What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Galaxy or nanolux? low rfi?

D

Dioni

I have had the best results with Galaxy out of any other ballast, have a couple approaching 10 years old! :biggrin:

Have a couple new Phantom II's that i'm happy with also, we'll see if they last!

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
My post from another thread--
I stumbled on this EMI test for Galaxy Grow Amp--I have two of these Galaxy digital ballasts, but only have the RFI filter on the "lamp side" and nothing on the "power side". It appears the 240v cord with the filter was not available when I tried to buy 2.

http://tomthompson.com/radio/GrowLight/RFI_Tests_Galaxy_902220_FCC-Report.pdf

Some "cheapo" transistor AM radios can detect RFI at the low end of the dial. It helped me identify a digital ballast that was just plain nasty. I went outside and about 20 feet or so you from my property line, you could hear it on the radio...and it got louder as I walked closer to my home. Fuck...nothing like having a neon sign that flashes "We grow pot" and an arrow pointing right to my front door.

Feijao

Im looking to upgrade from 2 old mars 300 type panels for my 2'x4'x6' tent but also worried about rf interference. Anyone have experience with either of these two or know if theye any good?

http://growershouse.com/galaxy-grow-amp-select-a-watt-turbo-charge-600w-120-240v

http://growershouse.com/nanolux-600w-digital-dimmable-ballast-120-240-volt-wireless-capable

I run several Galaxy 600 Turbo ballasts with the Gavita Enhanced bulbs running at 660. They are working great and I have not had any visits from the cable company, yet...

Raho

Veteran
The big problem with digital ballasts is they are high frequency devices. You can actually hear the bulb resonates at that frequency.

One number you don't see on most current spec sheets is the output frequency of the unit. A few years ago, they all published it.
On Quantums, you can find it in their docs . . .
Output Frequency: ≥ 30KHz

Pretty sure they all operate at that freq. Bulbs are designed to operate at a specific frequency. Some early digital ballasts had compatibility issues with certain bulbs. Differences in output frequency was probably the cause of that.

When you tune in your AM radio and walk into the room, the sound on the radio is exactly like the sound coming from your bulbs.

The entire cable from the reflector to the ballast and the bulb itself operates as an antenna sending out a signal at the output frequency.
The longer the cable, the stronger the "broadcast" signal.
I suspect many people can't hear the sound from the bulb. I have excellent hearing.

If I had to run HO lights on digital ballasts with remote reflectors and was concerned about RFI, you could put magnetic chokes between the ballast and the bulb (close to the ballast).
Another option would be to add shielding to the cable itself (a big PIA.)

I haven't tried them yet, but the units like gavitas and nanolux with the reflector and ballast integrated into the same unit with a very short cable would probably have a big impact on reducing RFI.

YetiOG

Nanolux sells a little rfi thing for high frequency ballasts works on any. No need for a short lamp cort.

Nanolux makes pretty awesome gear.

Raho

Veteran
Nanolux sells a little rfi thing for high frequency ballasts works on any. No need for a short lamp cort.

That's cool Yeti. I assume it looks like a plastic capsule that clips on the line. That is a magnetic (ferrite) choke.
Have you tried one? I never did.

They are very common in consumer electronics and can be bought off amazon.
looks like a good search is "ferrite choke"
They have some pretty big ones up there.

I'm a fan of Nanolux gear too.

YetiOG

That's cool Yeti. I assume it looks like a plastic capsule that clips on the line. That is a magnetic (ferrite) choke.
Have you tried one? I never did.

They are very common in consumer electronics and can be bought off amazon.
looks like a good search is "ferrite choke"
They have some pretty big ones up there.

I'm a fan of Nanolux gear too.

http://nanoluxtech.com/rf-filter-set/

Not a simple ferite choke. This goes on lamp cord and power cord to cut conducted and edited RFI.

Have not tried there's no need It obviously complies with strict government standards in sure its fine :tiphat:

YetiOG

I thought about trying those, was hoping to hear a review first tho.

I'm sure buying 1 won't break the bank. I get if you need hundreds not wanting to test something out. Anyway new government standards mean there's stuff that allows things to stay within their standards...

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran

Nanolux DEs are garbage, I bought 30 of them and have had 16 fail in 2 years. Their light bulbs are also garbage, they work great for one run, then lose PAR light like crazy. I replaced all the bulbs with Philips Greenpower plus (Gavita branded) and my yields went up 40%. I talked to the president of Nanolux (they are about 5 minutes from me) and he admitted their bulbs are junk. Nanolux are cheap for a reason, my local store sends them back by the pallet, their app and control box are also garbage.

Gavitas are far more reliable, and are worth the extra money.

Latest posts

Latest posts