What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ReikoX's Workshop 2017

Rooting is easy if you give them plenty of time. I take very small clones, but it works for me. I describe my full process in this post.

Here are some general tips on cloning.

Take clones from healthy mothers. Clones have to live off their stored energy once cut off from the plant. If the mother is lacking in nutrition, it will have less stored energy.

Take clones from the top of mothers. The top leaves are generally more mature. The top is also where growth hormones are most concentrated.

Use a humidity dome and seedling mat. Warm and moist conditions are required for cloning. I like to leave my clones in the dome for a week, then slowly raise the dome to harden them off.

Other than that, patience is the only thing you really need.

Thanks for the link Ill look though that.
I dodnt usually use a top or heat mat, but have done several other things and have periods of good and periods of complete failure. Maybe its a seasonal thing and the dome.mat will help.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Thanks for the link Ill look though that.
I dodnt usually use a top or heat mat, but have done several other things and have periods of good and periods of complete failure. Maybe its a seasonal thing and the dome.mat will help.
I definitely have better luck, or rather faster results, in the summer than the winter.

I definitely have better luck, or rather faster results, in the summer than the winter.

I have some great strains that I didnt take clones of right now and wish I had at least tried. Chop time in next few days, but my re-veg skills are bad also lol. I still might try now that I have a small space to do it.

Tbonegrower

R: Have you ever used the bubble cloner method? I run a 2 site in an old filter carbon container, with a relatively small airstone. A bit of KLN, and keep it from drying completely and I have clones in < 2 weeks every time.

Tbonegrower

I saw in Sparkle's thread that you are playing with Arduino! I am headed in that direction myself. I want to spend less time watering... I am going to mimic his bottom watering for now, but I may eventually go crazy and start individual plant dripper setups (with dosing pumps for nutes and what not...). Probably a mile or so of signal wire...

R: Have you ever used the bubble cloner method? I run a 2 site in an old filter carbon container, with a relatively small airstone. A bit of KLN, and keep it from drying completely and I have clones in < 2 weeks every time.

Yeah, not really space right now for that,but was worked best for me. except in summer with water temps causing root rot.

I might still have the sprinklers and tubing, this time Ill use a timer to keep water temps down, and promote faster rooting

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I have some great strains that I didnt take clones of right now and wish I had at least tried. Chop time in next few days, but my re-veg skills are bad also lol. I still might try now that I have a small space to do it.

I've had pretty good luck with re-veg in the past, but it is a slow process. Leave some of the lower buds and leaves. The more the better. Give her a good flushing, then put her under 24/0 lighting. Feed her a high Nitrogen diet and this should help her transition back to veg. Once she stops throwing out single bladed leaves, she is ready to clone.

Yeah I've done the bubble cloner with fast results before. It just takes up so much room. I clone in around 4" of space above my light.
picture.php

I can fit three of these with six clones in each. I usually use two one a week with pretty good success. I only need 3 a week to keep up with the coliseum.

I saw in Sparkle's thread that you are playing with Arduino! I am headed in that direction myself. I want to spend less time watering... I am going to mimic his bottom watering for now, but I may eventually go crazy and start individual plant dripper setups (with dosing pumps for nutes and what not...). Probably a mile or so of signal wire...
Yeah these things are amazing! They are so cheap I want to automate everything! I've already written a cycle timer and a temperature/humidity logger with mine.

I've had pretty good luck with re-veg in the past, but it is a slow process. Leave some of the lower buds and leaves. The more the better. Give her a good flushing, then put her under 24/0 lighting. Feed her a high Nitrogen diet and this should help her transition back to veg. Once she stops throwing out single bladed leaves, she is ready to clone.

Do I need to flush if I run organic soil and not fertilizers.
I only water them as is never add anything except a top dress at week 4 flowering

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Do I need to flush if I run organic soil and not fertilizers.
I only water them as is never add anything except a top dress at week 4 flowering

I've never tried skipping the flush part. Try it and let us know. The important part is the high Nitrogen diet. Feed some fish fertilizer for example.

what are you flushing out with organics lol

Yeah I wasnt thinking I would really need t flush since soil is all but depleted anyhow. The cloth pots are fully rooted and so I think I bigger pot with high N organic amendments would be the same as flushing and feeding high N ferts to a chemically fed plant?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I was thinking alfalfa tea
Sure that will work. Basically you need to "tell her" that she will survive if she reverts back to veg. Plenty of water, light and nutrients will help.
:plant grow:

what are you flushing out with organics lol
I've been on both sides of this debate both with chemical and organics. For a finished product there is no need to flush something that has not been over fed. Chemical fertilizers in a dense medium like soil accumulate and are often over fed. Even with organics, unless you're running RO or distilled water, calcium can build up from hard water.

