened...

Cheap additional insurance/ assurance, imho, use em in your living room by the front door.
Kinda like underarm deoderant gives one a much better chance of not stinking at inappropriate times.

I was trying to decide it they were even worth bothering with. This post tipped me in-favour.