What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Odor eliminating spiral compact fluorescents

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
This light bulb is a 23 watt, 120 volt compact fluorescent that eliminates odor.

It is a spiral compact fluorescent with a standard screw base measuring 26 millimeters in diameter and an overall length of 5 inches.

It is rated at 10000 life hours and has a Kelvin temperature of 2700.

When the Titanium Oxide coating on the bulbs are exposed to the Florescent light of the bulb itself, strong oxidizers are naturally created. This Oxidation process breaks down odors...
...eliminates airborne bacteria, mold, viruses, fungi, smoke and household odors.

Fits almost anywhere a standard light bulb can be used.
Results may vary based on room size and airflow.
Must be used in uncovered socket/ fixture to work effectively.

http://www.fresh2.com/index.html

Fresh2 bulb review

http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=OCFB700

:)

Last edited:
G

I would like to see someone's experience on how useful these would be. Could 1 really make a difference?

G

Man I was looking at these in a Hydro Mag I get from the shop I go to. It makes the claim but I have yet to see the reviews on it. I like what it says it can do but what effect does it have on a cabinet and what is the life of the bulb or oder eating? If these check out. I will have some supplimental lighting and oder masking going on. Great invention if it works well in our case.

blatant

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
More of a supplemental odor killer...

More of a supplemental odor killer...

One or two in the living room for additional security/confidence when it absolutely, positively, can't/shouldn't stink like growing Cannabis i.e. apartment house living, such as catching that spill-over odors that come out of the growroom when the door is opened...

Cheap additional insurance/ assurance, imho, use em in your living room by the front door.
Kinda like underarm deoderant gives one a much better chance of not stinking at inappropriate times.

:D

Compact fluorescent light bulbs last, on average, approximately 10,000 hours, or nine years, which represents significant savings over conventional incandescent light bulbs.
The odor-eliminating power of Fresh2 lasts three years. "Fresh2 is truly a multi-tasking light bulb,"..."It not only eliminates common household odors and provides comfortable light, it uses 75% less energy than standard bulbs and generates only one-tenth of the heat."

Last edited:

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
From a Fresh2 "press release"...

From a Fresh2 "press release"...

Fresh2 to the rescue.
Fresh2 -- an odor-eliminating compact fluorescent light bulb (CFL) -- is the newest tool for tackling offending odors. A special coating of titanium dioxide is what gives Fresh2 the ability to break down odors, according to Ellis Yan, CEO of Technical Consumer Products (TCP), which developed and manufactures Fresh2. "We dip the glass part of the bulb into titanium dioxide, which forms a thin transparent film. When the surface of this coating is exposed to fluorescent light -- given off by the bulb itself -- a photocatalytic action occurs."

The reaction emits electrons -- negatively charged particles -- and simultaneously, positively charged holes form in their place on the glass surface, he explains. "This creates very strong oxidizers that completely break down odors. The purifying process begins to work 10 minutes after the bulb is turned on."

Yan adds that, because the Fresh2 bulb must be exposed to air to work effectively, it works very well in lamps with shades but not in fixtures that completely enclose a light bulb.

Fresh2 was extensively tested through exposure to ammonia and trimethylamine -- two of the strongest and most recognizable elements available. According to Sharon Gallagher, TCP product manager for CFLs, the residual gas concentration was first measured after 10 minutes of use, then again after 30 minutes and one, two and five hours. "Both elements were neutralized at nearly 90 percent within just 10 minutes. At the end of the five-hour test period, nearly 100 percent of the two smells was eliminated."

Compact fluorescent light bulbs last, on average, approximately 10,000 hours, or nine years, which represents significant savings over conventional incandescent light bulbs. The odor-eliminating power of Fresh2 lasts three years. "Fresh2 is truly a multi-tasking light bulb," Gallagher states. "It not only eliminates common household odors and provides comfortable light, it uses 75% less energy than standard bulbs and generates only one-tenth of the heat."

Fresh2 was recently introduced in Toledo, Ohio, the national test market, during the first and second quarters of 2004....

G

I can see it now. The light that acts as a deoderant. Beacause anything else would be uncivilized. I wonder if Chuck Barkley is available. They already have a marketing strategy. I may have to get a couple.

Blatant

G

:p somehow I doubt that flourescent lights are gunna help keep the smell of a room full of ripe buds under control.....

it reminds me of the plants you can play sound through... some crazy shit people come up with!! I love inventions, keep em coming-

mark6699331

Plant Tones

Plant Tones

I have some of the original equip. used to make plants create tones that you can record. You just gave me an idea for a cannabis opera, or solo or something
thanks
mark

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
somehow I doubt that flourescent lights are gunna help keep the smell of a room full of ripe buds under control.....

