What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Most popular solvents

trees4life20

Hi, I'm curious what are the most popular solvents used nowadays.

Is n-butane still number one? Followed by CO2? Methanol?

Just trying to do my research but seems to be scatted information on each solvent. Thank you!

blastfrompast

Veteran
I think you mean ethanol....

Dont forget about Propane/ iso-butane + butane blends...etc.

PHO is really making headway in the market up here.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I find hexane easier for the diy yourself folks.

I built my own condenser with copper tubing from Ace Hardware. A pyrex bowl and soldered fittings on mason jar lids for the vacuum chambers. Bag ice from 7-11 for coolant. Induction hotplate and temp sensors from Wal Mart. Miscellaneous hardware and tubing mixed with physical labor and I had a system.

The two stage vacuum pump had to be ordered online for 1,000 USD.

The homemade setup can process an ounce of oil extract every three hours, tested at 60% THC. Since the testing I have upped the temperature from 200 to 250 degrees F for use as a spritzer as well as for vaping. Approximately another third of the weight boiled off under vacuum at the higher temperature. Lost a little taste along with the terpenes.

I have used butane as well, but with simple home made systems I would always have to wait for the outside temperature to reach -40. This keeps the butane liquid so pressure vessels are not needed.
Hexane works year around.

IMO the most used are butane/propane blend, CO2, ethanol

I wouldn't recommend methanol or hexane, as those have negative health effects if not completely removed from your extract

Spaventa

Veteran
I use alcohol I make from sugar. I distil it to 96% and it does the job well. I purge the oil by distilling the alcohol back into its jar for next time. I just like that its natural safe even drinkable stuff I'm using. It only cos £20 for the stuff to make 7 litres of it too. Same stuff in the shops is £57 (Boots chemist) for ONE litre because of uk tax. I like being able to wash quick so having a big bath is great.