What's new

CONTAINER FEEDINGS

VERMONSTAH

I have alot of time on my hands, I was walking my dog back from the woods this am and i had a thought, Could i just use smart pots or a breathable fabric almost like burlap sacks coffee beans come in(the 100 pound ones) Could i plant in those 10-15 gallons, and instead of watering from the top and letting it drip down is it possible to just have the containers sit in the watering or feeding and to absorb it up from the bottom? I'd much rather use this method and was curious if anyone who grows in soil has tried this? Uses this method? Any help would be appreciated.

Easy7

Veteran
They make containers that suck from a bottom tray. I started with these and there are issues. They tend to over saturate the bottom and leave the top dry. Nature does not rain from he bottom up.

VERMONSTAH

No nature does not rain from the bottom up, good point. I wanted to try this because ive noticed my soil has "dry spots" that arent being evenly watered.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I use a submersion technique like DrBudGreengenes to water my SOG. I use tall, skinny containers like a 500ml soda bottle with the top cut off. I put the pot in a 2L pitcher about full of water until it sinks to the bottom. I then pull it out to drain, give a little squeeze, and put it back. Repeat as necessary adding water to the pitcher as needed.

VERMONSTAH

Thankyou for sharing. I think i am going to experiment with a few plants this round. I popped a few garlic bud and they have blessed me with 28 out of 30 being healthy. Wish i would have found this site in 1992 when i took shit seriously about this plant.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I had some of the ones that held about a 10 gal volume of medium. That sat on top of a 4" base. The top container had two slits in the bottom of it. A cotton wick about 18" long and 3" wide fed thru the holes like a belt would on a pair of pants. The wick ran the length of the bottom of the top container, then dangled down into the base on both sides, which was full of water.

They worked well, but not as good as i hoped. Water-logged roots is what happened. Now if the top container was full of holes on the sides(for air exchange) the "water roots" would adjust, along with the plant, and normal growth would happen.

I have seen that first hand with outdoor plants in 5 gal pails. The sides on the bottom of the pail were full of holes. The bottom was too, but roots shot thru, and into the pre-dug holes full of water(edge of swamp). Those roots adjusted and became "water roots" while the rest of the roots in the bucket thrived in their oxygen rich environment.

VERMONSTAH

Boy am i glad i asked before i got all flustered! Wow guys thankyou, Obviously i will have to figure a way to evenly incorporate my waterings.....i truly hate dry spots in my soil.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Within the medium or crusting of the soil surface?

A relatively inert mulch would help if the latter, coir, hydroton, etc.

Dunking or adding a wetting agent for the former.

Cheers

CANNABEST

I'm experimenting with some soil on flood and draIn table right now. Under feeding from bottom all the time for hydro medium, so why won't it work for soil?

greenthumbgirl

Sounds to me like your soil might be unevenly mixed. Capillary action is what allows soil to be watered from the bottom. As long as your medium is compacted (but not too tight! don't squish the roots) and evenly mixed you should have no problem watering from the bottom.

VERMONSTAH

overzealous amounts of perlite and vermiculite were added with reckless abandon. We have a new batch ready to rock atm!

Latest posts

Latest posts