What I'm advocating here is an actual flush of the medium with around 2x the container size. This is after the harvest when you only have a few buds left. This has nothing to do with removing nutrients, rather this will help signal to the plant that there is plenty of water. With plenty of water, light, and Nitrogen the plant will be in a better position to revert back to veg.

Yeah I wasnt thinking I would really need t flush since soil is all but depleted anyhow. The cloth pots are fully rooted and so I think I bigger pot with high N organic amendments would be the same as flushing and feeding high N ferts to a chemically fed plant?
You can re-veg in many ways, I'm just saying what has worked well for me in the past. While I don't use chemical fertilizers, I do use bottled FPE which is a similar mentality, so your milage may very.
:tiphat:

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I love how this thread covers everything, makes for some good conversations. That being said, how about we check out what's been going on in my workshop this week.

The screens got a good training. I pushed all the fan leaves behind the screen rather than pruning them. They got fed homemade cannabis leaf FPE and fish hydrolysate fertilizer. They then got a foliar spray of homemade CalPhos on the back fan leaves. They were flipped Sunday.
picture.php

This week's harvest is two Deadhead OG that went 10 weeks. As you can see, these two got too tall, so I tried the 'Z' bend. Things seemed to work out well they will probably yield well. Last week's Deadhead OG at 11 weeks yielded 3.5 grams dried. First time I hit my goal in the perpetual.
picture.php

The Bubba Kush S1 is growing pretty well now. You can clearly see the eight tops. I installed the cut down tomatoe ring and lowered the plant another two inches. She is only 6 inches tall, that's partly due to the training method. The plan is to grow her out to 9" then flipped to 12/12.
picture.php

The Lowryder is looking good. They got a decent watering a few days ago while still getting a couple of ounces each day. Now that they are getting bigger, I've turned the lights on all the way. The other Lowryder is odd, it has cotyledons but no leaves are coming out. I can't really see anything, I doubt that one will make it.
picture.php

Here are the rest of the autoflowers just chilling and growing.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
The capillary mat is working wonderfully. I gave them some veg nutrients according to the bottle and they just exploded. Blueberry is almost double it's old size. They completely drained the res, so I filled it with bloom nutrients (Lucas 8/16). This section is ready to flip to 12/12, so we should know sex pretty soon.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Bubba Kush S1 isn't looking too hot, or rather maybe she is looking too hot. The temperature is 79-81°F, a little warm but not extreme. I thought she was over watered, so I gave her a week before watering her again today. She didn't take much water, perhaps the nutrients were too strong last time. I did see a few fungus gnats on the rim when I watered, usually a sign of over water.
picture.php

She's at about 8" tall now, so I also lowered her another 2". I only have another 2" more I can lower her. I wanted to flower her at about 9" so I also switched the light from 20/4 to 18/6. Hopefully she snaps out of it and I can flower her soon. The clone in the coliseum still isn't shown sex yet.

Speaking of clones, today was clone day. I know a day late. I have a few patients asking me for clones, so I took 17 total. That's right 17 clones in 2'x1' footprint and 4" of headroom! That's how DrBudGreenGeens taught me how to do it.
picture.php

In 3-4 weeks they will look something like these babies here. The direct planting has worked out very well. Look at these eight healthy babies ready to keep the coliseum running smoothly. Running a clone factory is a lot of work.
picture.php

These bonsai moms can really put out the cuttings. I even had a few that I didnt have room for. Here is my current stable:

Agent Orange (clone)
Adonis* (clone)
Blue Dream* (clone)
Deadhead OG (bag seed)
Delicious Candy (free seed)
Holy Grail 69 (free seed)
Juanita la Lagrimosa THC (seed)
Juanita la Lagrimosa THC/CBD (seed)
OG Kush (free seed)
Strawberry Blue (clone)
Tahoe OG (elite clone)
Zack Haze* (clone)
* New clones I've never flowered.

I'm not sure why people like my cuts. The only elite I have is Tahoe OG, though it's one of my favorite cultivars. Elites are hard to come by out here. I thought I had a line one GG#4, but it fell through. I have a few seeds still I want to go through and am always willing to try something new.

The poor Zak Haze almost died from lack of water. When I got her she was soaking wet, dripping still. I assumed she was cloned with Rockwood which I have a tendency to over water. Well it's an oasis cube and she barely survived the drought. She has been watered twice since and is going to pull through.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Maybe try some DE and neem meal on top of the soil to help with the dwellers?
Its covered in granulated DE, and mixed throughout. I've used neem and SM-90 last feeding. The pot is re-used soil no-till from last grow, so I suspect they are munching on the old roots. Fungus gnats are a symptom IMO, not a problem. If my soil microbes are healthy and thriving, the fungus gnats get out competed for food. They are also a symptom of over watering.

It's most likely over watered, 1/2 gallon to runoff after a full week, she's not drinking much. Between lowering it, shortening the grow cycle and plain water, she should snap right out of it.

Latest posts

Latest posts