What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maxibright Horizon or Dimlux 315

UncleBens

Hi

Anybody using a 315 watt CDM between two 600 watt HPS's?
I'm trying to decide between the dimlux 315 and the maxibright with horizon reflector. The horizon is supposed to be designed to cover a 2.4x1.2 area but looking at the graph it seems the umols are still mostly concentrated around the middle, so I'm not sure if the dimlux would do the same job?

Attachments

• Horizonfin-comparison-graph - Copy.jpg
    Horizonfin-comparison-graph - Copy.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 20

P-NUT

Veteran
I just ordered a sun system 1 lec ballast and a sun system ra hood. Its the one with the bulb vertical. Im putting it in the middle of 4 600s. Havent seen a graph of its spread but the vertical orientation should give a better spread. I also used a ballast from greenbeams and an old super sun 2 reflector with the conversion kit for the bulb. Worked good but the ballast took a shit. Reduced stretch a little and added tons of terps and some frost. Goodluck however you go. My new ballast bulb and reflector was a little less than 400 from growershouse.

UncleBens

I just ordered a sun system 1 lec ballast and a sun system ra hood. Its the one with the bulb vertical. Im putting it in the middle of 4 600s. Havent seen a graph of its spread but the vertical orientation should give a better spread. I also used a ballast from greenbeams and an old super sun 2 reflector with the conversion kit for the bulb. Worked good but the ballast took a shit. Reduced stretch a little and added tons of terps and some frost. Goodluck however you go. My new ballast bulb and reflector was a little less than 400 from growershouse.

I was going to get a sun system LEC reflector to use as a stand alone light in a smaller tent but they are out of stock everywhere in the UK.
I've been looking at the Dimlux fixtures and they look pretty damn nice to me! They have a boost function which is appealing too.

The horizon is designed solely for use as a supplemental light, but I cant find much info of people using them.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
800 watts of CMH was alternated with 1200 watts of Black Dog LED, then 800 watts of Platinum LED. This was continued with mixed brands of LED and various bulbs up to ten thousand K.

End result is the LEDs at one end and HIDs at the other with the plants moved as they grow. Fastest healthy growth is under the HIDs, best yields are from plants halfway between and turned twice per day. Problematic as the plants get larger but if the time and room is available this is the way to go.
Medium intensity (120 uw) UVB from one side produces best results if the plants are turned, otherwise a low intensity (50 uw) surround works well. Many hybrids do not improve with UVB.

The growth differential is explained by 1800 watts per HID plant versus 1050 watts per LED plant. if the intensity is lowered the growth evens out. These numbers are a compromise between overall plant health and yields.
Meter numbers are: LEDs run at 850 umol and the HID at 1000 umol. The difference is due to the percentage of green emitted.
After a certain intensity (usually 50% of max) the red/blue causes the surface chloroplasts to go opaque to red/blue (think artery versus vein color) and pretty much only green and far red penetrate.
15% of the green passing through gets absorbed for photosynthesis giving HID and HPS the edge in high intensity growing conditions.

The far red is measured as it passes through and the differences between upper and lower branches sends growth signals to the controller of stem length. Like a person feeling hungry, a great many factors go into what and when to eat.

No question in the garden about blending the HID and LED, the dialed in combo will outperform a single source light every time. The local Sun is excluded from this comparison.

positivity

Veteran
Adjust a wing looks like they have a CMH offering now. All their reflectors are compatible really, using socket adapters or a double ended lamp version. I've been using it for a while and the spread of light is actually greater on the ends, there's no middle hotspot
I'm personally undecided on the best combo or if its really even necessary. CMH, led, and mh/hps being the examples. There was a good post the other day saying the 10k mh I think it was, alternated with DE gave an extra level of quality.
You would have to assume there is a synergistic effect with the led because on its own, the DE results are still some of the best results to date, looking at available online gardens. And a high Kelvin led doesn't even come close to what a mh can do spectrum wise
Efficiency is leds realm, not so much sunlight matching spectrum. What is more important, maximum yield or highest quality possible.
Looking at cmh gardens where they use a bunch of fixtures and get the nice crossover lighting, makes you wonder if that's good enough.
To answer your question though. No, I haven't run that combo. If I was running 2 600 hps lights I'd probably just go with a 600 mh. The cmh did good in veg for me, but the 600 mh was a bit more impressive. Maybe a 630 cmh instead.... But as nice as a cmh spectrum is, it doesn't show up on the spectrometer as nice as a good mh lamp. You do gain efficiency and lamp life with the cmh... So it matters what's important to you

Latest posts

Latest posts