What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Charlcoal filter for exhausting smoking room.

G

Being in a non 420 state brings challenges living in the burbs and having non smoking neighbors, friends and family drop by on short or no notice. Not only for growing but smoking. We have a spare 12 X 12 room converted to a little den with couch TV etc we hang out in and smoke. We try to keep the door closed but the house still smells like crazy every time we smoke.
I have a couple of the nice sized GermGaurdian filters with the charcoal filters that work but still take a couple hours at least to get rid of most of the smell.

I am considering going into the attic area and since there is a cold air return vent in the room my idea is to use the cold air return duct and pull off and plug the return to the HVAC system and install a quiet fan like a S&P fan I use in the grow tent with a carbon filter exhausting into the attic like I do with my grow tent that is in a closet in a different room. The tent setup works perfectly and I think that doing something like that for venting the smoke room might help keep the smell way down.
Has anyone else gone to the trouble to try and keep down the odor from smoking in the house in this fashion? Or have a better idea? The idea is to keep it quiet and not be visible except the existing duct work cover so not to invite questions from the curious.

Didnt know where to post this one so if the Mods need to move it somewhere more appropriate please do.

HatchBrew

Veteran
I only smoke outside anymore.

Use a spoof like we did in college or vent it outside. Seal the room ( towel or seal door better). Make the air filter to outside thru filter and not get recirculated into rest of house.

blastfrompast

Veteran
carbon fillter...inline fan...to the outside....Close door to room to provide neg pressure....(enough gaps under door etc. to let air into room)...

OldPhart

how about a good carbon filter, vented into the return air duct? I have done this before, sort of. I had a grow box in the room we smoked in, I vented out of the box, and into the return air duct. worked 99% for both smoke and stink. It also took care of any heat issues. If you didn't know what you were smelling when you walked into the house, you wouldn't notice it. Burn a candle or two in the house, and it was good to go.

G

how about a good carbon filter, vented into the return air duct? I have done this before, sort of. I had a grow box in the room we smoked in, I vented out of the box, and into the return air duct. worked 99% for both smoke and stink. It also took care of any heat issues. If you didn't know what you were smelling when you walked into the house, you wouldn't notice it. Burn a candle or two in the house, and it was good to go.
I considered this option and the downside is depending on outside air temps the hvac system may not run a lot. I think I'm going to put in a exhaust fan in the closet ceiling and add a wall switch. Keep closet open and it can can run continuously if I want. S&P fans are really quiet and above the insulated ceiling it won't be heard at all.