What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS FINISH

Trying to find out if ima get any different results by jus changing out my bulbs from HPS to MH for flowering, i wanted to see if anyone before me got better results or notice anything different?

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I've gone back and forth between 1000watt HPS & MH for the past two years. No major difference.
The HPS is a little cooler; so I use that in summer, MH in winter.

Different strains do seem to like a particular light.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
A mix works very well, and the new 10K Kelvin CMH are meant to bring on more resin in the last weeks, you change over from the 4K. Testing these soon hopefully.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
A mix works very well, and the new 10K Kelvin CMH are meant to bring on more resin in the last weeks, you change over from the 4K. Testing these soon hopefully.

You can get the 10k in regular 40mm ES fitting, 600w £40

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd like to see some papers on this but from what I've come to understand:

HPS - more green growth & slightly more airy, stretchy structure when compared to MH.

MH - more compact with less green growth... More dense buds when compared to HPS.

BOTH BULBS will yield a similar amount of resins.
IF what is said is true then MH buds would be slightly more potent.

Consider also that my experience is also only using EYE Super HPS or EYE Hortilux Blue MH.

Also, consider that the EYE Horti Blue MH has the best PAR values for any MH lamp that I am aware of. It better than a lot of HPS bulbs and is my prefered id flowering bulb (at this point).

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Try starting and finishing under UVBs...with HPS during the rest.

These two 600w Plantmax MH lamps work on a HPS ballast and are the ones I use.

7.2k Kelvin bulb for the 1st few weeks in flower--
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/115289/PX-MS6007200.html

10k Kelvin bulb I use for the last few weeks in flower--
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/88311/PX-MPS60010K.html

Both are under $35 each--a fraction of the cost of Horti Blue. Which makes one wonder, which has greater PAR--a new Plantmax bulb vs a 2-3 month old Horti? In other words, is it better to replace Plantmax bulbs twice as often (4 times each year) or replace Horti bulbs twice a year? In my garden, my PAR meter indicated a brand new 600w Plantmax bulb produced more lumens than a 3 month old 600w Horti Blue.

Something to think about.

Easy7

Veteran
CMH keeps the UV and the spectrum flowering.

MJ Passion seems a bit mixed up. MH is more like outdoor, more leafy. HPS has the spectrum for dense flower clusters. MH has a shorter life span and less Lumens. Not that lumens mean much these days.

I recall a comparison grow on OG. There was more weight under the MH. I do wonder how much of that was more larf. HPS is quicker as well. The main reason for switching to MH is the UV. Problem solved with CMH. Again, depends on your chosen method.

DocTim420

Ask yourself these questions:

Why do I want to include a UVB light spectrum?

When is the best time to introduce UBV light spectrum?

How is plant growth affected by UVB light spectrum?

How is bud/flower development affected by UVB light spectrum?

How is trichome production affected by UVB light spectrum?

IMO, obtaining the answers to these questions will guide you accordingly. No need for the "blind to lead the blind".

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
CMH keeps the UV and the spectrum flowering.

MJ Passion seems a bit mixed up. MH is more like outdoor, more leafy. HPS has the spectrum for dense flower clusters. MH has a shorter life span and less Lumens. Not that lumens mean much these days.

I recall a comparison grow on OG. There was more weight under the MH. I do wonder how much of that was more larf. HPS is quicker as well. The main reason for switching to MH is the UV. Problem solved with CMH. Again, depends on your chosen method.

I'm NOT mixed up...

I'm speaking from MY experience!

What I said is WHAT I OBSERVED.
On more than one occasion.

Don't discount MY experience!

You don't seem to be speaking from EXPERIENCE, imo!

DocTim420

The difference between "wisdom" & "knowledge" is: Wisdom = knowledge + experience

Said differently, without "experience" then all one has is a collection of other people's information (aka knowledge).

bigAl25

Veteran
Hell I did the common sense thing for my grow after reading all the previous stuff on MH verses HPS. I hung up one 400 watt lamp of each side by side. It doesn't answer the original question, but makes me sleep better at night right along with my plants.

DocTim420

This excerpt might help--

Light Quality

The visible light spectrum emits light in red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet colors. Colors on either end of the spectrum play the greatest role in plant growth and flowering, while the yellow and green wavelengths play a lesser role. Plants use wavelengths between 400 and 700 nanometers (nm) for photosynthesis, which provides for all the energy needs of the plant. Sunlight is the best light source for plants and naturally provides all of these wavelengths. Different wavelengths are used for specific plant functions, but all wavelengths in this range are absorbed in varying amounts. Wavelengths in the red and blue spectrum are absorbed in greater amounts while more green and yellow light is reflected, giving the leaves their characteristic green color. For this reason, growers relying on artificial plant lighting concentrate on the blue and red parts of the spectrum.

Blue Light

The most important blue wavelengths are from 430 to 450 nm. This part of the spectrum is also known as cool light. These wavelengths encourage vegetative growth through strong root growth and intense photosynthesis. Blue light is often used alone during the early phases of plant growth, such as starting seedlings, when flowering is not desired.

Red Light

The longer wavelengths of light are red in color. The most important wavelengths in the red spectrum are from 640 to 680 nm. These wavelengths encourage stem growth, flowering and fruit production, and chlorophyll production. The red wavelengths are known as warm light and they are naturally more prevalent in sunlight during the shorter days of fall and winter.

And why UVB a few weeks before harvest?...."and in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make." That's why.

By imposing a degree of abiotic stress (UVBs combined with a strategic water deficit at the "end") causes the plant to react defensively ("the love I make")--reacting immediately with a predictable increase in production of cannabinoids and trichomes ("the love I take"...lol).

IMO, having high UVBs during development/growth of buds is a guaranteed larf generator.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wtf is larf & who came up with that term?

If a plants leafy its leafy by genetics... Not light source.
This has nothing to do with opinions.
Opinions are Bro Science.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
MH for veg and flower in my garden. I find an increase in, and improvement of terpenes, better flavor, along with a slight decrease in density and yields.

I run the big Horti's, bare in vert setups and hooded at other times.
it's not the extra special $100 extra Horti just the big dual position regular one.

OGKB 2.0, the run that won the ICmag cup.
picture.php

Thin Mint Cookies
using a cooled hood and 1000 MH behind glass in a 5x5 tent.
picture.php

when the hype about switching between 3 bulbs started way back when, I bit and bought a set.
I think it's a great way to get you to spend more money on bulbs but I preferred the MH all the way through flower.

that 10,000 bulb for the last 2 weeks of flower sat in it's box for many years until I set up my basement grow in
Mass this year and had 2 runs with it on one side and a ushio MH on the other.

the 10K bulbs seems brighter and the plants on that side are louder but seem a bit less dense.
I'm using Sour Dubb to compare as she's the loudest girl in my collection, don't feel any difference when smoking the flowers, both sides are plenty loud.
picture.php

DocTim420

Wtf is larf & who came up with that term?

If a plants leafy its leafy by genetics... Not light source.
This has nothing to do with opinions.
Opinions are Bro Science.

Like you, Bro Science & Stoner Logic are two things I do not follow. That said, when a bud is grown under HPS is tight and rock hard (can easily pass the wall test)--then when a bud is grown under MH (no HPS) many growers have the same observation: The bud will be slightly larger but without any increase in weight...it is hard to attribute the change to "genetics", especially when the "MH" bud fails the wall test--whereas "HPS" bud does not.

BTW, to "pass" the wall test a bud thrown against the wall will bounce back...a "fail" is when it falls without bouncing.

How can this be? Perhaps the blue wave length is the culprit--due to the increase "vegetative" growth (while flowering/bud maturing) along with intense photosynthesis under a higher CO2 environment. Sounds logical to me.

FWIW...buds in my garden that finish under UVB for the last 2-3 weeks do not exhibit "larf" but are rock hard (easily pass the wall test).

For the "uninitiated", here is a little diddy about "larf

What Is Larf Cannabis?

“Larf,” while a fun word to say, is a term some cannabis consumers may not have heard before. It’s a slang word that refers to smaller, immature buds that didn’t quite reach their full potential. Usually these buds are wispy or fluffy little flowers found on the lower branches of cannabis plants. Generally, their immaturity is attributed to lack of light penetration due to living in the shadows of the bigger, topmost flowers (called “colas”), but other environmental factors can cause similar results.

What Is “Delarfing”?

Many growers use practices to minimize larf and allow plants to focus their energy towards producing exceptional flower within the canopy. Delarfing is just that! By pruning, training, and removing any additional vegetation that is not receiving adequate light, you can “delarf” a plant.

Think of it like a busser at a restaurant. If you pre-bus, or remove the dishes as they become unnecessary, it makes the final cleanup of the table that much more efficient. In the case of cannabis, the final cleanup is the harvest and trimming of the plant. Preemptively removing these small buds early in the plant’s flowering cycle will make processing the plant that much more productive.

What Can You Do With Larf Cannabis?

Not everyone delarfs their plants, which is why you will find items like budlets or popcorn nugs/buds (named for their round miniature stature that’s about the size of a popped kernel of popcorn) on dispensary menus. Even though these petite buds can have lower concentrations of cannabinoids and terpenes, they can be used in several ways and make for a great discount buy:

Produce cannabis oil used for preparing infused edibles
Roll larf into joints or blunts
Load a popcorn bud into a bowl whole as a “snap,” a bowl that is just big enough for one person to finish on their own.

Now we all know...lol.

Latest posts

Latest posts