I agree. One or two probably wouldn't be effective for a room full of skunky funky... :D

I envision use in the main living area to fortify/ back up ones defenses against possible odor leaks... Smoked Cannabis odor control...
Got an itty bitty garden?, this could be just the ticket for that application. :)

G

I think I may actually hunt a few of these down and do a test of my own.

I'll place a lamp in my growarea since its small 3 x 3 maximum i should be able to see if it works at all.

Time will tell

Lemon

Fat Albert said:
Great bump, IMB!

Do we have any feedback from anyone using these bulbs?

Cheers!
Fat A :wave:

I have two of them. They work a LOT beter than most people would give them credit for. They suck the smell out of everything, pot or not pot.

I have a fabreze noticables scented oil plugin.. when you turn the light on, the scent from the fabreze dissapears and all that sleft is the tang of chemically water.. kind of makes you wonder what other ingredients are in those scented oils, lol. but the scented part dissapears.

If you've ever been in a small room with an ionizer, you know that your throat can start to feel irritated... these do the same thing.. they release a lot of ions.

I have yet to try them out with growing cannabis, but a guy on another site says that two inside his grow room were enough to completely eliminate (not just reduce) the smell of his 4x6 grow. You just add more until they work, the effect is cumilitive.

I think they are certainly worth further exploration.. ill let you know how they work for me as i am currently starting a small grow (http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=40144) and utilizing these.

G

Its not going to flower big smelly buds anyway,its just a CF.I like to see someone use them for odor control for a room full of mature buds grown with HIDs lol

Lemon

The person i mentioned above was not using them to grow, solely for odour control. The ebnefit is in the fact that you get the same effect as an ionizer, but for 6 bucks. An added bonus is that in small grows, they will double up as supplemental lighting.

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
Yea, i used to use one of them for my old motherplant rubbermaid setup; it worked pretty damn good.

I was always curious if these really worked, after seeing the posts I think I'm gonna get some for my front room, it would help to reduce any smells ( growing or smoked pot...or an occasional passing of the gas, lol) that may be noticeable to a visitor. Thanks IM Boggled, for yet another informational gem! :wave:

DeVenT

I find it hard to believe that these things have been around as long as they have and there isn't a mile long thread about them either phrasing how well they work or bashing them....Next time I go to the hydro shop I'll have to ask about them and see if they carry them. If so, I might have to pick one up if they aren't super expensive. Might be a little hard to tell if they truley work or not for me though....I got a huge carbon scrubber and a Uvonair 5000. But a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure right?? Isn't that how the saying goes....at least something along those lines. I believe, as someone else had posted, they would be a good addition to the living/smoking area. That is....IF.... they work.

thescissors

I just ordered a pair of them!! Thanks for the tip IMB!! :) And be assured i will post a FULL review... odor control is MANDATORY for me... i think i will run one inside the cab and one out.. :)

actually it would work out awesomely for me if i could manage to get rid of my carbon filter due to the fact that it adds a deep bass "thrum" to the sound of the cab. without the filter i can run my blower on LOW and i can BARELY hear the blower at all. the HID ballasts are louder!! (and they arent all that loud... ;)) :joint:

also, im using this "Gonzo Odor Remover" which i got at home depot... i actually bought FIVE of them, hoping to get as much of the odor as possible so i can get rid or moderate the use of my carbon filter. it seems to work somewhat, but i dont trust them yet. my plants are JUST beginning to flower so i will see how well my odor control is going. ive also used some small odor-gel pots also from home dePOT, which work up to a point but not good enough....

here is what the gonzo website says:

Gonzo® Odor Eliminators® - All odors are positively-charged gases that float in the air like dust particles. The Gonzo Odor Eliminators are all-natural, odorless, non-toxic volcanic crystals that contain a negative charge. The Odor Eliminators act like a magnet does with metal; they attract and hold all odors to keep the air clean and fresh smelling.

The Gonzo Odor Eliminators will remove unpleasant cooking odors from kitchens, smoke odors from cigars, cigarettes, fireplaces and wood-burning stoves. They will also remove pet odors from litter boxes and pet accidents, musty odors in basements and garages and odors in closets. The Odor Eliminators will keep car, truck, boat and RV interiors smelling fresh and clean.

To use simply place the mesh bag in any area where an odor exists. In 8 to 12 hours all odors are gone. (8oz. bag are effective in a room up to 300 square feet.) After 10 months leave the mesh bag in sunlight for 6 hours. This procedure recharges The Gonzo Odor Eliminators making them an economical odor-controlling tool that can be used over and over.

bubuy odors!!! :) :bat:

Last edited: